multiple workspaces and greek constructs

Ron Bailey

I have been experimenting with multiple workspaces and greek constructs!!

Currently I have two workspaces

1. My default workspace RB workspace

http://img.skitch.com/20090717-num2qwq6a5ntg4mmsnicjshjpu.preview.jpg

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

2. then I have a workspace based on Dr J's podcast using the ESV and related study materials.

http://img.skitch.com/20090717-nbeeh6kjqtbp4usq36hhkqb7g7.preview.jpg

The first of these has all the tabbed sheets 'tied' to the first tab ie Base Text

I have tried to do something similar with the ESV study workspace but it has not been effective.

Using the RB workspace and with the Greek texts tab I tried to create a simple Greek construct. "the ages of the the ages" (in Greek) but I get the error "

http://img.skitch.com/20090717-cwwswc4uett7t9w9jqpgh4q95t.preview.jpg

When I change to my ESV workspace and then try to do a construct from there. I get the same error even though I am working in a different workspace. The only way I can get it to work is to create a third workspace with just Greek texts in it. I then have to physically close the other two workspaces and THEN it works.

Am I confusing Accordance by having 'tied' the Greek texts in one workspace and then trying to operate in another workspace?

Ron:

The basic problem is that when you link the construct to a search tab or window, that window must have a unique name. I would simply set the name of the tab to something else (right-click on the tab to choose that item from the pop-up menu), and reset the link. I suspect that another open workspace has a tab named Base text. Accordance should not care how many tabs are "tied" to the Base text tab, nor whether it is in the same workspace, it just looks for any tabs or windows with that name, and grumbles if it finds more than one.

Ron:

The basic problem is that when you link the construct to a search tab or window, that window must have a unique name. I would simply set the name of the tab to something else (right-click on the tab to choose that item from the pop-up menu), and reset the link. I suspect that another open workspace has a tab named Base text. Accordance should not care how many tabs are "tied" to the Base text tab, nor whether it is in the same workspace, it just looks for any tabs or windows with that name, and grumbles if it finds more than one.

Helen

Thanks, as ever, for your prompt response.

I don't have another workspace with a "Base Text" tab. I wondered if Accordance was looking for the first tab so I altered the order of the tabs on my RB workspace.(this tab has text modules GNT-BYZ, GNT-TRS and KJVS) I rest the cursor in the blank search box and create my Greek construct. This time the error message says ...

http://img.skitch.com/20090718-kcfgy79xp8q...eview.jpg[/img]

I have the search aimed at GNT-BRS and when I try the construct it creates the words " [LINK Greek Construct] " in the search window but still gives the same error window.

I think you had better save your entire session and email it to me so that I can try to follow what is going on.

OK, I did get your session, and you have two of each workspace opening at the same time, and two copies of a Greek texts tab. You should either close the duplicates and resave the session, or rename the workspaces and tabs so that they all have unique names, especially the tabs that might link to another window like the Construct.

Yes, had noticed that. I think it occurs because I am often switching between the two workspaces by using the Favourites Star in the Resource Palette. Does this mean than each time I use the Favourites I create new version of the original workspace? and does it mean that I really ought to switch between workspaces by using Windows/Library/Workspace route?

Hi, Ron!

Yes, each time you click a "Favorites" on the Resource palette you open another copy of that Favorite. I'd recommend switching between workspaces using the the "Windows" menu. The bottom section lists every window that's open.

Alternately, you could use the "Arrange" command (Command-I) once you have all your workspaces open. "Stacking" the windows will allow you to bring each to the front by clicking on that portion of the title bar that's visible. That would be a bit faster.

Thanks Dr J! (and Helen)

I really want to say that the service you folks provide in supporting this application is second to none! The series by David Lang and your own podcasts have increased my productive use of Accordance 10-fold, and this forum is a great help.

many thanks for all your labours.

You can tell Dr. J is a long time Mac user by the fact that he mentioned the "Windows" menu. In the classic Mac OS, the "Windows" menu was used to switch between windows, but with OS X, this menu got changed to the "Window" menu. I've always wondered if this is because Apple want to avoid any mention of "Windows" in its operating system!

Thank you, Ron! Serving users like you is a joy!

David, you are so right! I bought one of the first hundred Macs sold in Michigan in 1984 and have never looked back. Would you believe I never even noticed Apple changed the "Windows" menu name to "Window?" I even remember (somewhat fondly) a little screensaver that appeared when MS first came out with the Windows OS. "Bill Gates does windows" was a little caricature of Mr. Gates, cleaning the screen ("window") on my Mac.

and that means, of course, that the Mac keyboard shortcut of CMD~ switches between those 'windows' very neatly. I hadn't thought of that, so I can do it without my hands leaving the keyboard.

thanks again.

Archived