HCSB 2nd ed

wkrewson

When will you offer the updated Holman Christian Standard Bible (2nd ed)?

If possible, I'd like to request it be treated as a separate module from the first edition HCSB as was done with the two editions of the NLT. That way comparisons between the two editions could be made.

We got into trouble when we did that with the ESV, so it will depend on what the publishers want. New editions are a lot of work for us as we usually have to do all the conversion work all over again, and of course, no one wants to pay for the upgrade!

I am told, this is definitely "in the works" for release with Strong's numbers later in the fall, so it will be a separate module.

I am told, this is definitely "in the works" for release with Strong's numbers later in the fall, so it will be a separate module.

Excellent! Thank you.

• 1 year later...

I am wondering what happened with this. I have both the HCSB and I just purchased the upgrade to add Strong's, but the "About The Text" info has the same copyright info. I believe there is a later 2009 edition and an earlier 2004 text. Here is an link to an article I found on it... http://thislamp.com/?p=54

Can someone elaborate on what the status is and whether the HCSB is the 2004 edition and the HCSB with Strong's is the 2009 edition? Thank you!!!

HSCB with Strong's:

Holman Christian Standard Bible

The text of both modules is now actually the 2009 revision, but Holman did not provide updated copyright information to us when we updated the text. Sorry for the confusion.

Beyond copyright, one way to determine which version of the HCSB you have is to look at Ephesians 2:2--

I seem to have the "lower heavens" version/edition/revision. I really wish they would treat the Word like I used to treat my programming revisions at least in keeping separate versions of each published past version/edition/revision for comparison purposes. I would like to be able to research the actual history of what changes took place when. I was reading a Post the other day where there was speculation as to which version of the KJV Accordance was using... I think this is a problem. I would like to see Accordance keep a history with MD5 checksums for the files and make that available in the s/w to users. As a User I would like to see a reliable history of the text in the About the Text accessible within the program with a user ability to verify the MD5 checksum for the module. This I feel is important when we are talking about God's word. I would like to have the previous editions of all of the versions I have, but my guess is that there will be some reason that this is impossible... I'm a little discouraged about asking for things that aren't extant as there seems all too often to be some reason it can't be done. I believe any changes to Bible text should be open and out front and I believe the rationale should be explained and available. This is the Word of God and no other writing is comparable so any changes to it by anyone should be fully visible to those using it. Just my heartfelt opinion. The idea of unadvertised changes that have to be ferreted out by the users to see advertisement is disturbing and dampens any trust in the producers and maintainers of the text and in their faithfulness to their fiduciary responsibility if you will.

Thank you for your post and "ferreting"!

Robert

PS If Accordance is listening... can I get the older version/versions of the HCSB and ESV? Thanks.

I never have let Accordance update my original HCSB text, but use the HCSBS as my updated text. I like having them both for comparison sake. The downside is that I have to regularly tell the Check for Updates not to update it. I've backed up a copy of the original HCSB to my iDisk in case I ever accidentally replace it.

PPS I would like to do the same as you, but I wish it didn't require such effort. I hope Accordance is listening and makes it easier by adding a permanent option for updates that prevents the overlay of the old file and instead moves to generation filenames as an option... they could just use a date in the filename or an edition number scheme.

Thank you for your input. I was able to find the older copy of the HCSB v1.3 which has "atmospheric domain". I moved the current HSCB v2.1 to my desktop and moved the earlier HCSB v1.3 to the Texts folder. It worked like a champ. I was hoping I could just give the modules different names like HCSBv1.3 and HCSBv2.1 but this seems to render them inaccessible to Accordance.. thus the filenames must be hardcoded into the application. I somehow feel that it would be good if each new edition (not fixes to incongruities between the actual revision and the Accordance file) should be available in Accordance. For example, the NIV really has 3 revisions as I understand it: NIV1978, NIV1984, and NIV2011.

Beyond copyright, one way to determine which version of the HCSB you have is to look at Ephesians 2:2--

"in which you previously walked according to this worldly age, according to the ruler of the atmospheric domain, the spirit now working in the disobedient." (Eph 2:2 HCSB)

Note the very awkward sounding phrase "ruler of the atmospheric domains."

The same verse in the updated HCSB reads

"in which you previously walked according to the ways of this world, according to the ruler who exercises authority over the lower heavens, the spirit now working in the disobedient." (Eph 2:2 HCSB)

"lower heavens" is still a bit academic sounding in my mind, but regardless, a good way to know which version you have.

I never have let Accordance update my original HCSB text, but use the HCSBS as my updated text. I like having them both for comparison sake. The downside is that I have to regularly tell the Check for Updates not to update it. I've backed up a copy of the original HCSB to my iDisk in case I ever accidentally replace it.

The way these things work in Accordance we cannot change the name and have it update at will. Either we keep the same name and it's a free and virtually automatic update, or we change the name, and you order the new module. It's up to the publisher whether they want it to be a paid upgrade. I think that usually when these are considered corrections to a previous edition, the publisher wants it to be free and automatic, but when it is a major edition they want a new name and a royalty.

Archived