Geography resources

A.D. Riddle

The website does not give very much information about the Dictionary of Place Names. I would like to know the following things:

(1) Was this originally a print dictionary or was it created specifically for Accordance?

(2) What is the publication/creation date?

(3) Who wrote/researched or edited the dictionary?

I often want to know this kind of information for other Accordance products but it is not provided in many of the product descriptions I have looked at.

Likewise, who participated in, or was consulted for, the creation of the Atlas? I would like to know more about the production of the Atlas before I consider spending money on it.

Thanks.

A.D.

The answer to both questions is really the same. Greg Ward did most of the research for the sites in the Atlas, and that work is detailed in the Sites module. Based on that research, and using all the accordance resources then available, David Lang created the Place Names module which became the core of the PhotoGuide. The sources of the information are documented in the Atlas supplement which can be downloaded here.

These are teaching tools more than research tools, and hence we cannot document the source of each fact and figure.

I'd encourage everyone who uses Accordance to spring for the Graphics Resources DVD [Atlas, Timeline, PhotoGuide]: http://www.accordancebible.com/store/detai...hics+DVD+Bundle. With the media deluge we experience every day, all of us have become much more "visual learners." Remember the old saying " a picture is worth a thousand words?" Some things are just hard to convey using words, but a picture [or map] does so instantly and easily.

Video projectors, HD televisions and the like have become so commonplace that teachers are expected to use multimedia in their lectures. Sadly, some have settled for just displaying their lecture outline on the screen, boring their students to death [or to sleep!]. It's amazing how the same class will come to life when students can see maps, photos, graphs, diagrams, illustrations, even video clips. Sure, it's more work for those of us that teach, but students will enjoy the class more and retain the information longer. Isn't that worth it?

Now, I am not speaking as an OakTree employee here, but as a former pastor and college prof of more than 20 years. It's the very reason I bought Accordance the year it was first released, upgrading and adding modules steadily thereafter. I'm committed to using media in my teaching because my students are worth every penny.

Hmmm...

Just reread my post. Hope it doesn't seem too pushy to anyone. I'm just really excited to be able to teach ancient texts with 21st century technology! :D

Doesn't show a bit, does it? [sheepish]

Archived