Highlight function

sunmin Cho

I like to highlight on the panel whenever I find something interesting. However, I was very frustrated that what I highlight is not stored at all. This is what happened. I created New Workspace for each class I am taking. For example, Hebrews. I created a new workspace named Hebrews and highlighted all the passages I wanted to keep track. When I closed it just by pressing red circle on left top and opened it later, I could find what I highlighted before by [style imp] One day I got a bug, my computer froze, and I had to restart computer. Obviously Accordance had to be quit completely. Then, I opened Accordance and the workspace named "Hebrews." But, there was nothing, no highlighted passages at all. So, basically, I think I lost all I highlighted until now. Well, it is stored temporarilly unless you quit Accordance by hitting, "Command+Q." If I quit or have to quit for whatever reason completely by Command+Q, all I highlight before is completely erased, even though I keep saving what I highlight by hitting "Command+S" Is this supposed to be like this? or is there any other way to keep what I highlight on panel?

Highlighting is stored permanently in the .hlt file in your user/Documents/Accordance files/Highlights. You do not need to save anything in order to store it. You may lose a default session if Accordance crashes, but it should be easy to display the same passages in a new window.

If the highlighting is not showing in that window, check your Set Text Pane Display (Display menu) to be sure you are not hiding the highlighting. You can also set that as a preference for all new windows. Whenever you add a highlight you turn off the hiding, so I suspect that your default is now set to hide it.

I hope this helps. This is a powerful program, and there is a lot to learn!

Well, I cannot open "my highlight.hit" it says, "the name "my highlight.hit" cannot be used, since it is used by different type of file." What should I do? And why can't I search what I highlighted by "[style imp]" ?

No, you cannot open that file. You should be able to search for the style. What happens when you try it?

Did you create another Highlight File? If so, are you using the same one in which you did the highlighting?

When I tried to search by "[style imp]", nothing happened. It only says "there is no verses in the current range of the "GNT-T" text, which fits the current search entry. All I highlighted were gone.

If you go to the View menu and choose "Define Highlight Styles," what do you see?

I'm particularly wondering if you see a list of defined highlight styles, and what the drop-down menu next to Highlight File says. Click on that dropdown. Are there any other highlight files listed?

Also, pardon me for an obvious question, but did you highlight the GNT-T or a different text with that style? I ask because I just tested searching by style, and initially got the same type of warning you got. Then I realized I was searching the wrong text for that particular highlighting style.

Lorinda

I have tried to contact Sunmin by phone and email. I think I need to talk to him to try and sort this out.

• 2 weeks later...
I like to highlight on the panel whenever I find something interesting. However, I was very frustrated that what I highlight is not stored at all. This is what happened. I created New Workspace for each class I am taking. For example, Hebrews. I created a new workspace named Hebrews and highlighted all the passages I wanted to keep track. When I closed it just by pressing red circle on left top and opened it later, I could find what I highlighted before by [style imp] One day I got a bug, my computer froze, and I had to restart computer. Obviously Accordance had to be quit completely. Then, I opened Accordance and the workspace named "Hebrews." But, there was nothing, no highlighted passages at all. So, basically, I think I lost all I highlighted until now. Well, it is stored temporarilly unless you quit Accordance by hitting, "Command+Q." If I quit or have to quit for whatever reason completely by Command+Q, all I highlight before is completely erased, even though I keep saving what I highlight by hitting "Command+S" Is this supposed to be like this? or is there any other way to keep what I highlight on panel?

I am also having problems with highlighting. My highlighting is NEVER saved. Each time I close Accordance and them come back and open the file I was working on, all of the highlighting is gone.

Are you sure that your default setting (and the setting in your default startup if you use one) is not to hide the highlighting?

Are you sure that your default setting (and the setting in your default startup if you use one) is not to hide the highlighting?

Yes, I'm sure. I have repeatedly viewed that menu to be sure that it is not set to hide highlights.

Yes, I'm sure. I have repeatedly viewed that menu to be sure that it is not set to hide highlights.

Same thing to me!

I have tried to contact both of you by phone to sort this out, but you have not returned my calls.

• 3 weeks later...

Sunmin Cho came to the Princeton seminar, and showed me the problem. After that I could reproduce it on my MacBook (but not on G4). Our programmers tried but failed to reproduce it so they do not know what to fix. So... under certain conditions, presumably MacIntel, when Accordance creates a new My Highlights file which by default has just the yellow Important style, the file is bad. Not only does it not save the highlighting of words, it also does not allow you to add or edit the styles (you can edit but you cannot save the changes).

The workaround is to download a set of prepared styles in a good file, such as David's Markers styles available on the Exchange. Place them in the user/Documents/Accordance files/Highlights folder and delete the bad My Highlights file. Restart Accordance and you should now be able to create new Highlights files and new styles, and save highlighting.

• 2 months later...

Thank you for this Helen. I was about to pull out my hair trying to figure out why my highlights weren't saving. This suggestion works perfectly.

Actually, Helen, I don't think it is. I am using 7.4.2 and I still had the problem with saving highlights until I tried your tip. This is on a Core Solo Intel Mac mini.

Don

I meant the bug that created the bad file. Once it is there you cannot do anything with it, true. We finally tracked down what was causing it.

Archived