Word with verse search bug

Sean R.

When I attempt to override looking up a word with verse by holding down the shift key while triple-clicking, a dialog box opens asking me to find the file "Bible Dictionaries" which is the name of a folder I created to organize my English tools. When I deleted that folder and then attempted to override by holding down the shift key, another dialog opened asking me to find the file "Topical" which is the name of another folder I created to organize my English tools.

When I deleted all the folders and dividers I had created to organize my English tools, the override worked fine. If there are any dividers or folders, it doesn't.

• 1 month later...

Is this bug still around? I am getting something similar but not the same. When I hold shift and triple click a word I get the same results as just triple clicking...in other words the override isn't working.

If I use the amplify menu at the top instead of triple clicking it works as it should. I have no dividers or folders in my Greek Tools menu.

You are correct that this is a bug. It worked in 8.1 and stopped working in 8.1.1. We will look into it.

No, this is my mistake. We discovered a conflict in the shift override and corrected it in 8.1.1. As documented in the Help (by me, but I had forgotten):

The Include reference when amplifying option in Preferences>General (Application or Edit menu or command-,) automatically adds an extra field with the verse reference of the selection, when you amplify from a text to a tool. This highlights the verse reference within the article found by the primary search. If the exact reference is not found with the selection, the tool is searched for the selection alone. Pressing shift while amplifying overrides the current setting of this option except in the following cases, when the shift is used as a different modifier:

• triple-click shortcut
  • Look Up in the contextual menu
  • when option is also pressed.

No, this is my mistake. We discovered a conflict in the shift override and corrected it in 8.1.1. As documented in the Help (by me, but I had forgotten):

Helen, so are you saying the shift override doesn't work with triple click, contextual menu-lookup, and when holding option?

Would that mean the only time the shift override works is if you click on the Amplify menu?

Archived