How to go back to a prior verse or search?

rborden

This is a failry simple question. When I am in my search window how can one go to their previous search or verse? I would love to see a "prior" search or verse or something that lets us easily go backwards from when we started our session. I always have to go over to the history and scroll to where I need to go, not a very robust way to do it, especially when you are looking up scripture when someone is talking or you yourself are. It seems to me I did see a prior button but it has disappeared. Your help and thoughts are greatly appreciated!

richard

The Prior button appears at the bottom of a Tool window (not Texts) when you've clicked on internal hyperlinks (e.g. in a grammar, for example).

For Texts, you only have the History popup. I suppose keyboard shortcuts could be assigned for quickly cycling back and forth through the history...

There are a number of things you can do.

1. If you're trying to follow along with a Bible study that is jumping back and forth between passages, don't do a verse search for those passages at all. Instead, leave the search set to the asterisk (*), which displays the entire text, and use the Go To box at the bottom right to quickly jump to the passages you want. For more on this, see this blog post: Getting to the Verse You Want.

2. As you're jumping to various passages, you can bookmark a passage to navigate to it quickly. Just option-click the verse you want to get back to and you'll see a blue bookmark appear next to that verse. You'll also see two new up and down arrow buttons at the bottom left labeled "Mark." You can click these buttons to go back and forth between marked passages.

3. Another approach would be to use the tabbed Workspace window and have a Search window displaying one passage. Then duplicate that tab using Command-D and do a new search or navigate to a new passage in that tab. To switch between passages, you would simply switch between tabs.

Hope this helps.

When I tried your step two I found that step 1 had put blue bookmarks on all the verses, so that to option-click on one of them simply removed its bookmark and lefgt all thev erses I didn't want marked -- marked.

Professor Hoffner,

I would suspect that you have the Add Context button in the More Options section of the search window set to All. Beyond that I'm not sure what you're doing, but it sounds like you're either doing a search for the asterisk in word search mode, OR you're in verse search mode and entering the passage you want to see in the search entry box in the top of the window rather than the Go To Box at the bottom right.

When your search context is set to All, Accordance uses bookmarks to mark all the "hit" verses. This is so that you can use the Mark buttons to quickly navigate to each hit verse. If you option-click one of these marked verses, you'll remove the bookmark.

If you can tell me more specifically what you're doing to get all the bookmarks, I can offer more specific help.

• 3 weeks later...

David,

I guess a simple example is an internet browser. I can search via google and when I wnat to go backwards I click only 1 button, the back button, and backwards I go regardless of where I have been. One might also think of an undo button because it too acts in a similar way. Perhaps this sheds some light on what I am looking for. Most applications have a back or undo button with the exception of Accordance and a few others.

Thanks,

Richard

I can't imagine exactly how it would work. Accordance is so much more complex than a simple web browser window or a word processing window. In a web browser I have one window. I go to another page. I go back. Easy. But with Accordance... Well, right now my Accordance screen is set up with 3 tabs. One has 5 panes, one has 1, and one has 2. Usually if I "go to something new" it opens a new pane or tab and to go back I just click on the tab I want to go back to or just look back at the pane that is still visible. Sometimes I leave the new one open if I want to go back and forth, or I close it if I am done with it. Accordance, with its tabs and panes in a workspace is so much more powerful than a web browser or word processor.

Could you tell me exactly the circumstances you are in in Accordance when a back button would be good, and what exactly would happen when you clicked it?

Very simply, I want to be able to use "one button click" to go backwards in my search history. It doesn't have to close the new windows from previous searches, just get me back to a point that I would like. I don't like having to open the history dialog to go backwards. Most programs that I use have a single button button to go back. Accordance is a wonderful program, outstanding; this one feature would add some quick backward navigating in a very simple way.

I am a novice user, I purchased Accordance in Jan of this year and now I have 10 months experience. With that in mind, many power users find my request hard to understand for some reason.

Regards,

Richard

Ah, I think I see now. Sorry I am a little thick-headed. Sometimes I need you to "draw me a picture" in order to get it. I think this is the picture: You've done a search, read what you want, hit tab, type another reference, view the results, hit tab, type another reference, view the results. Now you want to step backward. Easily. With a back button. One click.

Sounds reasonable. If Accordance can do the History pull-down menu, it ought to be able to do a back button.

My question. How do the Quicksilver enthusiasts navigate back in the above scenario?

Do you mean Quickverse? I own Quickverse and it does have a primary "previous" & "next" button as well as these small arrows in each window. The small arrows work the way a "back" button should work (or rather the way I am talking about). The large primary "previous" & "next" button does not take you backwards where you have been, rather, it takes you to prior chapters of the book you are in. Likewise, the "next" button takes you forward to the next chapter(s).

For what it's worth.

Richard

No, Quicksilver. For a little background, check out

http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/inde...c=1093&st=0

Quicksilver is something that lets you launch things and more, with a minimum of effort, or a minimum of mouse use. I know it couldn't do something as simple as a back button, but I am wondering what people that are into QS do to get back in the scenario described above. Do they use History? Do they just retype the reference they want to go back to? Or is there some efficient, easy way to go back one step that we are overlooking? I brought up the QS gang because they seem to be into making Accordance quicker and easier to use.

Archived