Upgrade GNT28-T to NA28-T or USB4-T???

Nicholous Rogers

I'm using Bill Mounce's "Basics of Biblical Greek Grammar" which in turn uses the GNT28-T. I see that I can upgrade to the NA28-T or USB4-T. Would there be any advantage for me to take either upgrade path at a time when I'm just getting into the basics of Greek grammar? If so, which path should I take?

• Like 1

The question is whether you want to be able to access the textual apparatus, to see the manuscript variants. It's a really fascinating and important field, but if you're just getting started with Greek, I'd suggest you just add them to your Wishlist for now and come back to them a bit later.

• Like 1

As a general guideline, USB apparatus is more designed for translators and pastors (who translate the text while preparing a sermon) in a way that it gives only those readings that are relevant to translation plus their "weight", and more detailed comments on those readings.

NA28 one is more comprehensive (contains more readings), but rather for scholars (whatever that means)

:)

Edited by rokas
  • Like 1

I'm using Bill Mounce's "Basics of Biblical Greek Grammar" which in turn uses the GNT28-T. I see that I can upgrade to the NA28-T or USB4-T. Would there be any advantage for me to take either upgrade path at a time when I'm just getting into the basics of Greek grammar? If so, which path should I take?

Hi Nicholous, as an idea, at my local seminary, they do a full year of Greek - 6 hours a week - before they are introduced to the apparatus. If I was you, unless there was a kill-em-for-it special on, I would wait for the apparatus until a) I was more confident in greek, and B) I could find some training course to help me understand the significance of all the itty bitty numbers...

And, the NA28 is significantly more complex than UBS4 (and the now released UBS5 in physical volume - no I don’t know if it’s in the works). It’s often a matter of taste, or familiarity, but the UBS4 is more than enough for most serious NT readers and exegetes.

Just my 2c

Edited by Ken Simpson
  • Like 2

Nicholous — You've been given some good advice. I would recommend waiting, too. At some point you will probably want to own an apparatus. I'd certainly wait until the UBS5th comes out. If Ken doesn't know when that will be, I certainly don't know. I do expect it to happen, however. It's just a matter of when.

Enjoy your study of Koine Greek. It's a lot of fun, and I suspect that it might be addictive, at least for some of us.

• Like 2

Thanks all for the great advice! I will put them on my wish list and wait until I'm a little more of my basic Greek under my belt

As Ken says, I'll wait and see if there is a "kill-em-for-it" special on them and take the plunge then.

And yes, Julie; it is quite addictive to learn the language of the NT.

• Like 2

The original languages are so much fun. I began working with them over six years ago myself and I've never looked back - Enjoy!

Edited by Pchris
  • Like 1

Hi Nicholous. I too support Ken's comment. We went through three years of solid greek training in college before we even bought our UBS text. Until you can recite the "mi" verbs and the "e/o" and "a/o" contract verbs in your sleep, the apparatus isn't going to do you much good.

When you do want to move into using the apparatus from the UBS and NA text it's not exactly easy to choose. The NA text has been newly updated to include papyri witnesses. But the UBS text includes more witnesses from the church fathers (which can be helpful sometimes). So, if you can make sense of how to get around the apparatus in each, I'd wait for sale and then get both. Then I'd get the CNTTS apparatus. That was just updated a couple of weeks ago. And finally, if you got loads of cash to throw into this stuff, I'd get Comfort's commentary on the variants. I don't go along with absolutely everything he says, but he gives you the arguments for each side of a variant and then weighs in with his own judgement.

Just remember the old joke/proverb: Hebrew you never learn right the first time (you just keep relearning it about a dozen times throughout your ministry). Greek you had better get right the first time. In my ministry I have found that to be very true. Spend your time learning your stuff well.