Extra Fields Search Options

Robb B

Tonight while searching some Journals in Accordance 7.0.1, I realized that the search options in extra fields under more options are significantly fewer than in the main search box. For example, if I want to search for the keywords "Adam," "Christ," "headship" and the Scripture reference Rom 5:12-21, I have to put the English content in the main search entry box because the command <AND> is not available in the extra fields search entry boxes (I could use three extra fields joined by AND all searching English content I suppose, but that begins to take up some screen real estate on my 12" iBook). Also, with the Scripture references, if I want to indicate Rom 5:12ff, I would have to put the Scripture reference in the main box because the tag "ff" (as well as a couple others) are not available within the extra fields area. It would be nice if all the commands and search options were available in the extra fields as well as the main search entry box. Also it would be nice if we could add extra fields when doing a search all. Right now I can't search all my journals at the same time using Scripture references AND English content (at least as far as I can tell). Is there perhaps something I'm missing, or is this an enhancement that is still forthcoming?

One more idea: it would be helpful if my extra fields were not eliminated when I change from one resource to another. Allowing a search across multiple resources with extra fields would make this less of an issue, but it still takes up time to re-create my extra field search parameters every time I switch to a new journal/systematic theology/etc. Thanks!

The extra fields do allow all the same search options as the main entry. There is a bug that the commands menu is dimmed and the shift-command shortcuts do not work, but if you type in the command it does work. We will fix the bug for the next release.

The reason we clear the extra fields is that each tool has its own set of fields, so if you left them open you would get nonsense. Sorry for the extra hassle!

Extra fields in Search All?? -- dream on! Again, each tool has its own set depending on the structure and needs of the tool.

That's good to know. I'll type the commands until the bug gets fixed.

I understand the reasoning behind clearing the fields. My thought is this: How realistic is an if...then statement to compare the current extra fields to the new extra fields, and if they're identical, not clearing them, if they are different, clearing them? Or if an extra field is in use in the current tool, and a new tool is selected that doesn't include that search option, then clearing it? Obviously I don't know the structure of the code for Accordance, so I don't know how easy it would be to compare on the fly one tool with another and execute the if-then statement without bogging down the system.

While we're dreaming, what about having the option of adding the lowest common denominator of extra fields in search all? Set up a query with joined fields set to only show the identical matches of the various extra fields between tools, and then in the extra fields have the results of that query. Again, I am completely ignorant of your code-base and database structure, so I have no idea if it's feasible to do something like that. At the very least, would it be possible to set up the extra fields just to add the current fields available in search all (English, Greek, Hebrew, Scripture) so I could choose "Greek" and "Scripture" or some other combination?

Thanks for listening. In my opinion, Accordance is the best software out there with the best community of users, support, and philosophy of what Bible study software should be. I never even considered using Bible software until I found Accordance because all other options wasted my time with a bulky interface and poor organization. I'm thankful to the Lord for the work you do.

Archived