Searching for an entry in the Dictionary of Classical Hebrew

Nick Laurence

What am I doing wrong here? In BDB I can enter a Hebrew lemma such as סבב and hit enter; it takes me to that entry. In DCH I try the same thing and it produces an error message:

These words (or verse references) were not found in the tool "DCH".

Perhaps the range selected in the browser should be changed or removed.

It fails to move to the correct entry. The only way I can find the entry is to manually scroll through the index, which is a pain.

It's probably something obvious, but I can't find it. Any help would be gratefully received.

I cannot replicate this. Is the blue box in the search window (next to the magnifying glass icon, far left) set to "HEBREW ENTRY" or "HEBREW CONTENT?"

Also, click the + button to the right of the search entry box and make sure there are no secondary constraints like "SCRIPTURE" with a reference that probably does not contain the lemma you wished to search.

Edited by Michael J. Bolesta

The blue search box is set to "HEBREW ENTRY" and clicking + reveals a new command line with a blue box saying "TITLES" but is otherwise blank.

What versions of Accordance and the tool are you searching? If I remember correctly there was some missing content in the initial DCH release that was added by a later (free) update. Also, can you post a screenshot of your search? Mine works and looks like this:

I have version 1.0 of DCH, but the updater isn't offering me anything more. For Accordance I have 10.1.3 and again the updater isn't offering me anything more. I don't know how to do screen shots I'm afraid.

Joel

I too have DCH 1.0

What is the latest version? Like you I had no issue running the search. Accordance 10.1.3 on Mac OS 10.8.2

Nick

There is a keyboard shortcut for screen shots that I cannot recall, but your Mac should have the program "Grab" in your utilities folder (which is in the applications folder). You can use it to capture a screen or window shot.

Thanks, I've removed it and easy-downloaded it again, and that's done the trick. Many thanks.

My suspicion was correct then. I believe the updated version number wasn't incremented to 1.1.

My suspicion was correct then. I believe the updated version number wasn't incremented to 1.1.

Interesting. I downloaded as soon as DCH was available and do not recall updating it. Yet I could not replicate this problem.