encyclopedia judaica

danzac

I asked a number of months back if there were any plans to have an encyclopedia judaica module for Accordance. If I remember correctly the answer was no because it would be a massive project that would halt a bunch of others and that a suitable module covering similar material was being sought. In view of the recent announcement of the 2d edition of Encyclopedia Judaica, I was wondering if there has been any progress in this regard. Will there be a way to read about Maimonedes in Accordance soon, or will I still have to rely on the internet B)

Danny

• Like 1

The publisher of the Encyclopedia Judaica (Thomson-Gale) has no plans to license an electronic version - in fact, they seem completely uninterested in doing so. The are selling it in an eBook format (for 10% more than the printed edition), which gives the buyer access to a password protected web site.

RK

Edited by DavidKrishef

• 3 weeks later...

Actually we are pursuing this material again, wondering how much interest there will be.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Encyclopedia Judaica would be an outstanding addition to Accordance.

Does OakTree have the resources to dedicate toward its development?

Helen, are there other options that you are considering?

Although I am one who has said this resource would be great, it is massive and would slow down other projects I imagine. On reflecting on this, I also realize that much of the encyclopedia Judaica material would fall out of the area that Accordance is concentrated on, in that it covers Judaism up to the 20th century. I would imagine that Accordance users need for it would focus on the early centuries and articles related to the mishna and early Rabbinic literature. But I may be wrong.

Having said that, it would be an incredible resource to have on Accordance, but I imagine it would take a lot of work.

• 5 months later...

I would be interested.

• 11 years later...

+1 for Encyclopedia Judaica, or another Jewish Encyclopedia.

I'd love to see this in Accordance too, if we can come to terms with the publisher. I still have it as an electronic version that I run in a Windows XP virtual machine. 

… I still have it as an electronic version that I run in a Windows XP virtual machine. 

I'm glad to see that I am not the only one to keep access to old resources by using a Windows XP virtual machine, though I must admit that current versions of WINE are getting so much better that I have reduced my dependency on the virtual machine. Here is an old saying in a new framework: Old software never dies, it just virtualizes.

Shalom,

Joseph

• Like 1

Yes, thank you Helen.  I'm potentially interested in any and all Jewish resources, and I think I've now acquired essentially everything Accordance offers.  (I'm so grateful for these tools).  I saw that a competitor has a one of the multi-volume Jewish encyclopedias, and I also have them electronically on Windows, as Mark said above, but I would love to see them integrated into Accordance.

Edited by TYA
  • Like 1

I join the above statement. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Reviving this thread to see if there is still interest in this one. Since it's Public Domain, I wonder if it'd make a good User Tool.

• Like 2