Finding the number of verses in each book

Jonna Schmidt

I have a rather basic question which I can not find in the podcasts. Back in the older versions of Accordance, if I did a search of (for example): Genesis Chapter 1: only 31 verses would be listed, such that: if I were to scroll down to gen 1:14, it would say: verse 14 of 31

Now: it will say verse 14 of 31219.

I teach Sunday School, and I am about to start teaching the Old Testament history over the next year. So that I can "teach the entire counsel of God", my goal is to keep my teaching "proportionate" that said passage represents.

So, for example... if Genesis would constitute "20%" of the Old Testament historical books, I would desire that about 20% of our lessons would come from Genesis.

The bottom line: I want to know: just how many verses are in Genesis, then Exodus.... etc.

I suspect that I need to adjust my preferences, but I can not figure out what to do.

Again, my goal is to type in a book in the search pane (such as 3John which is 15 verses), and have the search pane say: 15 verses.

THANKS

Jonna from Michigan

• Like 1

I kind of found an answer to my question, but it is "clunky", and I am hoping that someone has some better options.

Here is what I did:

I opened a PANE called "All verses"

Then, in the SECOND pane, I entered:

[HITS all verses] <AND> [RANGE genesis]

This yielded 1533 verses.

Now.... I was able to "solve the issue", but it is a "clunky" solution. Is there an easier option?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

Jonna, to your first question, you need to adjust the context slider to "0" by sliding it to the far left. It sounds like you've got it set to the far right, "A" for "All."

post-31802-0-54365700-1404093205_thumb.png

You can also do a Word search for * so we can display analytics on your text. Once your search has been completed, open the 'Table' analytic. From the Table, select Customize Display, and select the checkboxes 'Show total verse count' and 'Show chapter detail'. You know have a list of the number of verses of every book and chapter in the bible. If all you want are the book counts, you don't have to check 'Show chapter detail'.

• Like 3

"I know that this does not belong in podcasts, but I do not know where to post"

Jonna, I am renaming and moving this post.