migrated to new imac, can't use many modules or workspaces

Chuck Schneider

I just completed the migration from one mac to another.

When I started accordance, it said "validating accordance".

Then it said that the location of the file ".fdr54j38a" has changed (or it has been deleted) since Accordance accessed this file the last time.

As my last workspace tried to load, it started asking me for the location of NICOT text, Comprehensive Crossreferences text, etc.

When I can't locate them, it just fails to open the workspace.

When I delete them from my library and try to get them back from Easy Install, it says, for example, "The name "NICOT" cannot be used, since it is used by an existing file with a different type.

The migration was done using the migration assistant, so I thought everything should be OK. Several apps asked me to activate or authenticate, but Accordance somehow got seriously messed up.

27-inch iMac, Late 2013

OS X 10.9.2

3.5 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

Migration Assistant ver. 5 (610)

Edited by Chuck Schneider

Migration does not work well for Accordance! The first thing you can try is to reset the permissions:

You need to find the folder named Accordance in Library/Application Support. (It may be in the hard drive Library or the user Library, and to see the latter on Lion/ML you can press option as you open the Go menu.)

Get info on the Accordance folder from the File menu, unlock the permissions at the bottom, set it to give your user read/write permission, and then click the gear menu to apply those permissions to all enclosed contents.

This is a common problem after migrating or restoring from backup, especially on Lion+.

If this does not help, contact tech support for a screenshare session.

Thank you! That brought me most of the way. There was still a problem with various modules that were in my library but weren't found when I opened my workspaces.

I had to go through a cycle of:
1 Open Workspace,

2 Module not found,

3 Open Library,

4 Remove Module,

5 Easy Install

Repeat 1 - 5 as necessary for each module that can't be found (about 10-12 of them so far).

In any case, I'm back at it!

You can also try opening the module from the Library and navigating to its location in the Where is...dialog.

If you mean by "Where is ..." the dialog box that pops up, this is what I meant by the "Module not found", it supplied me with a dialog box to find the missing module, but it was nowhere to be found. I also tried this dialog box directly from the Library (by 2-clicking the item), with the same results.

The only thing I could think of that worked was the cycle of attempt, remove, install.

I was mainly worried that the migration failed in some random way, since my most important app (Accordance!) wasn't working right afterwards. Starcraft II was also not working for the same reason, by the way. I tried the same fix for Starcraft II and you saved me a lot of trouble there. ;) Thanks for that.

• 5 months later...

I ran into this today. I've gotten it sorted out, thanks to this thread, but I keep hoping that Accordance can fix this eventually. Between 1/3 to 1/2 of my texts did not copy over to the new machine. All of the parallels were missing. Other categories fared well. Only Greek Keys and Hebrew Keys were missing in their respective categories. The NIGTC volume on Matthew (the only one in that series I own) went missing as well. English Tools and General Tools were all o.k if I remember correctly.

If it helps sort out what was going on some of the texts that were missing were: CEB, JPSS, NIV G/K, NIV 11, NIV11 G/K, Mounce, Genève, Segonde, LXX-R, GNT-TRS, NA27-SBS, and several of my Hebrew texts.

I've reinstalled all but one of the texts via easy install. The missing text is the pre-2011 NIV-G/K, which I'm guessing on the servers anymore. (although the NIV is still there, I see. Maybe the issue is I got it with a CD of NIDNT I purchased from a third party seller years ago?) In any event, I'll copy it over from my older machine when it's done supervising copying my time machine backups from the old Time Capsule to the new one.

The other frustrating thing about having to slog through this issue upon migration is that it makes a mess of my library organization. That's also been corrected, but it is time consuming.

NIV-G/K is on the servers, but you must register your NIDNTT CD to us in order to download it. Easiest way now is to send a pic of the CD itself.

Thanks, Helen. I thought I had registered it with you folks ages ago, but maybe not. I hope I still have the CD. I cleared out a lot of obsolete CDs not too long ago. I'll do some looking and be in touch.

Lorinda: no need, I have registered it to you now as I know you would never try to cheat or pirate.

Hi Helen,

I didn't know this was an issue - I was planning on upgrading my iMac towards the end of next year - and in past I have always used migration assistant. What am I supposed to do about Accordance if it doesn't work with it? I don't think I am sufficiently 'techie' or an expert in where and how accordance stores things to do this myself? Am I worrying unnecessarily?

Thanks

We actually recommend doing a fresh install of Accordance on a new system, and letting Easy Install download the latest versions of your modules. You saved work in Documents/Accordance Files can easily be copied over. It's not hard to copy your Settings, we'll send instructions if needed. The problem is usually the Accordance folder with the modules, and the weird permissions that get attached to it.

Thanks Helen

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I have had this same problem of locating modules and discovered that my Accordance modules are located in two places, my user directory and the main hard drive

directory. In other words, I have two Accordance Application Support files:

Hard Drive/Library/Application Support/Accordance

and

Hard Drive/Users/Brian/Library/Application Support/Accordance

Should I allow this to persist or should I consolidate all of the files in one location? Would I have conflicting preference files as well? I have had crashes in the past and wonder if this should be a contributing factor. I am the only user of the computer.

Brian

Brian: This is definitely a problem. Accordance doesn't know which one to look at. The newer Mac systems do better, in my opinion, with everything in the user/Library/Application Support. It won't affect your Preferences, there is just one set that is in use. Probably one of the Accordance folders is current and complete, and the other is not, but if you want to be sure you can copy the contents carefully rather than replacing or deleting one folder.

Tech support can help you if needed.