Instant Detail window error

marti

Hi,

I have been doing some work in 1 Samuel and noticed that there is an error in the instant details window in 1 Samuel 10:16. The word המלוכה is rendered 'Kingdom', when it should be 'kingship'. If you triple click the BDB listing is correct. I think i am right with this??

Thanks,

-marti-

What version of the BHS-W4 are you using? (check the Accordance menu > About The Text...) The current version is 4.4.1 and in my copy, it is glossed correctly as "kingdom" and triple-clicking it goes to the correct lemma in HALOT (I don't have BDB on this particular machine).

I checked my version and it is also 4.4.1

Perhaps the problem is with BDB...where does the information for the Instant Details window come from??

-marti-

The gloss shown in the Instant Details comes from our own gloss list which adds an English meaning to each lemma. There is no error here. True, BDB gives kingship as the main meaning of המלוכה , but HALOT gives kingdom. A search of the NAS95S for המלוכה gives these results:

king = 1

kingdom = 15

reign = 1

royal = 6

royalty = 1

It is good to remember that the gloss is not the translation of the word in situ, just a basic meaning to attempt to cover all uses of the word.

• 4 years later...

The gloss shown in the Instant Details comes from our own gloss list which adds an English meaning to each lemma...

Is there any way to change this so that the Instant Details box shows just BDB or just HALOT, instead of your gloss?

Make sure that BDB or HALOT (Whichever you prefer) is the first module listed in the Hebrew Tools section. Then hold down the command key while hovering over a word.

Lorinda

Thanks for your response. I appreciate the help. I'm somewhat new, so I'm sorry that I'm slow to understand.

I tried what you wrote, but it didn't change the definition. For instance, I'm working on the first word in Deut 6:7 in BHS-W4, wshanantam. When I hover over it I get "to teach diligently." Obviously that's not the translation, and I'd like to see BDB instead. Even when I hold down the command key, I get the same definition. By "command key," you mean the Apple key, correct?

Thanks again for taking the time.

I'm always happy to help. Yes, the command key is also called the Apple key, although newer Macs don't have an Apple symbol on that key any more.

Just to double check, is BDB listed as the first tool in the Hebrew Tools list? On the Resource Palette, this is the Blue "book" with an aleph on it. If it's not the first one, you need to open the Library Window (if it's not open already), and move it there. (Let me know if you need more details on how to do that)

Which version of Accordance are you using? your mini-profile next to your post says 8.x The command key feature I mentioned was introduced in 8.3, I believe.

I think Dr. J did a podcast on this feature, which might be helpful, but I wasn't able to find it.

Lorinda

What version of the BHS-W4 are you using? (check the Accordance menu > About The Text...) The current version is 4.4.1 and in my copy, it is glossed correctly as "kingdom" and triple-clicking it goes to the correct lemma in HALOT (I don't have BDB on this particular machine).

I just checked my BHS-W4, and it is in version 4.1. Easy install and "check for updates" does not indicate any updates. So how do I get the latest text?

I just checked my BHS-W4, and it is in version 4.1. Easy install and "check for updates" does not indicate any updates. So how do I get the latest text?

Do you have 4.1 or 4.10? I have 4.10. When talking version numbers, .10 is a higher number than .1. (Think of Mac OS Tiger which reached 10.4.11, AFTER it was 10.4.6, for example). It gets confusing because version numbers look like decimal numbers, but they are not. (When I first read your post and checked my BHS-W4, I thought, Oh my, I have the same problem. It was only as I was composing this post that the difference hit me).

Lorinda

Do you have 4.1 or 4.10? I have 4.10. When talking version numbers, .10 is a higher number than .1. (Think of Mac OS Tiger which reached 10.4.11, AFTER it was 10.4.6, for example). It gets confusing because version numbers look like decimal numbers, but they are not. (When I first read your post and checked my BHS-W4, I thought, Oh my, I have the same problem. It was only as I was composing this post that the difference hit me).

Lorinda

Thanks Lorinda, indeed it is 4.10. So how come the current version is supposedly 4.4.1?

Thanks Lorinda, indeed it is 4.10. So how come the current version is supposedly 4.4.1?

Look at the date of those posts. That was the current version as of 2006. 4.10 dates to 2008.

Again thanks, I guess it's time to go home and get some rest!

...is BDB listed as the first tool in the Hebrew Tools list?

Yes.

Which version of Accordance are you using? your mini-profile next to your post says 8.x

I have version 7.4.1. Can I upgrade for free?

The upgrade from version 7 (or version 8, for that matter) to version 9 is a paid upgrade ($59 before any eligible discounts). Check out this webpage.

Archived