Sharing Teaching Ideas

Michael T

It seems that the Accordance Exchange (http://www.accordancefiles1.com/exchange/) is wildly underused - the most recent post was Aug 2010! I would be very interested to hear about any concrete teaching ideas that Accordance has facilitated, particularly with the graphic search results. That is, actual examples of how the software has been used to facilitate learning. It would be great if others were willing to share Accordance's power when it comes to teaching ideas, and in particular posting screenshots so the rest of us can re-create the learning experience for students.

One example that I was recently enthralled by was David Lang's Accordance Blog post on 'Any Questions?', wherein it was visually very clear where the majority of questions occurred (see http://www.accordancebible.com/Any-Questions). And indeed, one can search for all sorts of punctuation. Be careful however if you are comparing English translations, as some will be searching apocrypha, and include there hits in the results.

Another example which I have used was one in the old Accordance Manual regarding divine names in Gen 1-3, a helpful way to introduce students to JEPD.

Names of God in Gen 1-3.pdf

Another which I am not entirely sure of the significance is the distribution of the names 'Ιησους' and 'Χριστος' in Luke-Acts.

Lk-Ac Names.tiff

There are endless possibilities here, any other ideas?

• 2 years later...

I have enjoyed using Accordance to teach my Sunday School class, aged 8 to 11. Accordance allows me to project the Bible verses, and display maps. We also use Accordance for display of the Creeds.

Since we are a small class, we have been using a 3-M projector which works off batteries. One downside, maps do NOT project well with that projector. (This is the fault of the projector, NOT Accordance). We just purchased a newer projector (Canon 1776W) , and Accordance maps can now be shown in "all their glory".

The maps have helped show such things as: when Jonah fled to Tarshish -- not only did Jonah fail to obey God's command: Jonah went to the opposite direction

Hi, Michael!

Thanks for initiating this thread. I have taught with Accordance, but I too am interested in how others use it.

I teach a course a semester for Regent University, School of Divinity as an adjunct online instructor. For the first time, this semester I am requiring students to purchase Bible software fr my Introduction to the New Testament course. Each of the fifteen weeks, students will be required to complete and submit one "exegetical element." They then post their results on the discussion board and respond to others' posts. [They can't see any other student's post until they post their own.] Ten of these exegetical elements must be completed using Bible software. [The other five include two introductory posts and three movie critiques.]

I have not completed all of my EEs, but here is one:

Search for "feast" and "banquet" in the ESV New Testament. Open a hits graph and observe the peak in the Gospel of Luke. Click on it. [Accordance moves to Luke 14.] Read the passage, then look for a parallel, by amplifying Luke 14:14 to the Gospels Parallel database. [Pericope 216/279 the Great Supper appears.] Compare and contrast these two parables, noting their similarities and differences by highlighting similarities in one color, differences in another. Based on your observations, answer the following questions:

1. Are these two different versions of the same parallel—or different parallels entirely? How did you come to that conclusion?

2. What is the main point and the purpose of each parable/version? [Hint: they are different!]

3. Read the introduction to each book in Eerdmans Bible dictionary, then answer this question: How does each parable/version meet the needs of the author's original audience?

4. Now, reconsider your initial answer to question #1. Do you feel you need to modify it? Why or why not?

Hope this helps, Michael—and looking forward to reading contributions from others!

Hey Dr J,

did you notice that Michael started this thread in 2011. It's been dormant a long time till Jonna reactivated it.

Thanks for the EE - good exercise!

(BTW - it's Luke 14:15 you want to amplify, not 14:14)

Edited by Ken Simpson

Thanks for the correction, Ken. It is indeed v. 15.

That's what I get fro trying to respond to forums before finishing my first cup of coffee. (sigh)

• 4 weeks later...

Within the context of preparing a lesson in 1 Peter for this Wednesday:

1. Being able to customize the maps for the specific lesson is especially helpful for context. Previously I had the Assyrian Empire bearing down upon Israel. This Wednesday, I'm teaching on 1 Peter, so I set up the five provinces of Asia Minor where Peter addressed his letter. I wasn't able to find any pre-set full-color maps specifically for 1 Peter, so doing it myself was the best option.

2. I'm using analysis pie charts are great for explaining the various uses of Greek words to a non-seminary audience. Instead of just blurting out some alternate definitions, I can put the various meanings out there and make sure it gets observed rather than just told to them. I'm also using the hits graph to explain how often every form of "suffer" appears in an English translation. There's a huge spike in the graph at 1 Peter when set to "hits per 1000 words."