BasiliskII in Ubuntu

Jon Falkenstein

I haven't tried yet, but soon I will have an Ubuntu (linux) computer, and BasiliskII is available for Ubuntu (that much I know). Is there any experience with successfully running accordance in Ubuntu's Basilisk?

I haven't tried yet, but soon I will have an Ubuntu (linux) computer, and BasiliskII is available for Ubuntu (that much I know). Is there any experience with successfully running accordance in Ubuntu's Basilisk?

That would be a very interesting option! I've messed about with Ubuntu some (I have a Windows box that dual boots XP or Ubuntu), but haven't used it much primarily because I could find no decent Bible software for it. If you (or anyone else) figures out an Accordance option, I'd be very interested to hear about it.

Ok, so it's official.

I have gotten Accordance to run in Ubuntu. It's only the trial version... but that shouldn't matter.

The only thing about it is that I haven''t been able to figure out how to get a figure out how to get the system 7 install files onto disk image within ubuntu that the network access boot disk can read (I used the network access disk, available freely from apple, to boot up the comp, and then installed system 7 from there). I had to create a disk image using OS X's disk utility a simple Mac OS format and then put the install files, including that of the accorance install on it).

Here's a picture to prove it:

post-12549-1209814028_thumb.png

• 4 weeks later...

I installed Basilisk2 under Wine. Where did you get the network access disk?

• 1 month later...

Actually, you don't need to use Wine. BasiliskII is available as a native Ubuntu app.

You can find it in your synaptic package manager. However, you can also use your terminal to install it:

sudo apt-get install BasiliskII

That should work to install it. To launch it, you will need to run the terminal command:

BasiliskII

Alternatively, you can create a launcher icon for this command by simply right-clicking on the desktop and creating a launcher.

I've tinkered extensively with this. You'll need the typical gambit of Basilisk things to install the OS (Rom, operating system, etc). I recommend a 4-5 gig disk image, if you can. I don't know what accordance stuff you have, but some things, like the Bible Art, take up a ton of space.

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone still experimenting with running Accordance in emulation under Ubuntu? If so, and you've found it to be usable, some step-by-step instructions on setting this up and running it would be much appreciated.

• 2 years later...

I am excited to read that you are running (or were running) Accordance in basilisk under ubuntu. I am using ubuntu 10.10 and are interested in doing the same. I have tried finding out how to install basilisk. It does not som to be in the ubuntu repository anymore. The apt-get command does not work either. Do you know where to find information on how to install basilisk on ubuntu?

Thanks.

Actually, you don't need to use Wine. BasiliskII is available as a native Ubuntu app.

You can find it in your synaptic package manager. However, you can also use your terminal to install it:

sudo apt-get install BasiliskII

That should work to install it. To launch it, you will need to run the terminal command:

BasiliskII

Alternatively, you can create a launcher icon for this command by simply right-clicking on the desktop and creating a launcher.

I've tinkered extensively with this. You'll need the typical gambit of Basilisk things to install the OS (Rom, operating system, etc). I recommend a 4-5 gig disk image, if you can. I don't know what accordance stuff you have, but some things, like the Bible Art, take up a ton of space.

Edited by tomklaus

We've been chatting about this on Twitter, but I think this is probably a more appropriate medium.

I've got a MacBook Pro that's running Ubuntu under VirtualBox. Basilisk II is no longer in the Ubuntu repositories (at least for the latest versions of Ubuntu) but there are pre-compiled binaries that you can get elsewhere.

I used a combination of pages to get things running:

* http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/basiliskii_linux_setup lists the official way to setup basilisk II

* http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6580 has links to downloads so you don't have to compile from source (and also links to network drivers)

* http://www.redundantrobot.com/sheepshaver-tutorial/ is a more in-depth tutorial and contains links to Mac OS ROMs.

Note: A Mac ROM is a snapsot of some of the internal software on a mac and you are only legally suppose to use it if you own that version of a mac.

I was able to run Basilisk II, create a new Mac harddrive and start the emulator but it did not recognize the disk. Here is what I understand about the problem:

Since we don't have the physical hardware or are running on different hardware (like Linux or Windows) you need an emulator. There are two that I know of, SheepSaver and Basalisk II. It seems like Basalisk II is better suited for Mac OS 7.

You need a ROM image of a particular model of macintosh.

You need to create a file that will represent the mac's harddrive (which you can do through Basalisk II)

That will get the emulator to start but not actually run anything. You need some kind of startup disk since the harddrive file you created is initially blank or uninitialized.

I don't have time right now (finals, work, impending marriage) but there are links to a startup disk. Apple also provides (for free) OS 7.5 install disks.

As far as I understand, you'd have to un-compress all of those disks, load them up, install OS 7.5 into the emulator, then install Accordance.

There is some trickiness with getting sound, networking, and audio to work that I haven't looked into yet.

I hope this is clear...

Bob

I am excited to read that you are running (or were running) Accordance in basilisk under ubuntu. I am using ubuntu 10.10 and are interested in doing the same. I have tried finding out how to install basilisk. It does not som to be in the ubuntu repository anymore. The apt-get command does not work either. Do you know where to find information on how to install basilisk on ubuntu?

Thanks.

Thanks, Bob,, for your time and effort. I will try to use the procedure you outline. My milage with ubuntu is not that long... I will post my results.

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

For those who are interested, I have run Linux (Debian) exclusively for about 10 years now, so I can probably help answer questions for those interested in getting Basilisk II and Accordance up and running.

Basilisk II is in the Debian repositories, but I have also been able to build it from source, taken from its CVS repository. It is not at all difficult to build - especially if you are willing to do without things like sound/network access.

I also created and installed Mac OS 7 using only linux tools. It is not necessary to use either Windows or Mac OS X to create disk images. I did it a while ago, but I'm sure I could repeat the process and add detailed instructions for everything here on this forum - or somewhere else that might be appropriate.

I'm guessing most others are using Ubuntu, but since this is based on Debian, there will be a fair degree of similarity.

I'm also interesting in hearing how others fair running under Linux, because I will never return to Windows, and given the way Apple is heading, I doubt I'll ever get into OS X either.

Maybe one day there will be a real choice in native Bible software for Linux, but until then, Kudos to accordance for working so hard to support such and old legacy emulation system!

It must surely be getting hard to maintain though! Perhaps one day we will see native versions of Accordance ported to a nice modern toolkit like QT ! I can always wish anyway :).

David

• Like 1

• 1 year later...