Searching Parallels

Joel Arnold

I want to do a search (just one example) that gives me all the NT verses that quote the OT and that include the word "pneuma." So how do I do a search that is drawn only from verses listed in a parallel?

Sorry, the parallels are separate databases. You can search them only by title, reference, and pericope number. You cannot use them as the basis of a word search.

This is an interesting question, all the more so because it is very reasonable, but I do not recall it ever being requested in 15 years! I think that a lot of programming would be required to enable that kind of search.

Very helpful. I do think this would be a helpful feature. I have found myself wanting to do this type of search fairly often. Unfortunately usefulness doesn't always mean that it will be easy to implement!

Thank you.

Arnold,

I've been puzzling over a way to accomplish this, and this is the closest thing I can think of. The GNT-T italicizes OT quotations, so you could search for pneuma, and then scroll through the results looking for the italicized verses. Simply option-click each relevant hit to give it a bookmark, then you can choose Add Marked Verses to New Reference List from the Selection menu. I did a very cursory scan and got the following references: Matt 12:18; Mark 12:36; Luke 1:15; 4:18; 23:46; Acts 2:17

I thought about the same method David described above, but the best workaround I finally came up with is the following:

1. Google for "Old Testament quotations in the New Testament" and you will find different sites that offer lists of verses. The one that caught my attention was this one.

2. You may have to do a bit of work, but it only took me a couple of minutes or less to select all the NT verses from one of the columns, convert the one-column table into text (separating each verse with a semicolon) and replace all the instances of semicolon-number-space-letter with semicolon-number-letter (i.e., ;2 Pet 3:8 --> ;2Pet 3:8).

3. Paste the verses in the Search window with GNT-T as your search window (set the search to Verses) and click Return.

4. Select all the verse results and create a new Reference List (I called it OT Quotes in NT).

5. Run a search for pneuma <AND> [CONTENTS OT Quotes in NT] .

6. I got 21 hits: Matt. 12:18; Mark 12:36; Luke 1:17; Luke 3:22; Luke 4:18; Luke 23:46; Acts 2:17; Acts 2:18; Acts 4:25; Rom. 11:8; 1Cor. 6:17; 1Cor. 15:45; 2Cor. 3:18; 2Cor. 4:13; Eph. 5:18; Eph. 6:17; Phil. 1:19; 2Th. 2:8; Heb. 1:7; Heb. 3:7; 1Pet. 4:14.

It would have been easier had I known all the NT references included in the Parallel module, but since I didn't, that's the best I could do.

Hope this helps.

Ruben,

Great idea. I kept trying to figure out a way to extract the verses from the OT in NT parallel to build a custom range, but didn't think to look outside Accordance for such a list. Doh.

By the way, you should no longer need to remove the space between book number and name in ;2 Pet 3:8. Accordance now accepts the space, but the semicolon has to be there to distinguish the number in the book name from the preceding reference.

Old habits die hard, don't they? ;)

By the way, you should no longer need to remove the space between book number and name in ;2 Pet 3:8. Accordance now accepts the space, but the semicolon has to be there to distinguish the number in the book name from the preceding reference.

Old habits die hard, don't they? ;)

Well, Accordance complained when I tried to run the search with the refs as is, so I decided to do a Replace All before pasting and searching.

1. Google for "Old Testament quotations in the New Testament" and you will find different sites that offer lists of verses... create a new Reference List (I called it OT Quotes in NT).

Arnold, I think Rubén's suggestion offers one key point of clarity. You aren't actually wanting to interact with the Parallels tool, per se. You are only wanting to make use of the verse list that the tool also uses for its database. The nature of such a list is highly subjective so the best practice would be to go with a list that you are clear where it has come from, who created it. The Accordance OT in NT database says it was edited by David Lang, but I don't find Parallels ReadMe to investigate further what scholars' lists these use.

So, you'd do just as well by using whatever list you find, as Rubén suggested. I'd put it into a Search range for more permanent use. Once you've put your own verse list together as a new Search range, you have infinitely more options in terms of investigations now that you're operating solely inside the very powerful Search Text Window.

I offer this clarification mostly to illuminate my opinion that adding a feature to interact with the parallels database might be overkill if its only purpose is to pull a list of verses.

Ruben,

Hmm, what was the nature of the complaint? Perhaps with the spaces the list of verses was too long, and removing the spaces made it short enough to be accepted?

Ruben,

Hmm, what was the nature of the complaint? Perhaps with the spaces the list of verses was too long, and removing the spaces made it short enough to be accepted?

I got this error message: The book "Cor" cannot be found.post-9-126644634144_thumb.png That's when I decided to remove the spaces between numbers and book names, and it worked just fine.

Odd. It is accepting the space before the book name up to a certain point, but getting confused after a certain number of references.

...The GNT-T italicizes OT quotations...

I'd recommend using the GNT-T too. I consider its cross-reference system the best available. Placing it in a parallel pane with the GNT-T will allow you to see the source of the quote immediately.

I thought of using the [sTYLE ?] command in combination with a word search, but forgot it was limited to highlight styles. Hmmm..., wonder how hard it would be for our programmers to add text styles [italics, superscript, etc.] to it? The former would allow us to search for just the italicized text in the GNT-T that contained a word. The latter would allow us to search for only those words in a study Bible that have a note (or cross-reference).

Would this feature be useful enough to be worth the time our programmers would spend on it? What do you think?

Archived