ETA

David Knoll

Hi,

Does anyone know when the HMT-W4 Syntax module is to be completed?

many thanks,

David

I've stopped giving date predictions. We have only a few large texts left (Isaiah, Chronicles), but the remaining team has been terribly busy.

• Like 1

I've stopped giving date predictions. We have only a few large texts left (Isaiah, Chronicles), but the remaining team has been terribly busy.

Many thanks. As a user I eagerly await the complete module.

While it is not satisfying to be the waiter, it is satisfying that the module is useful enough that someone is waiting for its completion. :)

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Same here!

I am preaching through Isaiah the next five weeks (following the Revised Common Lectionary) and will be missing the syntax for this portion. Unless it somehow becomes available in time.... :)

But I understand that must be a massive undertaking.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I just saw that the syntax update contains only 1 Kings. When do you think the historical books will be complete? Should we expect another update soon?

Thanks,

David

Edited by David Knoll

The latest update was motivated by a few corrections to the morphological tagging in the Westminster text. I decided to include a number of small corrections as well as 1 Kings, which had recently been completed. 2 Kings and 1-2 Chronicles will likely be out by the end of January. Jeremiah and Isaiah (and the remaining 3 minor prophets) will come towards the end of the spring.

The original research project was to complete the tagging in 5 years. When we complete it in the spring, it will 5.5 years, which I take as a significant success.

• Like 2

Considering the fact that you will have reviewed every single verse of the Hebrew Bible, that is practically a miracle.

Well, I cannot claim any miracles associated with the project, but I know that a few folks involved consider it a blessing and I consider it a critical research tool. I will clarify, though, that by next spring, when the entire Hebrew Bible is released, we will also have all epigraphic texts and DSS tagged.

• Like 3

Well, I cannot claim any miracles associated with the project, but I know that a few folks involved consider it a blessing and I consider it a critical research tool. I will clarify, though, that by next spring, when the entire Hebrew Bible is released, we will also have all epigraphic texts and DSS tagged.

This is most exciting!

Awesome! So on to the Old Greek next? :)

That would be very useful!

• 8 months later...

Spring has come and gone, and I need 2 Kings. Any news?

I was waiting to release it all as part of the final update for the first full complete module. But Isaiah and Jeremiah are going more slowly than we hoped. In light of that, I will inquire about releasing an update this week. It will include Kings and Chronicles.

• Like 3

While it is not satisfying to be the waiter, it is satisfying that the module is useful enough that someone is waiting for its completion. :)

Yes, thank you, Prof. Holmstedt--I think I can probably only begin to appreciate what a monumental effort is involved in putting this module together. Please know that this user/reader/writer/preacher uses it as often as possible! (Preaching through some Psalms this summer, for example, with access to the syntax being most appreciated.)

• Like 1

FYI -- updated syntax submitted. Hopefully you will see an updated module fairly soon. In the meantime, we're working on the remaining books (Isaiah, Jeremiah, Hosea, Zechariah).

• Like 5

Woohoo! Thanks Robert (and team). Love your work!!!

• Like 1

Thank you once again. Do you intend to mark the prose sections in Jeremiah and Isaiah differently so that we can run a prose search? I mean to make it possible for us to choose a range like: prose or poetry.

FYI -- updated syntax submitted. Hopefully you will see an updated module fairly soon. In the meantime, we're working on the remaining books (Isaiah, Jeremiah, Hosea, Zechariah).

!על הכיפאק

• Like 1