וְ + imperfect clause search

Michel Gilbert

No, thank you!

Glad the pentateuch ones seem correct!

I am glad to hear (or rather read) this!

Just as a note - Prof Holmstedt’s paper is now posted on the Exchange.

I wanted to ask when you expect the DSS syntax to be complete, and regarding the following paragraph:

"Second, the additional semantic and pragmatic layers would add a disproportionate number of years to the project. Whereas we are confident that we will finish all our ancient Hebrew texts in the next 2-3 years, it would likely take a decade (or more) to produce a multi-layered database."

If that is a project you intend to undertake in the future.

Many thanks for your work. Your database helped me answer many stylistic and syntactical questions over the last two years.

Edited by David Knoll

Well, the DSS are well along, but there are additional complexities in the database due to the fact that clauses can break across lines and Accordance currently uses the "line" like a biblical "verse". Indeed, this is an even more problematic issue in the inscriptions syntax, since words can break across lines. Short answer-- they are *all* preliminarily tagged. Long answer--we have more proofing and work to do before releasing them for public use.

As for the semantic and pragmatic layers, I have no definite plans to do this. The syntax layer will take me long enough to proof to the point where I think it's 99% accurate (my goal). Moreover, whereas our syntax tagging itself is obviously interpretative, this would be greatly more the case for semantics and pragmatics. The result would probably be something quite a bit too "Cook" (on semantics) and "Holmstedt" (on pragmatics) for most people to choke down. ;)

• Like 1

I tried to describe the basic ideas in my Accordance presentation at SBL in 2010, and provided some good reading in the footnotes for the adventurous. I thought I agve it to the Accordance folks to post, but I only see my older presentation from 2009. So I have attached it here for anyone interested to read. I only include the introduction and not the subsequent 70 pages of single-spaced tagging notes. Those are the germ of a reference grammar that I am co-writing.

I have posted it on our Documentation page as well, though it's way too technical for me.