"Search For: lemma, root, inflected" not opening a new tab, deleting previous search

Erik Alair

I recently upgraded to Accordance 10 and was performing a right click "search for" command on a word in the GNT-T. When I searched for the lemma of the word I was given the results in a new tab. Wonderful. I then wanted to search for the root of the same word so I right clicked on one of the hits and searched for the root and the results showed up in a new tab. Again, great.

I then wanted to search the GNT-T for the inflected form of one of those hits and so performed the same right click search for command but for the inflected form. However, my results did not show up in a new tab, but showed up in my previous tab and thus deleted the results of my first search for the lemma of the original word!

Is this a bug or a preference setting issue that I cannot have more than 3 tabs when performing these searches?? This is a bit frustrating because I want to be able to have all my results on one workspace in different tabs to check over again.

Hi, Erik, and congratulations on your upgrade.

When you amplify to a new tab, the tab is set to Recycle its contents, which means it will be reused for any further amplification. This is presumably what happened to you. To stop this, just click on the blue Recycle icon to turn it off, or type Command-K to toggle it. You set the recycling on each tab, to give you control for which results you want to keep, versus which results you want to reuse. You could even turn on recycling in any tab that didn't open with it, just look for the Recycle icon.

And no, there isn't any 3 tab limit! Open as many as you'd like.

Thanks Joel, that was my problem. I am now able to keep searching without losing any of my previous searches.

Is there any way to make the recycle icon off all the time, as in a default setting for new tabs/searches? Or do I have to manually turn it off with each new search?

Also, as a follow up question: is there any way to have multiple texts show up automatically when I do these kind of searches (e.g., have the ESVS come up alongside the GNT-T when I amplify a greek word)? I know I can add the text alongside it by adding a parallel text manually, but it would be more convenient just to have the english text always come up alongside the greek when I do these word studies.

Once you have your workspace the way you like it, you may save it, much as you would in other programs.

What Michael said is true - save your workspace, especially as a favorite. There's a lot of powerful stuff you can do with them, like setting up dictionaries, grammars, and commentaries, and searching them all just as you like it. But, this is a bit beyond what you are looking for :)

Another thing to keep in mind, when you amplify from a tab, if its the main search tab, it will maintain any open panes. So, if I'm working in a GNT28-T tab with ESVS and VULG-T open in parallel, if I amplify from a GNT28-T word, it will maintain both ESVS and VULG-T in the new tab.

I don't know of any way to force the recycle off for new tabs, but there may be one I don't know about!

Thanks Michael and Joel, I think I understand how the recycle feature works now. Thanks for your help and the suggestions about saving workspaces as well. Much appreciated!