I kingdoms 2 kingdoms and so forth

Heidi

I'm looking to see if I can find any materials on 1-, 2-, 3-, 4-Kingdoms (Kgdms) mentioned in the Anchor Bible Commentaries.

I read elsewhere on Forums that these refer to Samuel? Is it named something else in most other works. I have an electronic LXX and LXX-B.

- Heidi

1 & 2 Kingdoms correspond to 1 & 2 Samuel. 3 & 4 Kingdoms correspond to 1 & 2 Kings.

1 + 2 Paralipomenon = 1 + 2 Chronicles

Esdras = Ezra (Nehemias = Nehemiah, which is sometimes referred to as 2 Esdras, and the books in our Apocrypha called 1 + 2 Esdras in that case get renamed to 3 Esdras and 4 Esdras (Which is sometimes broken up into 4,5,6 Esdras to differentiate the original book from it's later Christian additions.))

Edited by Dan Francis

Josue (Joshua)

Tobias (Tobit)

Ecclesiasticus (Sirach)

Isaias (Isaiah)

Jeremias (Jeremiah)

Ezechiel (Ezekiel)

Osee (Hoesa)

Abdias (Obadiah)

Jonas (Jonah)

Micheas (Micah)

Habacuc (Habakkuk)

Sophonias (Zephaniah)

Aggeus (Haggai)

Zacharias (Zechariah)

Malachias (Malachi)

Are the rest of what we might think of as odd ball names. These are latinized names that were widely used by English speaking Catholics before the mid 1960's when they adopted the more standard spellings we are more used too. Sometimes these latinized versions were even preserved into the KJV new testament though.

-Dan

Edited by Dan Francis

I've again a reference to 1- and 2-Esdras in the Anchor Bible Commentary series and cannot find it in Accordance's LXX1 or LXX2.

Dan, could you clear up a little for me how Esdras is turning into Nehemiah? (I seem to have only Nehemiah, not 1Neh and 2Neh, etc.

I think I got it. I have 1 Esd in the Accordance LXX1 but no 2 Esd; 2 Esd would be Nehemiah.

But then again, no, I don't have it yet. I have an Anchor Bible Commentary reference to 2Esd 19:27. But the Nehemiah I have only goes to 13. Any help is much appreciated.

And thank you Michael and Dan, much.

Edited by Heidi

As I mentioned in the message to you....

1 Esdras
Esdras is the Greek form of the Hebrew personal name Ezra. 1 Esdras as the name of the book derives from the Greek Bible (the Septuagint), where it is called Esdras A (alpha), while the combined book of Ezra and Nehemiah is called Esdras B (beta). In the Latin Bible (the Vulgate), 1 Esdras is called 3 Ezra.
________
So 2Esd 19:27 (LXX) is Nehemiah 9:27
-Dan
Edited by Dan Francis

HI Dan,

that doesn't make sense to a noob like me. How does the versification change? Why is 19.27, 9,27? Where did the other 10 chapters go?

Sorry, I clearly don't know enough about the LXX...

Esdras B (LXX) (beta)

Chapters 1-10 are Ezra 1-10, Esdras B 11=Nehemiah 1

Edited by Dan Francis

Ahh got it, thank Dan. I hope this helps Heidi!

Grateful for the clarity!

Of note, I've come across an anomaly where Bible verses that we have numbered as standard today, e.g. Hosea 2:1, are part of a different chapter in LXX study-world, (e.g., Hosea's 2:1 in LXX Brenton Translation refers to Hosea 2:3 in the tagged LXX). i like parallel texts; however they do require a lot of space!

- Heidi O / Mike H

Quite often there is a difference between Hebrew numbering and LXX numbering. For example Psalm 9-10 are one psalm in LXX and a latter one in the 140s i think is split into two. Malachi in the henew has a longer chapter 3 and no chapter 4. Generally we follow the Hebrew number in the english Bible but not always. Catholics traditionally always followed the LXX numbering for the Psalms but now a days that is almost never the case except I noticed many catholic prayer books still use the LXX numbering. As you can see the difference below.

-dan

Hos. 1:9 (NRSVS) Then the LORD said, “Name him Lo-ammi, for you are not my people and I am not your God.”

Hos. 1:10 (NRSVS) ¶ Yet the number of the people of Israel shall be like the sand of the sea, which can be neither measured nor numbered; and in the place where it was said to them, “You are not my people,” it shall be said to them, “Children of the living God.”

Hos. 1:11 (NRSVS) The people of Judah and the people of Israel shall be gathered together, and they shall appoint for themselves one head; and they shall take possession of the land, for great shall be the day of Jezreel.

Hos. 2:1 (NRSVS) ¶ Say to your brother, Ammi, and to your sister, Ruhamah.

Hos. 2:2 (NRSVS)

Plead with your mother, plead—

for she is not my wife,

and I am not her husband—

that she put away her whoring from her face,

and her adultery from between her breasts,

Hos. 2:3 (NRSVS) or I will strip her naked

and expose her as in the day she was born,

and make her like a wilderness,

and turn her into a parched land,

and kill her with thirst.

NRSV with Strong’s
New Revised Standard Version of the Bible with Key Numbers (NRSVS)
The Scripture quotations contained herein are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible, copyrighted, 1989 by the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America, and are used by permission. All rights reserved. Strong’s Number tagging ©2010 OakTree Software, Inc. Version 2.3

Hos. 1:9 (JPS) Then He said, “Name him Lo-ammi; for you are not My people, and I will not be your [God].”

Hos. 2:1 (JPS) ¶ The number of the people of Israel shall be like that of the sands of the sea, which cannot be measured or counted; and instead of being told, “You are Not-my-people,” they shall be called Children-of-the-living-god.

Hos. 2:2 (JPS) The people of Judah and the people of Israel shall assemble together and appoint one head over them; and they shall rise from the ground — for marvelous shall be the day of Jezreel!

Hos. 2:3 (JPS) ¶ Oh, call your brothers “My People,” And your sisters “Lovingly Accepted!”

Hos. 2:4 (JPS) ¶ Rebuke your mother, rebuke her — For she is not My wife And I am not her husband — And let her put away her harlotry from her face And her adultery from between her breasts.

JPS (1985)
Tanakh: Jewish Publication Society (JPS)
TANAKH: A New Translation of THE HOLY SCRIPTURES According to the Traditional Hebrew Text. Copyright © The Jewish Publication Society, 1985. Used by permission. Version 2.9