Greek and Hebrew resources

John Cook

With the latest iOS I'm hooked on reading daily from Accordance rather than rummaging my shelf for the paper copies! It is especially nice that it remembers the location in recent texts—especially as I'm moving around reading various versions each day.

One feature I'd love to see added (and this may apply to the non-mobile OS as well): I regularly read in the Septuagint and the New Testament in Greek, but I am unable to make one dictionary the primary resources for one and another for the other (i.e., I would like the instant details to pull up Lust for LXX and BDAG for GNT). I could, of course, switch the two resources, but that is just one more thing to adjust moving from LXX reading to GNT. I'm wondering how difficult it would be to move past language-based organization of tools to corpus-based (i.e., instead of simply a top Greek or Hebrew tool, perhaps a top LXX tool or top GNT tool).

John

This would require considerable programming and a whole new interface to allow the user to define a preferred dictionary for a corpus. Accordance does now search through the dictionaries (and reference tools) until it finds a matching entry, so if the LXX word isn't found in BDAG it should come up in LEH-2.

Thanks for the reply. It is as I thought—it would require major work, much more than the effort to amplify and choose the alternative source. Perhaps all this technology at our fingertips—literally—is just making me a bit too lazy. : )

Archived