Accordance Keyboard Shortcuts

Ben

Hi all,

How do I make a keyboard shortcut for Accordance when the .app is nested inside a folder? What this means is that I can't access the .app through the add keyboard shortcut interface in Sys Prefs.

Thanks.

Ben,

Accordance elements do not respond to custom key combinations set using System Preferences/Keyboard/Keyboard Shortcuts.

You can join with others of us that lament this fact. You can make use of 3rd party solutions. My favorite solution is using Quicksilver. You can look here to see where I blogged on accessing any application's menu items using custom key combos.

It what? That seems like a breach of UI guidelines, doesn't it? All I want to do is assign a shortcut for hiding/displaying the Resouce Palette, which should probably have a shortcut by default anyway.

It's not worth setting up a QS proxy object trigger for that.

Thanks for the (disappointing) info, Joe. Have a great Christmas.

I'm assuming you want to hide the resource palette but keep the instant details box? Otherwise, the "Hide Palettes" (⌥⌘0) would fit the bill.

I agree, but the proxy object "Current Application (Show Menu Items)" gives me muscle-memory access to any menu command of any app without any pre-prep work.

It what? That seems like a breach of UI guidelines, doesn't it? All I want to do is assign a shortcut for hiding/displaying the Resouce Palette, which should probably have a shortcut by default anyway.

Thanks for the (disappointing) info, Joe. Have a great Christmas.

While I agree that Accordance should have a shortcut for this, I don't understand your statement that its not 'worth' setting up QS. Spend a few minutes, set it up and be done with it until the fine folks at Oaktree make it happen internally. Why cut your nose off to spite your face?

Hi brothers,

I don't understand why we cannot assign shortcut keys for Accordance.

I've assigned two already: one is for Highlight Palette ; another one is for Text Palette. And I've done it through the Systems Preferences.

Can you clarify?

Kit

That's interesting, Kit. Did you move the Accordance.app package into the Applications directory?

At the moment, I can't even get QS to list the menu items using Current Application > Show Menu Items. It works for Firefox and other apps, but the second window doesn't ever arrive when I try it in Accordance.

I do agree with you Joe, that it's a quick way to access commands, although for frequently used commands, a specific, non-contorting key combo is still best, imo.

Hi Ben,

Accordance is not in my Application folder. I open a new folder to contain all other apps that are not originally from Apple.

My Folder name is called Chris' Apps and the Accordance apps is inside.

Attached is what I do for the Accordance shortcuts through System Preferences.

Kit

post-4011-1198454434_thumb.png

post-4011-1198454442_thumb.png

Thanks, Kit. That works fine.

My problem was that I didn't see the Other... at the bottom of the SPrefs app chooser - I'm stoopid. It works great for me.

Is this not what you expected, Joe?

Well, you guys have made me explore a little more and I can verify that setting custom key combinations using System Preferences/Keyboard does work but only if you assign Command ⌘ and Shift ⇧ modifiers without using the Control ⌃ or Option ⌥ modifiers. Please do try this out on your machine to verify this for us. I don't know if this is a new capability with recent Accordance or OS version because I've never observed this behavior before. However, I always use either Control ⌃ or Option ⌥ in my custom key combination schemes, so it is possible that I along with many others have simply never noticed this idiosyncrasy.

It still may be helpful to some in adding their own Command ⌘ and Shift ⇧ combination to an odd command here and there, so it's good we've made note of it.

It's not useful to me since it doesn't fit my normal schemes and since I already have a more robust method in place.

(N.B. I experience other odd differences with Accordance receiving some but not all key modifiers as system level Apple events passed to it. For example, in the Accordance script library I've built, I can pass Accordance a ⌃⌘v or w to change the search window to verses or words search, but I can not pass it a ⌃1, 2, or 3 to change the text module to the first, second, or third module.)

• 5 months later...
Well, you guys have made me explore a little more and I can verify that setting custom key combinations using System Preferences/Keyboard does work but only if you assign Command ⌘ and Shift ⇧ modifiers without using the Control ⌃ or Option ⌥ modifiers.

For me even that doesn't work. I wanted to add shortcut to "About This Text..." command in the contextual menu, and indeed it shows up there (⇧⌘T), but it doesn't work.

Archived