New MacBook Pro

Julia Falling

Julie, I just got one, too. In fact, I'm replacing both my desktop iMac and my MacBook with this one machine. And you're right--Accordance is much nicer on the Pro. I always felt like I didn't have enough vertical space on the MacBook.

By the way, Accordance starts in TWO "bounces" from the dock on my new MBP.

I really felt that I lacked both vertical and horizontal room on the iBook. The 14" screen may be bigger than the MacBook, but it's not a widescreen. The resolution may be different, too. Our iBook is only four years old, but a 4-yr old student computer starts to feel pretty sluggish. My days of plodding along with a student machine are over.

I bought a refurbed Dual G5 PowerMac off eBay about 16 months ago. The G5 runs pretty hot and the fans can be loud, but it's fast, and I saved some money buying used. I don't think the PowerPC processor will be able to run Snow Leopard, though. Leopard is fine, however, and I may not upgrade the MBP, either. When the G5, now 3-1/2 years old, cuts out, I probably won't replace it. The Mac desktops are a lot of bucks new! When the G5 goes, though, I'll probably have to get a space heater for that room. You can really feel the heat coming out of it.

Hope you are enjoying your machine. I certainly like what I see so far, and it's been just over 24 hours.

I have neither Accordance nor a MBP (yet), but I sense the need for a support group now: "Thou shalt not covet. Thou shalt not covet. I'm Ingo, and I have a problem. Thou shalt not covet."

Slowly breathing in, breathing out. Repeat. Everything's gonna be alright.

:P Ingo

P.S. Waiting for Macworld in January (iLife '09, iWorks '09 . . . ?!), and may be even Snowleopard (WWDC June '09?!), and then waiting for the next Christmas sales, and then, well, never mind.

My hope is that the new MBP will have a long life. The hard drive can be easily replaced by a larger one later. Plus, the optical drive is now SATA as well meaning that it could actually be replaced by a second hard drive. Since my use of an optical drive is only occasional, I would not mind having an external one and using two internal hard drives in the MBP.

Plus, everything seems to point to the fact that these models are actually capable of 8 GB of RAM rather than the current limit of 4. Right now, with 8 GB installed only 4 is being used (although all 8 is seen). Hopefully Snow Leopard will change things. Right now purchasing 4 GB chips is too expensive, but prices will undoubted come down eventually.

See a discussion of the RAM issue here:

http://forums.macnn.com/69/mac-notebooks/3...ks/#post3748869

Looks like a major decision will be to MB or MBP? Love the compactness of the former but covet the screensize of the latter.

I've been able to experiment with a number of sizes and weights over the years when it comes to Mac laptops, now that I'm on my sixth one (not counting older ones I've bought off eBay simply to play with).

One of my favorite portables was the 12" PowerBook I got in 2003. What a great little machine. I loved the small size and the fact that I could throw it into backpack and barely know it was there or even carry it in the middle of a stack of books under my arm. However, by the time I sold it in 2005, I was already thinking that the screen was simply too small. There's been a move in recent years in Mac software to add a pallet to the right side of an application. It doesn't matter whether you use MS Word, Pages, or Mellel, they all three have a set of tools to the right. Most of the time these can be accessed through the menus or a horizontal toolbar as well, and I had to turn these pallets off on the 12" PowerBook to make the screen usable.

When I replaced the 12" PowerBook, I over-compensated for the small screen and bought a 17" PowerBook. The large screen was great, but I carry my laptop with me everywhere and that 17" PowerBook finally became something heavier than I wanted to carry with me all the time. So, I only kept this laptop for a year and replaced it with a 13" MacBook.

The MacBook was a widescreen model, so the issue with pallets wasn't an issue, but over the past couple of years, I've always felt like I still didn't have enough screen space. I always wanted more vertical space in a number of programs, especially Accordance. Now when I'm at my desk where I have an external monitor to connect to, this isn't a problem, but roughly 50% of the time, I simply have my laptop by itself.

Knowing that I didn't want to go back to a 17" again, I had decided a few months back that I would get a 15" MacBook Pro as soon as the line was refreshed. I had no idea that they would be refreshed so radically, but I'm thrilled. It's really the perfect functional size for me.

And Ingo, as you noticed with my purchase of a 2.8 Ghz machine, this time I'm hoping that I can keep this machine for a number of years by upgrading it now and then when I need a larger hard drive, and I hold out hope that 8 GB of RAM will be the true ceiling on this machine.

• 1 year later...

Archived