Add Context

Dewayne Davis

Is there a keyboard shortcut that will let you quickly ADD CONTEXT in the current text window? I know COMMAND 5 will open another tab for the current selected text. But I am referring to the ADD CONTEXT that you MOUSE SELECT at the top right of the window.

No there is no such command. Which option would it choose? Add one verse of context incrementally? Would this be useful?

Useful? I am not sure. I think it would, because I am trying to do it. But there might be a better way to do what I am trying. Basically, while reading over the last few weeks I have become more curious on a specific topic. I have created a search query in the Text window to display a couple of grammatical tags limited to the words of Jesus, limited further to John's writings. While reading through it, some verses I want to read the context. Rather than open the full context in another tab, it seemed prudent to just use a quick key combo to toggle the all context. Then as soon as I am through, I would toggle it back. Now maybe I won't find myself needing this again, and maybe it wouldn't really be that much more to just use the mouse or open the context in another tab. Or maybe I am going about this all wrong? I am always open for suggestions. Thanks.

I would find this feature very cool and very useful. A hot key combo to add context incrementally and one to remove it incrementally. Nice idea.

If you just want to read a bit more of a particular verse, it might make more sense to allow each verse that contains a "hit" to scroll individually, perhaps with an opt-arrow key combination. Opt-up arrow could scroll the hit so you could read previous verse(s); opt-down arrow could scroll to subsequent verses. Moving to a different hit would automatically "snap" this hit back to its regular appearance.

I don't know what such a feature would mean in terms of programming, nor if there is enough of a user demand to warrant it. Just thinking out loud...

I would use this all the time!!!

I am constantly performing word searches and "option-searches" on words. Sometimes I use this as a way to begin a topical study. Sometimes I am just hunting for the "perfect" verse to go along with the daily devotions I write for my church. Invariably, once I get all my hits, I use the context to find the one(s) that best suit my purposes. Toggling off and on would be AWESOME!

John

• 2 weeks later...

Ever since this topic was started, I've been wondering what would be most handy for the way I often read/study. May I offer the suggestion I've been thinking about? This will be tough for me to describe, but I'll do my best.

Suppose I am doing a word search in the NIV for

"sake of" <AND> name

... this just happens to be the most recent search I performed.

So, the Words button is highlighted, the argument above is in the search box, I've performed the search, and 1 Sam 12:22 is the first verse listed in the text pane. Now scroll the results so that Jer 14:7 is the verse at the top of the text pane. Now suppose I double click the Verses button. A * appears as the search argument and the text is searched to reveal Gen 1:1.

Here is where I suggest a change. When I double click the Verses button after doing the above word search, still have the * appear for the search argument, have the text searched, but enter the reference of the verse at the top of the pane from the previous word search (Jer 14:7 ... the result that is currently at the top of the pane) in the Reference Box at the lower right corner so that the text is opened immediately to that verse. In this way I could open the context of the verse at the top of the pane in the search results simply by double clicking the Verses button.

After reading the context of Jer 14:7 and whatever scriptures I choose, I'd like to go back to the original word search results and pick up where I diverged. So now double click on the Words button to have the previous search argument entered, perform the search, and scroll the results back to the previous verse that was at the top of the pane when I left (Jer 14:7).

Is this too confusing? Could this work? Or would it make the interface much less usable than it is now?

Just thought I'd toss these thoughts into the mix.

Blessings,

John S Gilliom

I would use this all the time!!!

I am constantly performing word searches and "option-searches" on words. Sometimes I use this as a way to begin a topical study. Sometimes I am just hunting for the "perfect" verse to go along with the daily devotions I write for my church. Invariably, once I get all my hits, I use the context to find the one(s) that best suit my purposes. Toggling off and on would be AWESOME!

John

Ditto from me. I find myself doing the same thing all the time!

Archived