Silly Navigation Question??

Bill Carson

Hello,

I am new to Accordance and I have a question that no doubt is silly. However I have perused the tutorial and I find myself perplexed. Any help would be appreciated.

When I am reading a chapter of the Bible, can I go to the next chapter, or a preceeding chaper, with a simple mouse click or with a keyboard command? So far the only way I have found is to type in the chapter number in the top search box. This strikes me as a bit cumbersome.

I notice that command-up and command-down scroll through the current chapter, but they stop at the end of the chapter with the error-beep tone. There does not seem to be any keyboard command for the next chapter or book. I have tried every combination of control-opt-cmd-shift up, down, right, left, pg up, tab, etc. with no luck.

The little triangles at the bottom of the window seem to only work for the current chapter as well. Clicking on the chapter or book triangles only elicits the error-beeps. Option-clicking does nothing.

As you might guess this is getting a bit frustrating. :angry:

I'm sure I'm missing something simple. After all, this is a program for Macs! :D

Thanks,

Bill

This depends on the search text you have chosen. For example, if your search text is Gen 1, and you scroll through Gen 1, the scrolling stops at the end of the text you have selected. If your search text is Gen (no chapter specs), you can scroll through all of Genesis. If your search text is * then you can scroll through the entire Bible. I hope this helps alleviate some of those frustrations. Accordance is a great product!

Peace, Ed Stoessel :)

Yes, enter * when you search for verses, and it displays the entire text. then you can jump to a reference by entering it in the text box at the bottom, or use the triangle access buttons.

Ed,

Thanks, that helps somewhat. Still it seems a bit counter-intuitive. If I want to look at John 17 *only*, I type in "john 17." If I want to look at John 17 and might consider looking at some other chapter of John later, I type in "john" and scroll to chapter 17. If I want to look at John 17, but think I might want to look at another book of the Bible later, I type in " * " and scroll through the entire Bible to John 17?

Grabbing the scroll bar and dragging up and down does seem fairly quick, tho it seems hard to stop at a particular book or chapter.

Too bad there's no keyboard command for next chapter or book.

Guess I will be typing the references at the top a lot.

I do like Accordance thus far. Really I do :)

Thanks again,

Bill

Helen,

Oh I didn't see the text box at the bottom!

Now I'm embarassed! :mellow:

Now that makes it all easier.

See, it was a simple thing!

Thanks again!

Bill :P

Bill,

Another thing you can do is utilize the Amplify menu and choose Context. In my experience, this has gotten me past the issue. Maybe it is not intuitive, but after some practice your intuition will adapt a bit. Once I found the amplify menu, I have turned to it frequently.

Peace, Ed

Too bad there's no keyboard command for next chapter or book.

That's a pretty nifty idea. I don't know if this has already been implemented, but the ability to jump forwards and backwards by verse, chapter and book is so blindingly obvious I'm amazed it hasn't been mentioned before (maybe it has).

I find clicking those tiny arrows to be too fiddly. Besides, I was always taught that PowerUsers use keyboard shortcuts, not menus, palettes, or mouse-clicks. How about it?

Try command up arrow, option-command up arrow, and shift-option-command up arrow.

It also works with the scroll wheel/ball on the mouse. Holding down the command button and scrolling down/up on the mouse moves by verse, &c.

I'm constantly impressed by the hotkeys in Accordance. We should all be more diligent about checking the PDF on the shortcut keys before asking for more features. I admit that I nearly always fail to do that. Good job!

Jeremy

I'm constantly impressed by the hotkeys in Accordance. We should all be more diligent about checking the PDF on the shortcut keys before asking for more features. I admit that I nearly always fail to do that. Good job!

Jeremy

The help file is, how should I say this? Helpful! Very easy access and you can keep a convenient list on screen until you have new shortcuts burned into your finger tips.

Regards, Ed

I'm constantly impressed by the hotkeys in Accordance. We should all be more diligent about checking the

Jeremy, Here is another solution, works everywhere. KeyQue

Jeremy, Here is another solution, works everywhere. KeyQue

You're right. This is a great addition to Accordance.

Archived