Predicate Adjectives

AdamRob

Hello,

Is it possible to search for all participles that are possibly functioning as predicate adjectives?

Is so, could someone please tell me how.

Thank you,

Adam Robinson

I think you need to define for us what you mean by "possibly functioning as predicate adjectives."

Hi Adam

just to bump this for you as well. It would help if you could be a little more precise.

i.e. -what precisely do you mean by predicate adjectives. I can think of at least a couple of different ways that could be construed.

Sorry for my vagueness. Usually when an adjectival participle follows a verb "to be," such as eimi, it functions as a predicate adjective. This is not always a guarantee of course.

To be more precise in my question, "how do I search for all predicate adjectives in Peter's letters and the Gospel of Mark? I new with Accordance and not sure exactly what kind of searches it can do. Is this one of them?

Another question, somewhat related, is, "how do I search for anarthrous participles that directly follow eimi?"

Thanks!

Adam

You need to use the Greek Construct window for both of these. I will let the Greek scholars give you specific examples, if they want to, but in the meantime I suggest you study the Help files on the Construct and watch the podcasts on that topic as well.

Hi Adam,

I can construct a bunch of searches that will get variations on what you describe. I am not sure how specific you are trying to be but perhaps these will give you some ideas of stuff to try. In any case I now have a clue what a pred. adj is.

For "how do I search for all predicate adjectives in Peter's letters and the Gospel of Mark?" :

Pop up a new text search window - I used GNT-T, In the search box try :

ειμι <WITHIN 1 Words> [verb part] <AND> [RANGE 1Peter, 2Peter, Mark]

I got 51 hits. Note that you will be getting all variants of eimi and you will get eimi before and after your participles.

I tried this : "ειμι [verb part]" <AND> [RANGE 1Peter, 2Peter, Mark] which would have sorted out the order but there are none such in the range. Removing the range you will see just three results.

For this case :"how do I search for anarthrous participles that directly follow eimi?"

"ειμι [verb part]" will give you the three results mentioned above.

You can do this with Greek Construct searches too but its more involved to explain and the results will vary a bit. There are a great bunch of podcasts on searching on the Acc website. I've downloaded pretty much every search podcast and despite having viewed them all I'm still not fluent in all the techniques available.

I prepped a simple Greek Construct (from the Greek Text hit Cmd-2 Its drag and drop from there) for the eimi [verb part] case above - screen shot below. I tried variations putting stuff inside clauses and such to eliminate troublesome cases where eimi variants occur in one sentence directly followed by another sentence beginning with a part. but results became less clear to me.

I'm no Greek scholar (not even a baby one) but perhaps some of this will give you some ideas.

Thx

D

post-32023-0-32875600-1363450415_thumb.png

With the syntax modules (which admittedly are not complete you can actually look for a participle in a predicate associated with a verb 'to be"

However, I think my logic must be wrong because I can only find one participle in the search. Any thoughts? (since the syntaxing is not complete, there may be other hits outside the corpus that has been tagged)

What the search is doing is saying..."Within the same clause, look for the verb "εἰμί" in the indicative mood, that is either followed by, or preceded by, a participle in the nominative case (since if it was acting as a predicative it would need to be (nearly always) in the nominative case)"

Here is the construct search

post-29509-0-68893700-1363754097_thumb.jpg

Hi Ken,

I just tried your construct again and I get four hits. See attached. I had tried something similar before my post above which is why I made the comment about "results became less clear to me". Not entirely convinced by four either I must say.

Thx

D

post-32023-0-47976400-1363928226_thumb.jpg

Try this, which reflects how the syntax was set up in general (though I've not been tagging the Greek NT). I don't seem to have the latest Greek syntax module and perhaps this will get results for someone.

post-29948-0-37302300-1363953598_thumb.png

Hi Robert,

Nice one. This gives about 200 hits though I will have to study the to see which ones appear to be true pred. adjs. which will be a learning exp. as always :) But the structure of your query appears to match the Greek syntax diagrams as far as I can see. I can also thin out the list a little by adding a WITHIN 1 between the PREDICATE and COMPLEMENT PHRASE which might be useful but I'm not sure.

Thx

D