Tabs or Separate Windows

Tom Castle

Hey folks. What is your preference? Do you prefer the tabbed feature of Accordance or do you perform all your studies in separate windows??

Ive found that I generally use the tabbed feature but I'm interested in seeing what are others are doing.

If you dont mind, share a little bit of your workflow for your favorite method of using Accordance.

Generally I will use panes for working with parallel texts and commentaries, tabs for working with broad searches, and then will use separate windows for language tools like BDAG.

Generally I will use panes for working with parallel texts and commentaries, tabs for working with broad searches, and then will use separate windows for language tools like BDAG.

What is the difference between panes and separate windows?? I didnt know there was a difference between them.

I use separate windows but was unaware of the tabbed feature. How  does this work?

Under Accordance 6.5 --> Preferences --> General, select the check box next to Open initial window as workspace with tabs. Click Ok.

Now, any time you hit Command - N, or any New Tool selection from the File menu, it will open a window with tabs. Any new tool that you open or any amplification you do to a module/tool will open a new tab within the same window.

Hope this helps.

Hi Tom--

I use tabs all the time in Safari, because the various "windows" (i.e., web pages) I have open at any given moment don't usually have anything to do with each other. I only need to see one of them at a time, but I can treat all of my Safari tabs as a single "layer" in the hierarchy of windows stacked up on my screen.

In Accordance, though, when I have more than one window open it's usually because I'm working with both (or all) of those windows on the same project. In such cases, I like to be able to see all of my windows--English text, original-language text, commentaries, study tools, notes, etc.--at the same time, so I can simply glance back and forth between them. (I'm one of those people you see sprawled out across an entire table in the library, with a laptop in the center and 14 books lying open in an arc around him....)

One of the "symptoms" of this style of work is that I have several saved "Sessions" that I've created for various common tasks: my basic session is a single window with a few favorite English translations in parallel, plus my personal notes in a pane at the bottom. My "Greek" session has the GNT, NAS95S, and my personal translation in parallel, with my personal notes, plus a separate window with the BDAG off to the side, ready for me to call it to action with a triple-click. Likewise, I have special window arrangements saved for Hebrew studies (with KB), worship planning (with the lectionary tool), Map work, Timeline work, etc.

I tried working with tabs in Accordance once, but found it involved way too much tab-switching for my delicate brain. I couldn't keep track of which tab I was looking at. Saved sessions lets me "learn" where on the screen I want to look for each particular "type" of information or resource.

Just my style.... :)

Thanks for that reply David. That is the exact type of information I was hoping to get into this thread. Very interesting methodology you have there.

Any others?

Personally, being an avid fan of tabbed Safari browsing and Adium IMming, I always use the tabbed workspaces in Accordance. One of the biggest things I use with that also is the Ctrl-Tab and Shift-Ctrl-Tab key combinations. It cycles through (backwards with the shift) the tabs, so I don't always have to go finding the correct tab I want to go to. Again, most of my Accordance work is done on my laptop with a less-than-ideal screensize, so realestate is very important. I'd imagine if I had more screen space, I'd prefer the window set up, so that I'd have instant access to what I wanted.

Thanks Joel. All of my work is done on my iBook so screen space is at a premium as well. Thank you for posting.

What is the difference between panes and separate windows?? I didnt know there was a difference between them.

I'm sorry, what I meant was that when I am using for instance the NASB and the GNT, I will click add pane so I can see them side by side, but when I triple click a word, I have it set up so BDAG will show up in a new, independant window from the other two so I can do a word study just in that lexicon. When I am done, I will close out the BDAG window and go back to my two original panes.

Check out my screenshot if you have time.

post-177-1117427551.png

Archived