Citation Feature was impressive

Chris Regas

At the Moody Pastor's Conference they demoed Logos in one of the general sessions since the President is a big Logos fan. One new feature that made me envious was when you copy and paste into MS Word the reference material immediately became an automatic footnote. That was awesome! Could this be done on Accordance?

Chris :huh:

It's on the to-do list. No promises, though.

It's on the to-do list. No promises, though.

You guys are the best!

David,

That is great to hear. It was very cool and I waste a lot of time doing less than standard referencing in my sermons and lesson notes!

David, just to throw another aspect into this,

I can see how this would be profitable, but I would rarely use it in academic writing because all of my citations and reference information goes into my Mellel documents via my bibliographic manager (Bookends right now, but I'm in the process of switching to Sente).

Can I suggest that you keep this in mind when working on this feature? What I think could work is having at least 2 options: The first is how Logos does it

I myself would rather it be, {Evans, 1990, #28526} which is the citation for that reference in my Bookends database. This would ensure that my end-result essay contained the citation in both the footnote and bibliography generated by my bibliographic manager.

Thanks, Danny

What does #28526 correspond to? I understand the formatting is a temporary citation that when finished is converted, but based on your suggestion it seems we would have to import every resource into Bookends in order to get this specific information. Then, what about Endnote, Refworks, Nota Bene, etc. ?

It seems there are actually two different requests here. 1. Copy-as citation export from Accordance to a word processor (with the possible option of automatically inserting a footnote); 2. Export of citation in a specific format recognized by a citation software program.

The first item is, as David mentioned, being looked into. The second is something that I do think would be nice (as I use citation manager software) but would require some additional work to find out how we could export a citation in a format that would be recognized by all the programs, or for each one individually.

Rick, you missed one crucial line from my post : "that the user has supplied to Accordance on that text"

In other words, i would supply for the Luke NIBC commentary "{Evans, 1990, #28526}", so that if I copy and paste from this text, Accordance would footnote it for me using the provided info.

you are absolutely correct, the citation style would be different depending on the users program. in my case, that number is the unique ID assigned to it by Bookends.

You said: "there are two different request .... 2. Export of citation in a specific format recognized by a citation software program."

I'm not asking for this at all, as its benefit would be limited and not worth the developer's time. i can fill in the info in my bib manager on my own.

i hope this clarifies what i meant. i am basically asking for the same thing that the Logos feature does, only I want to be able to specify what goes into the footnote.

i hope this clarifies what i meant. i am basically asking for the same thing that the Logos feature does, only I want to be able to specify what goes into the footnote.

Danny, Thanks for the clarification. :)

What about other word processing programs, such as Pages, Mariner Write, Nisus Writer, etc.?

What about other word processing programs, such as Pages, Mariner Write, Nisus Writer, etc.?

I agree. I actually don't like Word, but it is probably the easiest to manipulate to create this type of feature.

As the Accordance team does recommend Mellel for its Hebrew abilities, I hope Mellel gets on the list. but Pages and Nisus would make sense too.

Archived