typing with the Helena font

Anthony Sepulveda

[Windows version]

Hello,

How do I manually type the iota subscript using the Helena font? I checked the Characters window and there seems to be no keyboard shortcut for it. I also tried reading the "Accordance Fonts" pdf, and I can't get it to work.

Thanks,

--anthony

No, it doesn't. There is no keyboard equivalent, unless you use Unicode entry and find the keystroke there.

Ok; it appears that there is no quick way to do this then. Was this done on purpose by the creators of the Helena font? I think the iota subscript is common enough to have a key (or combination) assigned to it.

This is actually a Windows issue of not having Alt+ keys for each of the Unicode characters needed. So, you can either use the character palette, or simply switch to a Greek keyboard that contains the character and type it directly.

Hi Joel,

I tried installing and using the Greek keyboard layout in Windows 8.1, but it didn't have the iota subscript (they don't use it modern Greek, I guess); but how does the 'polytonic keyboard layout' in the Preferences work? Is it the one being used for the Helena font?

Anyway, for now I'll just stick to the Character Palette.

Hey Anthony,

I have three Polytonic Greek keyboards installed - the standard Windows one and John Schwandt's EZAccent keyboard and Tyndale House's. Personally I prefer Schwandt's because it's simple to use. (I don't type much in Greek yet though I have a typing tutor that runs me through the paces on a keyboard mapping which I've played with a bit.)

The Tyndale House keyboard can be obtained here : http://www.tyndale.cam.ac.uk/index.php?page=unicode

John Schwandt's here : http://www.biblicalgreek.org/links/fonts/keyboard.php

Thx

D

Hi Daniel,

Thanks a lot for this info! I'll try and give it a go one of these days.

Cheers,

--anthony