John William Wevers's Notes on the Greek Text

Abram K-J

I would love it if Accordance were able to produce modules of John William Wevers's Notes on the Greek Text Of... series that covers each of the books of the Pentateuch. Publisher's page is here.

I don't believe these are currently available electronically anywhere, in any format.

I noticed those--was thrilled to see them. I thought those were the text histories, though. Are there the Notes, as well?

Just checked the site--no Notes on the Greek Text, though, James, if you know where any free/legal pdfs of those are, I'd love to hear about it.

Yes, I don't see the notes. I've mentioned these resources several times—along with a gamut of other LXX resources (and even creating several databases). There has been little interest. Perhaps if more people chime in.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I hate to say, "Another Bible software program seems to have just licensed this resource," but the fact that all 5 Notes on the Greek Text volumes have been publicly announced as in preparation elsewhere... makes me want to at least re-open this thread and see if other users would be interested in asking Accordance to pursue developing such resources? (Personally I'd rather have it here.)

Suffice it to say: Wevers + Accordance would = sweet.

• Like 2

It must have taken a lot of restraint not to say Wevers + Accordance would = (better than) Swete!

I, too, would love to see this in Accordance! Bring on the LXX resources!

• Like 2

Well, at least we know there are three of us interested. :)

• Like 1

I would be too. But I don’t count for much - except here! I am worth 25% at the moment!

• Like 2

Did Ken's worth here just drop to 20%? And would he reckon that a good thing? :P

Yes it did, and I am gutted! Gutted!

• Like 1

I hereby take back my support, so that Ken will feel better. ;)

Thanks for thinking of my feeling Matthew - but I’d rather have your support, I must decrease so our access to Weaver may increase.

• Like 5

I'm getting used to it Phil... <_<

Sounds good; but can you delineate the excellencies of this?

Anything sour?

And I am wondering what would be the cost of such a thing.

I would like to have it.

Edited by Enoch

I've only used it here and there (though have gone in-depth with a couple of passages), but it has seemed really helpful across the board. If memory serves, Wevers was particular that these were "Notes" (and not a commentary proper) compiled as a result of his work in editing the Göttingen Septuagint critical editions for the Pentateuch.

There's nothing like it, really--Brill has started its own Septuagint commentary series, and there is a volume on Genesis. But Wevers covers the whole Pentateuch, and often makes mention of the Hebrew, yet treats the Greek in its own right.

Not sure I can think of any drawbacks--it may leave some detailed analysis left to be desired, but these are "Notes," so it's understandable. Maybe someone else can weigh in.

In print I've rarely seen even a used hardback edition for less than $50; $35 or so for paperback, per volume. The pre-pub version elsewhere is under $150. Not sure how Accordance would price it, but $200 or under would be worth it, I would think.

• Like 1

Hi Abram,

I actually had the same question. Are these basically text critical notes, or grammatical notes or simply a variety of observations on the text of things that appear to have struck him as he was studying it ? These sound interesting but I'm not sure how much use I would make of them.

Thx

D

I don't have my hard copy of Deuteronomy with me now to confirm, but I think his Text Histories (available free here) are more the text-critical side of things, and recall that matters of grammar and other textual observations are more the focus in the Notes.

Hmmm..... thanx for that Abram. It seems they could be interesting to have.

Thx

D

• Like 1

Even with its increasing popularity, there is still a surprising lack of good electronic resources like this available in the field of Septuagint studies. Though there's a lot more available electronically now than there was 10 years ago!

• 1 year later...

Well... another Bible software (one of the ones re: which Accordance is offering the generous Switcher discount) just cancelled their preparation of this resource.

That may or may not have anything to do with Accordance, licensing, etc. But it is to say that if Accordance were to decide to pursue this now, they'd be the only software platform offering this important Septuagint studies resource.

Well... another Bible software (one of the ones re: which Accordance is offering the generous Switcher discount) just cancelled their preparation of this resource.

That may or may not have anything to do with Accordance, licensing, etc. But it is to say that if Accordance were to decide to pursue this now, they'd be the only software platform offering this important Septuagint studies resource.

We've looked into these, and SBL Press does not have a viable e-text for these resources, so they would need to be OCR'd. As you can guess, this would be very time-consuming and expensive, and we are not interested in undertaking it at this time.

Thanks for the feedback.