Investing in UBS Handbook - good idea?

Unix

Hi Unix, this may or may not help, but I emailed sales directly about the UBS Handbooks and the status of the "Sale price" and they said

"the price should not go up in the immediate future. But that he can check back on a regular basis if he wishes"

I hope that helps some...

A quote from elsewhere: "I would put either of those Baker Evangelical Dictionaries of Theology significantly ahead of the New Bible Dictionary from the "Essential IVP Reference Library"." So Evangelical Dictionary of Theology 2nd Edition (Elwell) might be a good complement. Unfortunately it uses very little Gk, compared to AYBD. It references the NIDNTT a little. So perhaps EDT in combination with NIDNTT:

it may be over the top for what you are after, but the IVP essentials are excellent, of serious scholarship level. Assume a little Greek and Hebrew, but not too much (in the more scholarly volumes) and are a great price!

Edited by Unix

I am grateful for the patience that has been shown!

I'm gradually making up my mind, the biggest single obstacle being that if I choose to become an Accordance customer I would sometimes have to update the software and that would amount to a few times when I would really have to - during a lifetime. Since my investments in Accordance modules would be small except for the UBS Translators Handbook NT, the cost for updating would really be a bigger problem than switching back and forth between two softwares...:

Then, somebody sits down at the table across from me and asks everybody in the room for a menu and for some recommendations for lunch. One by one, a series of waiters and customers offer ideas for an excellent meal, but each recommendation is waived off as either too fatty, too expensive, too sweet, too savoury, etc., and nothing appears to be appetising. I'm afraid to mention my own favourites because he might publicly embarrass me about my addiction to foods that are either not nutritional or that are even potentially bad for my health!
Anyway, I come back the next day and the potential customer is there again, in the same chair with the same struggle. The waiters are still patiently trying to help and a couple new customers also chime in with ideas but all is to no avail.
[...]
I have to say that I really appreciate the patience and helpfulness of all those waiters and all those customers as they make such a commendable effort to please such an intractable "client". :)

... so I would really need encouragement whether there's more reasons to buy Accordance (other than functionality which I've discovered is what I expected), such as resources, either resources that are excellent value for money contentwise, or a cheap way to set up modules that work well together in order to have a the essential tools and functionality for the type of work and studies I would be doing. I hope I've clarified what that would be.

Then, if Accordance offers for example psychology books (which I haven't had time to ask customer service yet) then that would great.

• Making up my mind about lexicons is fairly easy.
  • I'll make up my mind about Bible dictionaries and such within a month from now.
  • Whether or not I would manage without a GNT at this point (for a start) is an important question as that is really down whether it would add enough usability. Eventually years from now I would probably buy a new GNT module. Maybe not an as heavy resource as CNTTS, I haven't even looked at the price and expect it to be expensive, more than $200, but thanks for the suggestion I know a few people who are looking at it!

Two counseling books by Jay Adams are included on the New Releases page.

Unix

Thanks for sharing your picture.

Just for the record, CNTTS is $99 normal price...so definitely not $200! :)

I'm currently considering whether I should make any further investments in Church history and theology resources. Particularly under consideration is whether I should get a multi-volume work on Church, or whether I should narrow down my forthcoming library investments:

If you're interested in theology, you might enjoy the writings of the church fathers

Now I saw this alarming post: http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8436&p=37282 ... it's as I thought. Updating the software will cost aproximately as much as I thought. I would need to update Accordance at least 3 times. At ~$70 a time, that would be $210 during a lifetime of 24 years.

I would also be glad if I get replies in: NIDNTT as dictionary (only Starter and UBS Handbook)? Reply there.

Edited by Unix

Now I saw this alarming post: http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8436&p=37282 ... it's as I thought. Updating the software will cost aproximately as much as I thought. I would need to update Accordance at least 3 times. At ~$70 a time, that would be $210 during a lifetime of 24 years.

Not to quibble, but the last several upgrades (e.g. Accordance 9 to Accordance 10; also 8 to 9) was $49.99 ($59.99 for 7 to 8) and such upgrades are always major. Yet 10.0 to 10.1 to 10.x has always been no cost, and many times includes major improvements. The initial purchase for 10 is $49.99 for new users, so your $70 may be high (though inflation could kick in).

I would be updating at least 3 steps at a time:

Not to quibble, but the last several upgrades (e.g. Accordance 9 to Accordance 10; also 8 to 9) was $49.99 ($59.99 for 7 to 8)

The updates are up to you - we never force people to update. People can still happily use Accordance 5 and their old content if they want. But, if you choose to pay for an update your computer or OS that isn't compatible with the older software, you may also have to update Accordance. But, thats your choice, we will never force anything.

Yeah I know, I had that in mind:

But, if you choose to pay for an update your computer or OS that isn't compatible with the older software, you may also have to update Accordance.