Logos 4 Launched

Kit

Hi there,

Logos 4 is launched. It looks very nice. Take a look at that.

http://www.logos.com/4

I still love Accordance anyway

Kit

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recently sat in on a one hour training session for Logos (I don't use Logos, but was curious about what it's interface looks like). The trainer (a person not employed by Logos) spent most of the time talking about Logos 3, but spent a little time with Logos 4 and showed the clip of Logos 4 from Logos' website. This was my first real exposure to Logos in action by someone who knew his way around the program.

Concerning Logos 4, the entire opening interface seemed to simply be a gimic to get their customers to buy more stuff. Granted they're a business that needs money to remain a business, but really? I thought Bible software was supposed to be about, well, the Bible. Now, I did not have an opportunity to spend time with Logos 4 to explore and try things so I can't say anything about the usability or how easy it is to pull up a Bible. But I guess what I like so much about Accordance is that you never have to launch the program and then click any buttons or go through any menus to get to the Bible. It simply launches to the Bible automatically. I am immediately confronted with what I want to read and study anyway and not some news article about how I need the newest books or features. If I want that information I go on the website. I don't want my software to force it on me.

Sorry to rant, I hope I'm not being unfairly negative.

Oh, and by the way, the things the training presented on for Logos 3 (key linking, collections searching, and a few other things) can be done much easier and more intuitively in Accordance than in Logos. Logos had too many steps and too many menus to deal with in order to accomplish what Accordance is immediately set up for in far fewer steps.

Oh yeah, one more thing, at the end of the one hour training, the trainer showed us the webpage that lists out the features that Logos 4 was supposed to have that they didn't finish yet. What's with that? That's the strangest thing. Who releases a product that's not even complete? Sometimes people complain about Accordance not announcing the resources and/or features that are coming down the pike, but I think I prefer this over being told "HERE'S OUR NICE NEW PRODUCT! .... sorry it's not yet finished... and we're not entirely sure when it will be."

Thanks for your comment. I love my Accordance too.

Just review their timeline and map feature, Accordance is way way better then theirs, in my opinion.

Thanks for the recent update to 8.4

Keep up your good work, Accordance team.

There is one feature that is very intriguing, though, and which I would love to see in Accordance: the ability to access resources from the iPhone. I find myself using my iPhone more and more for reading and study, even at home while relaxing. The Olive Tree software is great, but I would love to be able to access resources from Accordance, especially original language material. Any chance of this happening in the future?

Agreed, an Accordance iPhone app where I could access my resources would be the hotness.

Why?

I couldn't agree more, why?

I have been a Logos user for a number of years switching about 2 month ago to Accordance. I ditched my PC after countless years of aggravation and money and took the leap and invested in a Mac and have not been disappointed. Not knowing about Accordance I used virtualization products to be able to use Logos and Wordsearch 8 on my Mac. When I learned of Logos for Mac and Wordsearch for Mac I purchased them. But I am VERY disappointed in Logos. They released a so-called Mac product that was not even finished. Told everyone to simply be patient it would all be worth it when Logos 4 came out and when Logos 4 came out the Mac version wouldn't work at all. In fact, they gave it to Mac users as an alpha product! Sorry but they have seen the last of my hard earned money.

I also agree about having an Accordance iPhone app. At least something that simply allows Bible searches. Many times I am in situations where I need to look up a Bible verse and I don't have my computer with me, but I always have my iPhone with me. Plus, if one is waiting somewhere, like at the doctor or car maintenance of some kind, rather than play a game, what better to do than read God's Word. So I also cast my vote for an Accordance iPhone app.

There are three different products with Logos 4. Windows, iPhone and Mac. I'm a long term user of Logos (having only switched to the Mac platform a year ago) and in general I think the Windows product is a big improvement, particular in the design of the UI handling a large commentary and reference library. I don't have an iPhone (though I would like one!)

The Mac version of Logos is another kettle of fish. It's not done yet. Nor was the version before that done.

At this stage, there is no comparison when looking at Mac with Mac products. Accordance is still my primary recommendation to friends who ask about Mac software for the Apple platform. Even when the Mac Logos version does become more mature, it is in my opinion, a totally different ethos in design making it a different kind of tool. Power users might want to use both, I do but I have to use Fusion to do so because the Mac product is not usable yet.

That said, my thoughts for most people who want to study the Bible, Accordance is still my number one pick. In fact I just sold Accordance to a friend two weeks ago... so I'm expecting a cup of coffee when I drop in to see Helen and the gang sometime!

I too am a long term user of Logos with a lot of money invested in the library due to my tendency toward more, more, more. But after switching to Mac a couple years ago and discovering Accordance, I found that more focus on the word and less focus on the more is key to Spiritual growth. I think I learned that knowledge isn't wisdom and knowing more doesn't replace knowing Him more. And Helen and the others have bent over backward to help me build a very solid library. Thank you.

Because of a few factors I decided to sell a few duplicated modules and upgrade. A lot of it had to do with the iPhone interface. Plus there are still several things I still have not been able to add to Accordance like WBC, NIGTC, ABD, a few tools, etc... And with recent improvements in virtual machine software, it really makes more sense in my case to do it this way. I am attracted to the wow in new products, and I hope that isn't affecting my decisions. I don't want to be sucked back into the dark side. Logos 4 does have a wow factor, no doubt. But that won't help me in my walk. But! Is it Accordance? Well obviously not. They are each a totally different concepts.

For the past several days I have been mulling over which software to get for my mac - accordance or Logos. Logos has some good features going for it, and I love the fact that most modules are now downloadable (good for us in the UK) however their mac version is an alpha and has no real functunality, it is also based on windows code and built by a windows company, so i had to wonder just how good a mac version could be..?. Then there is accordance, the fact I can download a demo is a massive plus, I have been toying with it for a while, I would love a shift to more downloadable modules too... however it is mac software by those who know what a mac does, more importantly through it works - well, even on the demo i was able to dig somewhat into the two books there. So today I have purchased accordance, I downloaded the starter version which I have used to help me on my sermon on redemption and I have to say it has made a difference, even with the limited functionality it has at the moment (until the DVD arrives....). I am really impressed, its flexible and powerful and does exactly what I need. Logos is good but I think for mac there is only one sensible and safe option.

For the past several days I have been mulling over which software to get for my mac - accordance or Logos. Logos has some good features going for it, and I love the fact that most modules are now downloadable (good for us in the UK) however their mac version is an alpha and has no real functunality, it is also based on windows code and built by a windows company, so i had to wonder just how good a mac version could be..?. Then there is accordance, the fact I can download a demo is a massive plus, I have been toying with it for a while, I would love a shift to more downloadable modules too... however it is mac software by those who know what a mac does, more importantly through it works - well, even on the demo i was able to dig somewhat into the two books there. So today I have purchased accordance, I downloaded the starter version which I have used to help me on my sermon on redemption and I have to say it has made a difference, even with the limited functionality it has at the moment (until the DVD arrives....). I am really impressed, its flexible and powerful and does exactly what I need. Logos is good but I think for mac there is only one sensible and safe option.

Congratulations. You won't regret it!

The other thing to add is that Accordance is very, very stable. I haven't managed to crash it yet! Welcome! We hope to be seeing more of you on the forums!

Hi Donovan, saw some of your posts on the Logos Forum.

I recently purchased Logos 4 Scholar Silver. I was able to put it on one of my PC's but not on the Macbook Pro yet. I wanted to give my main reason besides available for both platforms eventually and iPod app. It was the easy pay plan. I can't afford to fork out $600 plus dollars all at once for a package. I can, however, afford a payment plan of $70 a month to buy a package. I also found it very confusing as to what package I need in Accordance. Thus I haven't upgraded Accordance since version 7.4.2 I can't make a comparison between the two products since I don't have a very high package in Accordance. I use Accordance for one thing and one thing only that is be able to put in a Scripture reference and then copy and paste the passage from Accordance into either Pages or Keynote. It is good for that function. If Accordance ever gets an easy pay plan I may revisit a possible upgrade then.

Dr. Mike Hughes, D.Min., Th.D., Ph.D.

Wilmington church of Christ

Wilmington, IL

mail(at)mikealrhughes(dot)com

Was this a Camp Logos training session. I thought they were a two day training. The training videos I saw on the Logos.com site were pretty good.

Dr. Mikeal R. Hughes, D.Min., Th.D., Ph.D.

Wilmington church of Christ

Wilmington, IL

mail(at)mikealrhughes(dot)com

Dr. Hughes:

I am a little puzzled by your posts. You have so far invested in our Introductory Library only, very very far from a $600 investment. If you are unsure what to buy you can email, or call our toll-free number, or post a question on the Forums. In no case will you get any pressure to buy a high-end package. We always try to recommend the best value package for your needs.

We do have a payment plan, for which we only charge a $20 one-time fee. Again, we don't push it, but it is available to help users who want to spread out their payments. We also offer no-penalty upgrades to higher levels, and a three month grace period. The former means that you can just pay the difference to go from Introductory level to Standard, for example, at any time as long as the version of the series hasn't changed. The latter means that if you, say, paid for the ESV with Strong's numbers, and within 3 months you upgrade to Standard level which includes that item, we'll give you full credit for it.

All these and other options are intended to make it easy for you to get what you want when you want it. The downside is that they do add complexity to our pricing, and so Accordance is seen as hard to buy. In reality it's easy to afford, but hard to choose between the options.

I don't know what training session you are referring to, as I do not see one referenced in this topic.

I had a look at Logos4 to see if it could complement Accordance - in VM mode using Parallels. Doesn't come close to the feel and usability of Accordance. I'll be using the 30 day guarantee to get my money back and I have just upgraded from Standard to Premier Library. I must say that a training seminar that I attended in Sydney, Australia last year was the best one day sessionI have attended on any topic. Thanks agin to the Brown's and all the Accordance staff.

Dr. Hughes:

I am a little puzzled by your posts. You have so far invested in our Introductory Library only, very very far from a $600 investment. If you are unsure what to buy you can email, or call our toll-free number, or post a question on the Forums. In no case will you get any pressure to buy a high-end package. We always try to recommend the best value package for your needs.

We do have a payment plan, for which we only charge a $20 one-time fee. Again, we don't push it, but it is available to help users who want to spread out their payments. We also offer no-penalty upgrades to higher levels, and a three month grace period. The former means that you can just pay the difference to go from Introductory level to Standard, for example, at any time as long as the version of the series hasn't changed. The latter means that if you, say, paid for the ESV with Strong's numbers, and within 3 months you upgrade to Standard level which includes that item, we'll give you full credit for it.

All these and other options are intended to make it easy for you to get what you want when you want it. The downside is that they do add complexity to our pricing, and so Accordance is seen as hard to buy. In reality it's easy to afford, but hard to choose between the options.

I don't know what training session you are referring to, as I do not see one referenced in this topic.

I recently sat in on a one hour training session for Logos (I don't use Logos, but was curious about what it's interface looks like). The trainer (a person not employed by Logos) spent most of the time talking about Logos 3, but spent a little time with Logos 4 and showed the clip of Logos 4 from Logos' website. This was my first real exposure to Logos in action by someone who knew his way around the program.

Here is the training post I was making reference to:

Concerning Logos 4, the entire opening interface seemed to simply be a gimic to get their customers to buy more stuff. Granted they're a business that needs money to remain a business, but really? I thought Bible software was supposed to be about, well, the Bible. Now, I did not have an opportunity to spend time with Logos 4 to explore and try things so I can't say anything about the usability or how easy it is to pull up a Bible. But I guess what I like so much about Accordance is that you never have to launch the program and then click any buttons or go through any menus to get to the Bible. It simply launches to the Bible automatically. I am immediately confronted with what I want to read and study anyway and not some news article about how I need the newest books or features. If I want that information I go on the website. I don't want my software to force it on me.

Sorry to rant, I hope I'm not being unfairly negative.

Oh, and by the way, the things the training presented on for Logos 3 (key linking, collections searching, and a few other things) can be done much easier and more intuitively in Accordance than in Logos. Logos had too many steps and too many menus to deal with in order to accomplish what Accordance is immediately set up for in far fewer steps.

Oh yeah, one more thing, at the end of the one hour training, the trainer showed us the webpage that lists out the features that Logos 4 was supposed to have that they didn't finish yet. What's with that? That's the strangest thing. Who releases a product that's not even complete? Sometimes people complain about Accordance not announcing the resources and/or features that are coming down the pike, but I think I prefer this over being told "HERE'S OUR NICE NEW PRODUCT! .... sorry it's not yet finished... and we're not entirely sure when it will be."

Problem with Accordance for me is: 1. Hard to figure out what package to buy to get what I was needing. 2. Running both Windows and Mac Platforms Accordance is only available for the Mac. Logos's payment plan allowed me to pay $70 a month for the Scholar's Silver package. I believe they will eventually catch and pass Accordance as a lot of seminaries require they students have at least Scholar's Silver package. Books I really need in a package were - Greek and Hebrew helps, Atlas, Encyclopedias, Pulpit Commentary, Keil & Delitch at least in commentaries. I use Accordance for being able to copy and paste text into sermons as my package is pretty limited.

Mike Hughes

Problem with Accordance for me is: 1. Hard to figure out what package to buy to get what I was needing. 2. Running both Windows and Mac Platforms Accordance is only available for the Mac. Logos's payment plan allowed me to pay $70 a month for the Scholar's Silver package. I believe they will eventually catch and pass Accordance as a lot of seminaries require they students have at least Scholar's Silver package. Books I really need in a package were - Greek and Hebrew helps, Atlas, Encyclopedias, Pulpit Commentary, Keil & Delitch at least in commentaries. I use Accordance for being able to copy and paste text into sermons as my package is pretty limited.

Mike Hughes

Mike, you should always call the sales team if you have questions about what package to get. While Logos might have a somewhat straightforward package system, most of what they provide is pure bloat (in my opinion). I'd rather have a little complexity and not pay for a bunch of resources I don't want than go with one of Logos' packages.

You can run Accordance in the emulator if you are on a PC.

What seminaries require this? I've been to four major evangelical schools (one of them being the largest evangelical seminary in North America) and none of them require any Bible software at all! Almost all seminaries with a PC bent recommend BibleWorks since it is better than Logos for original language work. I doubt that Logos will pass Accordance. I give Mac users more credit than that.

Mike, you should always call the sales team if you have questions about what package to get. While Logos might have a somewhat straightforward package system, most of what they provide is pure bloat (in my opinion). I'd rather have a little complexity and not pay for a bunch of resources I don't want than go with one of Logos' packages.

You can run Accordance in the emulator if you are on a PC.

What seminaries require this? I've been to four major evangelical schools (one of them being the largest evangelical seminary in North America) and none of them require any Bible software at all! Almost all seminaries with a PC bent recommend BibleWorks since it is better than Logos for original language work. I doubt that Logos will pass Accordance. I give Mac users more credit than that.

Lincoln Christian Seminary for one.

I understand the bloating. That is why I think, in Logos now, you get the basic package that has what main books you need and then add books later. I know Logos has the Nelson collection and the Zondervan collection that I plan to get once I get the Scholar's Silver package paid for. Again Accordance packaging was very hard for me to figure out have tried for the past 2 years to figure it out. Have written and talked to several people and still couldn't make sense of it. Went to Logos and they had the comparison chart and went found the books I needed and what package corresponded to get what I needed. I just now have to wait on the Mac engine to get completed. And besides I can access them on the iPhone again can't do that in Accordance.

Check out this thread - http://community.logos.com/forums/t/271.aspx

I understand the bloating. That is why I think, in Logos now, you get the basic package that has what main books you need and then add books later. I know Logos has the Nelson collection and the Zondervan collection that I plan to get once I get the Scholar's Silver package paid for. Again Accordance packaging was very hard for me to figure out have tried for the past 2 years to figure it out. Have written and talked to several people and still couldn't make sense of it. Went to Logos and they had the comparison chart and went found the books I needed and what package corresponded to get what I needed. I just now have to wait on the Mac engine to get completed. And besides I can access them on the iPhone again can't do that in Accordance.

Did you call the sales team at Oak Tree and talk through your needs with them? I'm sure they could have helped you understand the packages. I'd encourage you to call them next time you need to order Bible software rather than settling for Logos. Like you said, you're still paying for something that isn't even complete yet (and from what I read on their website, even Windows Logos 4 isn't complete yet)!

It would be nice to have an iPhone Accordance app, but I understand their hesitation. However, if/when Accordance comes to the iPhone, people who jumped to get Logos for its iPhone app will be wishing they had waited, if history is any indication.

I am a little puzzled by your posts. You have so far invested in our Introductory Library only, very very far from a $600 investment.

I think you may have misread his post. He didn't say he had invested $600, but that he could not afford to invest $600 all at once.

I find it welcome news that you have a payment plan. I don't remember ever seeing anything about that on the website or at checkout. It would sure allow me to purchase big ticket items that I've balked at in the past.

It would be nice to have an iPhone Accordance app, but I understand their hesitation. However, if/when Accordance comes to the iPhone, people who jumped to get Logos for its iPhone app will be wishing they had waited, if history is any indication.

In reference to the iPhone app: a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush!

I bought Logos4 with the iPhone app.

In reference to the iPhone app: a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush!

I bought Logos4 with the iPhone app.

I think the Logos app for the iPhone require you to be online to access the resources? (This was indicated in some blog I read, TUAW or something.)

The best I have found for iPhone so far, is Mantis Bible Study. It would be great if I could access my Accordance resources on my iPhone!

As for the debate on Logos vs. Accordance, I don't have too much to add. I tried Logos on Windows when it was the first version or something, and I never stuck with it then.

I have Quickverse for Mac, and it does give a lot of translations and texts for the money. But the user interface is not good compared to Accordance. Just regular navigating and sync'ing of texts and so on is much more inconvenient, Accordance is way quicker, smoother and easier to keep organized. So I don't mind paying more for all the time and frustration Accordance saves me every time I use the program. I have actually just invested in texts, dictionaries and tools for Accordance. I don't think I will regret it. :)

A question:

I was just showing Accordance to a friend and he agreed that it looked better than his software, eSword for Windows. But he commented on bibles being more expensive for Accordance (HCSB was $10 for his program). Is that just the price we pay for using the best software and having it all in the best/smoothest system, or is there also specific features/stuff included with the Accordance bible texts that usually is not present in others?

Don't you mean the seminary at Lincoln Christian University?

Even though LCU does require Logos (at least on paper), I have managed to get by for 2 and a half years without it. I almost decided on Logos, but the power of Accordance trumped the cool factor of Logos for Mac. I have a Mac and that should be cool enough.

However, I feel your pain about finding what you need. There are so many modules and variants on modules (like the bazillion iterations of the Nestle-Aland text). Fortunately I have a friend who has similar need to me who traveled this road before. In talking to him, I was able to figure out what I need. My recommendation to anyone looking to buy Accordance would be to call OakSoft and talk to someone rather than trying to converse via email and the forum. I did not need to as I had someone else to talk to about it, but they are just as willing and able to help out.

The big difference I see between Accordance and Logos as far as packaging goes, is that Logos has bigger packages that might cost a little less per book, but you get a lot of stuff that you might not need. However, I do wish that Accordance would offer a little more with their basic packages than what is offered. For example, I wish that the atlas and timeline stuff were part of every package as they come in handy for a lot of stuff.

Another observation before I am done. The other day I was curious to see what the difference was between prices for additional modules for accordance and logos. I looked at some things like the IVP background sets and found that the Accordance packages of the same things were a little more expensive. I would account for this in that they probably have to put in more man hours getting it into accordance format. Logos can offer lower prices because it makes money by quantity, whereas Accordance makes money from people who want 8 cylinders under the hood instead of 4. I also consider that OakSoft did run a real nice back to school special this year in which I participated. On the other hand Logos seems to be decreasing the percentage of discount that they offer to students (it used to be at least 40%, but now it is 30%).

I have a question - not meant to be snarky but a real question... why are these dedicated Logos users lurking on this board? If you've already made your decision, what are you trying to accomplish?

I for one spent $700+ on Logos silver because I felt the pressure to get in on a discount window. Soon after, I purchased Accordance and have spent every day since wishing I could have that $700+ back to spend on resources for Accordance...

Archived