Five Potential Features

John F. Hart

I have five creative features for Accordance. They may be helpful

1. I would like a key combination so that when my cursor is in a Bible text parallel window, the window could cycle through all my Bible versions. Sometimes I want to see every English version's rendering of a verse. Right now I have to choose the pop-up menu and often a submenu in a folder I have created. It would be great to have a keyboard shortcut (like moving up and down a verse with Command + arrow key) to cycle quickly to the next version in my list of versions.

Is Control-Plus and Control-Minus what you are looking for? These features were also recently discussed in this forum thread.

2. Sometimes I want to move to another place in the same book of the Bible. I could be in John 1, and want to go to John 19. Right now I hit the tab button to move from the entry box to the reference box (Go To box) at the bottom of a search window. But this highlights the whole Go To box. But I just want to change the chapter and verse and not have to retype the book again. How about if the second time I press the tab button it selects the chapter and verse without the book. Then I could simply type the chapter and verse.

A few (unofficial) thoughts on this. First of all, if you are already looking at just the book of John, you only need to type the number, it correctly knows you are in the book of John already. Secondly, you mentioned Command-Up and Down arrow and jumping by verse, but you can also do Command-Option-Up and Down arrow to jump by chapter, and Command-Control-Option-Up and Down arrow to jump by book.

Finally, there may be a better way of implementing this if we want to, but in traditional mac interfaces, tab selects an entire entry box. Be it in Safari, a widget, or the Mac OS Setup Assistant, it always selects the entire contents. If we were to tab through the chapter and verse, first of all anyone trying to get back to the entry box would have to tab 3 times rather than once, and it would break interface standards as the latter tabs wouldn't be selecting the entire box. I'm not opposed to finding some other solution, but I'm not much of a fan of the suggested option.

I'll leave others to reply to the other suggestions.

I have five creative features for Accordance. They may be helpful

2. Sometimes I want to move to another place in the same book of the Bible. I could be in John 1, and want to go to John 19. Right now I hit the tab button to move from the entry box to the reference box (Go To box) at the bottom of a search window. But this highlights the whole Go To box. But I just want to change the chapter and verse and not have to retype the book again. How about if the second time I press the tab button it selects the chapter and verse without the book. Then I could simply type the chapter and verse.

Would it be possible to add a pop up menu next to the Text Access Buttons at the bottom of the window; giving access to the available verses and chapters. Just like the pop up that is available at the Go To Box?

cntrl 1, 2, 3... through 0 and cntrl-- (control-minus) and cntrl-+ do just that.
So do ^↑ and ^↓, which is what I use.

Is Control-Plus and Control-Minus what you are looking for? These features were also recently discussed in this forum thread.

The Control-Plus and Control-Minus are not quite what I want. That is a great feature, but a little different from what I'm proposing. I noticed in the feature mentioned by Joel Brown above that DanG did talk about the same thing I mentioned. The Control-Plus or Control-Minus cycles through the Search Text. Different parallel windows move depending on what text is in that parallel window. I would like to keep the Search text and criteria in the Search box unchanged. I would like to click in parallel window #1 or #2, or whatever parallel window I have open and cycle through my texts in only THAT window without changing the Search text. If I search in a Greek text but chose Control-Plus and Control-Minus and get an English version, the Greek word becomes an English equivalent. I really end up kind-of losing my search. I want to cycle through English translations in a parallel window with the Search text unaffected

John:

I think you are talking about a parallel pane not a Parallel window. This confused us at first. All the control-options currently change the search text, not one of the display texts in the panes below. This suggestion was made on the forum a few days ago. Almost all the keyboard shortcut options are already used in Accordance, so I am not sure how we would implement it.

...Different parallel windows move depending on what text is in that parallel window. I would like to keep the Search text and criteria in the Search box unchanged. I would like to click in parallel window #1 or #2, or whatever parallel window I have open and cycle through my texts in only THAT window without changing the Search text. If I search in a Greek text but chose Control-Plus and Control-Minus and get an English version, the Greek word becomes an English equivalent. I really end up kind-of losing my search. I want to cycle through English translations in a parallel window with the Search text unaffected

It does make sense. There are ways of accomplishing some of the same results as you are asking it seems. First of all, are you sure you mean parallel window (presumably tied to the original window), or do you mean a parallel pane. Note that they are different things. Also, if you have a parallel window open, presumably using the [LINK GNT-T] command, then you can in fact change it's text without affecting the other.

I mean parallel panes. Thanks for the correction.

John:

I think you are talking about a parallel pane not a Parallel window. This confused us at first. All the control-options currently change the search text, not one of the display texts in the panes below. This suggestion was made on the forum a few days ago. Almost all the keyboard shortcut options are already used in Accordance, so I am not sure how we would implement it.

Yes, I mean parallel panes

A few (unofficial) thoughts on this. First of all, if you are already looking at just the book of John, you only need to type the number, it correctly knows you are in the book of John already.

Yes, this accomplishes what I wanted (I tried it). Didn't know I could do that. Simple solution. To review for other readers: in the same book (e.g., book of John), I can tab to the Go To box and type just the chapter and verse (without typing the book name, John), and the display window will go to that chapter and verse (in John). Great!

Archived