Starting the new year - Chronological Readings or Devotional Readings?

James Taylor

I love the update to Accordance for the iPad! One of the new features I want to start using is the new devotional view. I've been wanting to read through the Bible in a year and January 1st is fast approaching! Very timely implementation of this feature :-) It looks like there are two modules containing plans for reading through the Bible in a year - Chronological Readings & Devotional Readings. Is that correct? Any thoughts on which one would be the best for the first time doing this? Thanks for any feedback!

JT

It really depends on what you're looking for. Personally, I really like the Chronological Readings because they help you see the connections among those parts of Scripture which are focused on the same time period. Reading the prophets in conjunction with Kings, some of the epistles in conjunction with Acts, etc. is very eye-opening.

On the other hand, the Devotional Readings have the advantage of presenting you with an OT passage, an NT passage, a Psalm, and a Proverb each day. That can give you a more balanced set of readings for each day of the year than you'll get with the chronological approach, where one day might be all law, another all Psalms, another all Proverbs, and another all gospel.

Hope this helps.

Ditto to what David just said. I also found some Zondervan plans at the Accordance Exchange website. These are also good. The module installs as a User Tool.

Scroll down the page and look for Zondervan Plans

http://www.accordancefiles1.com/exchange/tools.htm

I've been reading the chronological series for a few years now, and find it really good (though I wonder why James is put before James the son of Zebedee's death - an assumption different to mine on which James wrote the letter?). For leap years, I switch to a different one, and enjoy the change.

I'd vote for the chronological order, it's really refreshing.

Ditto to what David just said. I also found some Zondervan plans at the Accordance Exchange website. These are also good. The module installs as a User Tool.

Scroll down the page and look for Zondervan Plans

http://www.accordanc...hange/tools.htm

Unfortunately, the devotional user tools will not be recognized as devotionals in either the Mac or the iOS. You can use them, but not in the special devotional features.

Thanks everyone! I think I'll stat with the Chronological Readings. I'll check out the Zondervan Plans as well, but i'm looking forward to using the devotional tool.

JT

Archived