Should The Accordance Lamp Be Updated?

David Foster

As I'm writing I'm saying to myself "Stop typing, no one asked for your opinion..." BUT I can't help asking this question?! :unsure:

Does anyone else beside me feel that the orange and yellow Accordance lamp is somewhat outdated? I've always kind of thought that, but it became really apparent when Accordance 11 and the new website came out. The new website is amazing (with the white icon outlines overlaying the pictures (see the bottom of the website)) as are the icons that are in the accordance 11 app itself (the 'off' grey icons)... they look so modern, so crisp and clear.

But when when I see old faithful, that orange and yellow lamp overplayed the Accordance 11 logo/design, it just doesn't seem to match... it's two different generations.

I also saw that Accordance is moving into a new field (hats and mugs and the like) which I think is great (I love community building ideas like that) but to be honest, to me, the orange and yellow coloured lamp on top of the new Accordance 11 design just doesn't match... :unsure:

Now I know this is only my opinion, and its unsolicited at that, but I was just wondering if there are other people out there that think like I do and would love to see an updated lamp.

The perfect example does exist though! It's the lamp at the top of this page. It's still the same, it's just a greyed out outline of the lamp but it looks amazing. Or the email/twitter/facebook icon outlines on the homepage of accordance that I mentioned above... they look stunning... I would to see that on a T-Shirt or especially in my dock!

And lastly, I've seen there are polls sometimes undertaken on the site, is this something that a user like me could do to see what people think or is it only from the top?

Funny, no one asked me either but only yesterday I was looking at the graphics on the Accordance home page and thinking how shabby the old lamp looks in comparison to the new high-tech looking artwork. The stylised image of the lamp does not connect to the name Accordance. "Anachronistic" might be a more polite way of putting it. Mind you, I haven't got any positive suggestions. I don't see the name Accordance being changed, but I agree time is right to update the logo.

Nicely done on the flat icon. But yes, it's time for an update. The icon still reminds me of the oil lamp video in Dr. J's podcasts, but it needs go more flat or even orthographic. Might even try an all-white shadow of the lamp over an orange background, perhaps.

I can see how the icon doesn't fit with the rest of the visual style, but I for one don't appreciate the move to monochromatics. I rely on color as a cue to ID'ing the icons in my dock and other places, plus I like color. I just upgraded to Yosemite, and I'm not happy about the fact that several of my menu bar icons lost their color in the process.

Maybe ditch the lamp but keep the fire?

I disagree. Just fire seems too cliche within Christian marketing. The lamp has a long history with Accordance and is good symbology. Flatten it and touch it with some light linear gradient. Redesign of the flame itself might be nice.

The icon in the top left of this forum is a good starting poitnt.

To me the lamp identifies Accordance, though its design has been updated occasionally over the history of the program. As for using a monochrome logo, in some places like this forum it works, but most application icons I have are in colour.

The icon I created I basically just ripped it from a "flatter" version of the Accordance icon I saw on their website. Personally, I think it'd look good for the default icon in Accordance. I don't mind the color in the icon, but flattening it a bit would fit well in with OS X Yosemite and Windows 8 (like the graphic I found off the website).

For Windows users, I could create a Windows version of it as well to post to the Exchange.

Also, texts, tools, etc., are still pulling the older style Accordance icon from 9.x. It would be great if/when the Accordance team updates the icons, they do something that's consistent across the board for all the various files.

I like the Accordance lamp good enough... I did briefly make one that had a halo of library books (copied off an accordance image), but it was too much a pain to always paste a new image every time it updated.

-Dan

i also do like the existing icon with colour. Of course the logo can always be rendered with another new perspective for the future upgrades. As you might know, the accordance bible logo has been evolved a couple of times already.

So..., would an LED lamp be more acceptable?

post-29215-0-54415000-1416702546_thumb.jpg

Are you serious, Dr. J? :)

:D :D :D

I like this conversation, and think it's a great question/observation to bring up.

FWIW, I am not a fan of the flat design. It's grown on me since iOS7, but for what a voice of dissent (or, I guess, contentment) is worth, I think the icon as is does fine.

• Like 1

So..., would an LED lamp be more acceptable?

Needs to be orange though :)

I like this conversation, and think it's a great question/observation to bring up.

FWIW, I am not a fan of the flat design. It's grown on me since iOS7, but for what a voice of dissent (or, I guess, contentment) is worth, I think the icon as is does fine.

I'm not a "huge" fan of flat design myself. I've gotten used to OS X Yosemite, Windows 8, and iOS 7+, but I miss some of the "character" and "funness" of how some Macs used to be. The new design is more clean and minimal, but I still miss some of the old eye candy and "personality".

Okay... round it off and make it an .icns file and I will make it my new icon.

I was sort of hoping I wouldn't have to do it, but I'll be good to my word.

Not at a computer now, but will install first thing tomorrow.

Unless what you've actually zipped up is an MP4 Rick-Roll.

(Thanks)

Just leave it the way it is.

• Like 1

I sort of like it the way it is.

Edited by davidmedina
  • Like 1