Greek Diagrams

Sean R.

Unless I'm mistaken, Accordance doesn't currently offer a module of grammatical diagrams of the Greek New Testament. BibleWorks and, I think, Logos offer such a module. I would find this helpful.

Unless I'm mistaken, Accordance doesn't currently offer a module of grammatical diagrams of the Greek New Testament. BibleWorks and, I think, Logos offer such a module. I would find this helpful.

I own both Logos and Accordance. Logos has something called "syntactical diagrams", but it does not have sentence diagrams.

Both applications have sentence diagramming modules. I have experimented with the one in Logos, and I found it to be clumsy and difficult. I find Accordance's diagramming feature to be far—very far—superior.

I don't know about Bible Works as I have never used it.

Jack

Edited by jackcav

The problem with this, however, is that it is impossible to definitively diagram the Greek New Testament. First of all, that would be an enormous undertaking because diagramming can take even longer than translating (try diagramming Eph 2:1-7, which is all one sentence in the Greek). With this said, Accordance Exchange does have a package of Romans diagrams along with the first 5 chapters of 1 Corinthians). Nonetheless, it takes quite a long time to diagram them.

Secondly, and more importantly, there are many verses that could be diagrammed multiple ways. Oftentimes there is a preposition, pronoun, adjective, adverb, etc that could refer to any one of a few other parts of the verse. Paul, for example, is notorious for this. Nonetheless, even if somebody were to undertake diagramming the entire GNT, it would be very much an interpretation that could (and I would argue that it would be) be quite wrong in at least many places. As I pointed out, the Acc. Ex. has a set of diagrams. When I was studying Romans five for an assignment I had a while ago, I noticed quite a few mistakes.

Thus, in other words, though its possible for something like this to be put out, it'd be a lot of work and I'm not sure it'd be a module worth purchasing. You can always make your own diagrams, though, as Jackcav noted.

Bibleworks comes with included diagrams of the entire NT. I loved this feature and have requested it for Accordance.

I'm not sure what BW's source is.. Did it take someone a long time to diagram the entire NT? Probably, but they still have it.

Is diagramming subjective? Yep. So are commentaries. Bibles too, for that matter. I still use them both.

Here's why I hope Accordance will offer a full set of diagrams:

1. I can diagram myself, but it's sure nice to check my work with someone else's.

2. It's a great tool for learning Greek, I find it very helpful when I can't figure out the construction of a sentence.

AMEN TO THAT! I used Bibleworks for years and always found that a very useful feature.

• 9 months later...

Bibleworks 8 has now apparently added a SECOND SET of diagrams for the entire NT? Accordance????

(BTW - Of course diagrams are subjective, and a second set allows us to better see where.)

The BibleWorks diagrams were prepared by Randy Leedy. They are very well done. (If there is a 2d set, I don't know about them.) I agree that providing a set of NT diagrams would be a very useful tool so long as they were prepared by a qualified scholar (Leedy is a PhD/NT). And yes, of course, there are some aspects that are based on exegetical judgment calls, but the bulk of decisions are not in that category. Where they are so based, it is a great help to the student and user to see how someone has understood the text. Some passages are not very transparent syntactically, so a good guide is far better than no guide.

In my opinion, the lack of a set of diagrams in Accordance is a glaring absence when compared with the other major Bible software packages. Of course, Accordance offers a much better set up for creating ones own diagrams (can that even be done in Logos or BibleWorks?). I'd still like to be able to compare my work with a credible set of diagrams.

We are working towards a solution to this "glaring absence" but if I told you any more I would have to shoot you, so please be patient with us for a little longer.

We are working towards a solution to this "glaring absence" but if I told you any more I would have to shoot you, so please be patient with us for a little longer.

Well, perhaps "glaring absence" was a little overkill. I look forward to the solution you're working on.

Accordance Exchange does have a package of Romans diagrams along with the first 5 chapters of 1 Corinthians).

I have just down loaded these, but I could not work out how to view them in Accordance. Can anyone help?

It looks like the issue is that they were made in a much older version of Accordance. I cannot open them by double-clicking them, as I get an error about not knowing which application to use, and it won't let me choose Accordance.

But if you start Accordance, and choose the File>Open command there, you can select them and open them.

I used Save as to save one of the files. I renamed it to remove the (, ), and . . The desktop icon changed, and now I have no problem opening that one from the desktop.

Lorinda

• 1 year later...

Any update on this?

The question is the lack of a prepared set of diagrams for the GNT in Accordance. The answer: we did think that we might be able to get and display a complete set of diagrams but for various reasons we are not currently pursuing that option.

However, as we announced last November, we are now working on a syntactical database and search capability. The display of the syntax will enable users to view the sentence and clause structure, though not exactly in the form of the classic "diagram." As to when the feature and the databases will be released, I can only promise that it will be this year, but I cannot give a specific date.

We are working towards a solution to this "glaring absence" but if I told you any more I would have to shoot you.

I'd just like to see Helen's gun. I picture you as more of a pistol-carrying woman than a shotgun-wielding one, Helen. But, I guess, we'll never know.

• 5 months later...

How do you save the diagrams you create in accordance? And are they then associated with certain verses?

and are there instructions for how to diagram somewhere (with accordance)? plus names for all the symbols?

You save the tab or the window as a file. It cannot be attached to a verse.

The Help files under advanced Searches: Grammatical Amplify gives some help with the symbols. New Help files are on the way.

Thank you. Because I didn't highlight all my verses, I now have three tabs.

- How can I save them and then re-locate them?

- Must they all be separate tabs and files?

- Unrelated, how can I make my diagrams fit the entire window?

thanks.

You can drag the elements from one diagram to another to combine them.

Save Front Tab from the File menu, and they will be in user/Documents/Accordance files.

I got them to group. But I saved as front tab and then try to load and nothing seems to happen.

I had saved a workspace that includes the diagrams. That loads. The diagrams themselves don't.

Ah, we've had problems with this. It loads but remains invisible unless you choose it from the Library window. We'll fix this bug, eventually.