Wishlist on Accordance 9

Kit

I would like to see more flexibility in the notes module. Kudos for the hyperlink ability for biblical texts. Is there a way we can implement a pdf attach option (e.g. like Omnioutliner can)? This way, if I wanted to link a biblical verse to a journal article pdf, I could do so, and have it open in a pane?

For me, it would very helpful to have a pause/continue to play option while using the amplify/language/speak feature in Accordance.

Tom

Just a few suggestions. Still not having mastered this wonderful software, some of the suggestions may be possible and I just don't realize it. Or there may be a better way of doing what I am requesting. Any tips or advice is welcomed!

Here they are:

1. Clicking on a Verse selects it as the focus verse, causing the synced tools in that tab to focus also on the clicked verse. This would allow you to view the previous context and not just the subsequent context of the verse you are focusing on. This is in contrast to having to scroll that particular verse to the top of its window to make it the focus.

2. An option to default your search argument to "ALL" when entering a phrase. Instead of having to choose ANY or ALL every time you enter a phrase that is not exact. Perhaps include a check box - Exact Phrase if an exact phrase is intended.

3. Shortcut key for getting to the context verses pop-up menu.

4. Customize triple-click on word in a key numbered text. Allow it to bring up the default english tool. Perhaps a shift-triple click or other combination to bring up the english tool's default.

5. Customize shortcut keys for specific tabs within a workspace.

6. Allow the maximizing of an existing and open tool window within the current tab and minimizing it back to its original size.

7. To completely be able to manipulate the size and placement of open sources within a workspace tab. Instead of only being able to switch vertical and horizontal orientation.

8. A toggle button that brings up a pop-up menu next to the Verse and Chapter arrows that allow you to click and select the verses and chapters associated with active Bible window. Like you can do for books of Bible with the Go To button.

What I'd like is an option to better utilize my Accordance workspace with a smaller laptop screen. As I see it there's quite a bit of wasted space that encroach on my view of the text. And while they may make sense, it would be great to have some options of maximizing the empty space. For example, in the attached screenshot the areas marked with red "circles" take up valuable screen real estate, especially so when my typical work flow involves leaving Accordance open in the background while I'm working with Mellel with a document that takes up half the screen. Accordance UI hasn't changed dramatically for many years. Perhaps it makes sense to revisit some old assumptions?

For example, the instant details window takes up space that can otherwise be used. Of course, even when it is set to automatically fade, all it does is show me what's under it, and doesn't help in terms of increasing my Accordance text viewing area. This is not to say that it is bad, because it isn't. But it would be great to have another option, perhaps, a pop-up bubble which shows the instant details when hovering over a word or a selection, but stays out of the way when not needed. Just my 2 cents.

If were adding some items to Accordance, I would make it easier to use Accordance for daily readings. It would be helpful to have preset toos, and just hit a "Daily" button and get it to open to today's devotional thoughts, appropriate scriptures, etc.

Maybe this is already a feature that I've not found yet, but I don't like having to find the reading for the day in the browser. Seems easy to automate that using system time.

Just a thought.

Also I like the new feature from the 'other guys' that will incorporate appropriate sermons from SermonAudio.com into the search results. That's handy.

One last thing, I'd give the UI a refresh. Something that feels more 2010, less 2000. Just thinking out loud.

Yes, yes, yes. A simple, intuitive, easy to use daily devotional reading window linked to other windows. And more devotional sources. Yes, Accordance is great for deeper study. And it is great for sermon prep, research, etc. But most days, in fact every day, I would just like to open my Mac, open Accordance and click on a button that takes me to the daily reading for Experiencing God Day by Day, or The One Year Bible for Men Devotional, or to select from a handful of other devotionals. And then easily open windows to my standard bible text or a parallel text window and then maybe to to commentaries linked the the verse/passage for today's devotional. This is my primary disappointment with Aperture and what keeps taking me back to Wordsearch on my Windows PC. If there were multiple bible tools on the Mac I this would not be an issue. I would simply turn to those. But there are really no other options. I can't imagine this would be hard given that it is really a much simpler view on the Accordance world. And it doesn't take away from all the (in my mind complex) stuff Accordance already has.

Dan

It seems that most users want to have a refreshed UI in the upcoming version.

I agree wholeheartedly with a UI overhaul!

We would be VERY, VERY PLEASED if you (OakTree) would implement Core Image, Core Animation, OpenGL 3.2 in the next iteration of Accordance 9.0. We/I would love to see the program's visuals to resemble Pixelmator according to polish, detail(s), and 3D-looking attentiveness.

I enjoy the detail of attention you've paid greatly to the usefulness of Accordance, but now I would like to see the same details applied to the look of Accordance's graphics to become far more lifelike, organic, and realistically consistent with animations, effects, 3D-looking smoothness and polish in texture, etc. To me the UI looks: archaic (in comparison to to-days apps I'm using), dull, plain, unattractive, and simply lackluster in appearance-though exceedingly useful, YES!, the graphics, to me, looks like something from the 1990's, examples: "Graph" and "Diagram"- need I say more?

I implore you to please impress us with the the next major upgrade/date, 9.0.

THANK YOU & Happy New Year!!!!!

• 1 month later...

1. PDF Integration within Accordance or Spotlight integration with Accordance. Here is why. I know we can link to PDF's but if the file ever moves then the link becomes useless and the linking process is clunky not intuitive. Right now I feel like I have two search engines, Accordance and Spotlight. But I have so many PDF articles and Accordance modules that I cannot remember where everything is. Is there a way to bridge this gap? Right now I might have to search every PDF article using Spotlight and then every Accordance module in Accordance and sift through the material for lengthy periods to find the right article. Also if I am reading a blog and I find a tidbit of good info I might take that and quickly paste it in a Mail.app Note because it will copy everything right into it very easily, but it is just another place I have to search later.

2. Better way to mark or star favorite articles permanently so that I can come back to them at any time even creating folders of links and naming them without copying and pasting links.

3. Better way to collect and compile and organize information in one spot to prepare a paper or sermon.

If this could tie in more with the operating system somehow that would be great. I am not sure how exactly, but it seems like this could be greatly improved.

If I just had a library of books and a notebook I would have to search through each book, read all the pertinent articles, bookmark and underline the information that pertains to my subject, take notes in my notebook and then beginning organizing this info on a page, always going back to find each article and underline on a page and then copying and notating along the way.

In Accordance the searching is easier in one sense because it will look for a word or phrase in every Module. But if I don't know where this word or phrase might turn up I have to search every module and that can take a very long time. All the while I am at a stand still waiting for it to finish. Spotlight on the other hand can search every PDF I have in seconds and I can begin using the results immediately. But beyond that, I still am trying to organize and copy and paste information back and forth between Accordance and Pages. Opening and closing windows, trying to remember where this or that phrase appeared and whether it was a PDF in Spotlight results or an Accordance module or in a Note that I copied from the internet. I can't underline or mark any of the User Tools or notes in Accordance. It just seems that some type of information integration between Accordance and OSX or Pages should be able to improve this process beyond this and become much more fluid utilizing the strength of the computer.

I saw this video of the Courier Tablet and while it is futuristic and amazing, I thought something moving in this direction (not the form, but the way it functions as far as how easily the information moves between the different applications) could be awesome if some of the principles were applied to compiling and organizing Biblical information between Accordance and OSX.

http://gizmodo.com/5365299/courier-first-details-of-microsofts-secret-tablet

Anyway, just some ideas and ramblings.

This is a Wish List. ;

I would like it very much if the UI allowed for everything to fit within one surface area.

I have a macbook 13" and also use a larger screen at my office, it is very frustrating having to resize everything , having blank spots between Accordance "boxes" and the screen behind it, things of this sort.

Time is difficult to manage these days and I would personally like to have one interface come up that I can save for each screen I have.

Being able to decide how many content "boxes" I have and what is in them is wonderful, yet would like to see all of that "inside" one "overall" UI.

Thanks so much for allowing us to give input.

Grace and Peace,

Rusty+

I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned...

I would like to see a better way to manage windows within each 'tab.' Currently, you can add new 'panels' within a tab which only orient themselves in 1 of 2 ways (horizontally - all the way across the screen, or vertically - all the way across the screen).

I would be nice to be able to split a tab to have 2 vertical panels, and then split either the right, or left panel further in a horizontal direction. So, I could then have the left side of a 'tab' be a panel from the top to the bottom of the screen, but the right panel (also top to the bottom of the screen) could be split having a top and a bottom section - on the the top section could be further divided into a couple of vertical columns. I could then have a couple of English translations in the top right section, study notes/user notes below that (bottom section on the right panel), and then have the GNT go from the top to the bottom of the screen on the left side.

Is there already a way to do this? If not, maybe this kind of personalization could be added?

1. PDF Integration within Accordance or Spotlight integration with Accordance. Here is why. I know we can link to PDF's but if the file ever moves then the link becomes useless and the linking process is clunky not intuitive. Right now I feel like I have two search engines, Accordance and Spotlight. But I have so many PDF articles and Accordance modules that I cannot remember where everything is. Is there a way to bridge this gap? Right now I might have to search every PDF article using Spotlight and then every Accordance module in Accordance and sift through the material for lengthy periods to find the right article. Also if I am reading a blog and I find a tidbit of good info I might take that and quickly paste it in a Mail.app Note because it will copy everything right into it very easily, but it is just another place I have to search later...

In Accordance the searching is easier in one sense because it will look for a word or phrase in every Module. But if I don't know where this word or phrase might turn up I have to search every module and that can take a very long time. All the while I am at a stand still waiting for it to finish. Spotlight on the other hand can search every PDF I have in seconds and I can begin using the results immediately. But beyond that, I still am trying to organize and copy and paste information back and forth between Accordance and Pages. Opening and closing windows, trying to remember where this or that phrase appeared and whether it was a PDF in Spotlight results or an Accordance module or in a Note that I copied from the internet. I can't underline or mark any of the User Tools or notes in Accordance. It just seems that some type of information integration between Accordance and OSX or Pages should be able to improve this process beyond this and become much more fluid utilizing the strength of the computer.

This is a Wish List. ;

• 3 months later...

This wishlist of one user has become a general place for suggestions. I am closing it now, and splitting off some posts into separate topics. Please make your new suggestions in new topics in this forum with titles that reflect your idea, otherwise we simply cannot keep track of them.

Thanks!

The Forum police strikes again! ;)

Archived