Additional Oxford University Press Titles

twbeining

I would love to see the NOAB (New Oxford Annotated Bible) added. I would also like to see the Oxford Bible Commentary added. These are excellent resources.

Tim

Edited by twbeining
  • Like 2

I would love both those too… I am lucky enough to have the old OBC for logos even though i can't use it on my iPad, i value it, and would gladly purchase it from Accordance, so i could use it on my iPad.

-Dan

• Like 1

Hi Dan,

I have both in other formats, a hard copy of NOAB and I like you have OBC for Logos. I would love to see them in Accordance. That would be about all it would take for me to quit using the "other" software altogether. It is just way too many bugs and in my opinion is slow. I really like Accordance, it is good solid software and I hope they can add these resources.

Also there are a lot of other titles from Oxford University Press that would be great to have on Accordance.

Tim

• Like 1

You could add me as one who would like both titles but especially the NOAB. It would not have to be the latest edition. My favorite edition of the NOAB is the 2nd but any edition would be an instant purchase if it were available in Accordance.

• Like 1

Put me down as one wanting the NOAB; it would be an instant-purchase and my first "study bible" for Accordance.

It's a sad thing that Accordance has some Oxford study bibles (Scofield, Catholic, Jewish) but failed to get NOAB (it very well may not have ben offered but about the time they got the others they had been released for the Palm/Windows CE, eventually Olivetree took all over except the NOAB which was left in handmark distribution alone. I even tried to hack my iPhone BibleReader to get NOAB into it, but i was informed that while the files inside are labeled the same as the palm files they are not compatible.

-Dan

Does anyone know if Accordance is planning any of these resources (NOAB, OBC or others from Oxford)? Maybe someone from Accordance can jump in here and give us some insight.

Tim

We are pursuing additional titles from OUP, but don't have anything specific to report as of now. Thanks for the requests; they are noted.

Thanks Rick!

I will check back in on this sometime down the road to see if there are any updates on when you might have them.

Thanks again,

Tim

One has to realize that dealing with Oxford can be very hard too… I know Logos had started producing the Oxford Latin Dictionary, started work on it and then Oxford for whatever reason pulled the contract. It ruffled not a few peoples feathers who had preordered it, I also remember Helen saying things did not go easy while getting the Revised English Bible.

-dan

• 2 weeks later...

I would be extremely interested in both The New Oxford Annotated Bible and The Oxford Bible Commentary. The latter commentary, along with The New Jerome Biblical Commentary and The Eerdmans Bible Commentary, are among the most frequently cited one-volume commentaries in scholarly literature. Any of these, particularly TOBC or TNJBC, would be an instant purchase for me.

In my opinion, the absence of The New Oxford Annotated Bible and The HarperCollins Study Bible from the Accordance library are especially unfortunate, since these are the study Bibles used in religious studies courses in most colleges, universities, and mainline seminaries. I would love to recommend Accordance to my undergraduate students, but I can't really ask them to make such a significant monetary investment when the program doesn't include either of the study Bibles required for the course. I completely understand the difficulties surrounding contracts and copyrights... I just wanted to share my thoughts.

• Like 2

In additi

I would be extremely interested in both The New Oxford Annotated Bible and The Oxford Bible Commentary.

Having the OBC in Accordance would be most welcome and eliminate me having to hire a former pro football to lug that 75lb book to my desk.. :)

Hi Greg,

while I am the last person in the world to make light of someone else's typos, just the image of a pro football lugging a book around captured my imagination. I wish I was an artist!

Is that what is meant by a ball carrier? :)

Matthew,

I would also like to see the HarperCollins Study Bible added to Accordance. In my opinion it rates close to the NOAB. I have a hard copy of HarperCollins and it is always in reach at my desk right along side of my NOAB. Both are fine study Bibles.

Tim

I would be extremely interested in both The New Oxford Annotated Bible and The Oxford Bible Commentary. The latter commentary, along with The New Jerome Biblical Commentary and The Eerdmans Bible Commentary, are among the most frequently cited one-volume commentaries in scholarly literature. Any of these, particularly TOBC or TNJBC, would be an instant purchase for me. In my opinion, the absence of The New Oxford Annotated Bible and The HarperCollins Study Bible from the Accordance library are especially unfortunate, since these are the study Bibles used in religious studies courses in most colleges, universities, and mainline seminaries. I would love to recommend Accordance to my undergraduate students, but I can't really ask them to make such a significant monetary investment when the program doesn't include either of the study Bibles required for the course. I completely understand the difficulties surrounding contracts and copyrights... I just wanted to share my thoughts.

Thanks for the requests on additional titles here; we'll look into them. The NJBC (3d ed.) looks like it was published in 1999 which may mean an e-text is not readily available.

However, I am a little perplexed by your comment on not being able to recommend Accordance because of the lack of these resources (specifically NOAB and HarperCollins SB)…does that mean you don't recommend any Bible software to your students? These titles are not available any Bible software platform.

Edited by Rick Bennett

Rick, the HarperCollins Study Bible is available for BibleReader from OliveTree.

Rick, the HarperCollins Study Bible is available for BibleReader from OliveTree.

Ah, yes; I remember that now. I guess they count… B)

And OUP had 2nd edition of NOAB for the computer I use it occasionally still via BasiliskII and NOAB 3rd edition was made for Olivetree's software via handmark. In fact it is still for sale, if you still happen to be using a palm or old windows CE PDA.

-Dan

NOAB is now available for Wordsearch. I was kind of surprised to see it there but it is there.

Tim

Edited by twbeining

NOAB is now available for Wordsearch. I was kind of surprised to see it there but it is there.

Tim

Thanks for pointing this out.

However, I am a little perplexed by your comment on not being able to recommend Accordance because of the lack of these resources (specifically NOAB and HarperCollins SB)…does that mean you don't recommend any Bible software to your students? These titles are not available any Bible software platform.

Hi Rick,

That's correct... I don't normally recommend any Bible software to my undergraduate students (with the significant exception of some experienced upper-level undergraduates and those involved in language study). Many undergraduates begin their collegiate careers without much experience in reading the Bible or a significant level of biblical literacy, which is why NOAB and HCSB are assigned in so many introductory survey courses... the introductions and notes assist them as they discover different critical approaches to the study of the Bible. The majority of students in these types of courses aren't going to major in religious studies, and Bible software packages represent a particularly weighty financial investment on their part. In light of these facts, if the study Bibles that they are required to use for their primary readings aren't available with a particular software package, then I can't really encourage most of them to buy it, whatever it is. However, I should reiterate that I do recommend Accordance to everyone in upper-level seminars or language courses.

In my mind, adding NOAB and HCSB would be particularly advantageous for Accordance because they possess the potential to open up a new demographic of users that remains relatively untapped. Given Accordance's accessible interface and powerful search capabilities, as well as the variety of competitively priced packages, I would recommend that all of my students consider buying a package of some kind and pairing it with one of these study Bibles if they were available. I think that the advantages of the program would make the biblical text more accessible to them in many ways, and would lead to better research on their part.

• Like 2

Hi Rick,

That's correct... I don't normally recommend any Bible software to my undergraduate students (with the significant exception of some experienced upper-level undergraduates and those involved in language study). Many undergraduates begin their collegiate careers without much experience in reading the Bible or a significant level of biblical literacy, which is why NOAB and HCSB are assigned in so many introductory survey courses... the introductions and notes assist them as they discover different critical approaches to the study of the Bible. The majority of students in these types of courses aren't going to major in religious studies, and Bible software packages represent a particularly weighty financial investment on their part. In light of these facts, if the study Bibles that they are required to use for their primary readings aren't available with a particular software package, then I can't really encourage most of them to buy it, whatever it is. However, I should reiterate that I do recommend Accordance to everyone in upper-level seminars or language courses.

In my mind, adding NOAB and HCSB would be particularly advantageous for Accordance because they possess the potential to open up a new demographic of users that remains relatively untapped. Given Accordance's accessible interface and powerful search capabilities, as well as the variety of competitively priced packages, I would recommend that all of my students consider buying a package of some kind and pairing it with one of these study Bibles if they were available. I think that the advantages of the program would make the biblical text more accessible to them in many ways, and would lead to better research on their part.

Thanks for the clarification Matthew; I definitely see where you're coming from. On a more general note, though, we are striving to attract users of any stripe - whether those who major in religion or not, but are interested in digging deeper in to the text. And, we have several entry-level price points (and a free iOS app as you no doubt know) aimed at this goal.

And, everyone, please keep in mind publisher negotiations are often very laborious processes that involve many levels of discussion, and the end result is not always mutually beneficial. With this recent surge in requests I can say that we are looking into these titles.

Thanks for the feedback.

NOAB is now available for Wordsearch. I was kind of surprised to see it there but it is there. Tim

That is a surprise….I rarely use this, just basically now and then to use the original Interpreter's Bible, which works very badly on the iPAD but this is nice to know but i think I will wait to hope it comes sooner than later to accordance.

-Dan

Dan,

Like you I have Wordsearch but rarely if ever use it any anylonger. I bought Accordance especially to replace WS and Logos. Also like you I will not get the NOAB from them. I too will hang in and hope that it comes to Accordance.

Tim

• Like 1

With this recent surge in requests I can say that we are looking into these titles.

Thanks for the feedback.

Rick,

That is one of the many great things about Accordance: the voice of the user is heard. We really appreciate that a whole bunch!

• Like 1