How to use Bible Software for Study

mrsstench

Hello, I am new to bible software, and I would like to study the bible but I don't know how. I recently bought the Starter collection along with the Catholic and graphic add-ons. Problem is I don't understand what I should be searching for? I hope this doesn't sound silly but I really want to learn more about the bible, but don't know how to go about doing so.

Any help would be apprecaited.

Thanks,

Lydia

Check out the podcasts by Dr. J. He has a couple of how to study the Bible podcasts - and after watching them, you will probably want to watch all of the others too.

Welcome to Accordance.

Hi,

I completely concur with Fr Rich here. Search fo Lighting the Lamp in the iTunes podcast area, or get them from here. I think #9.1 and #9.2 snf then #69 and #71 are good places to start.,

Edited by Ken Simpson

This topic is definitely to large for a forum post. However it is one of the best questions that can be asked. I would like to share a few things that I have learned from my experience. I will give you the short version. :D

1. James 1:5-7; The first thing anyone should ever do when considering the bible is to pray and ask for wisdom and guidance.

2. John 16:12-13; One of the coolest things about being a child of God is that you get the Holy Spirit to lead you into the truth.

3. Prov 2; Seek. This means read and think (meditate) about what you have read. This is one of the ways that the Holy Spirit leads you.

4. 1 John 4:1; Test what you find. This can be done effectively by asking questions. Think of it as you were just told this by your kid and are trying to see if they are lying.

This is obviously an under simplification but it may help get you started. Keep asking and remember 2 Peter 1:19-21. Do not believe what people say. Always ask for their reasons. Then pray and look for if they (arguments) can be supported by the scriptures.

Thank you, I have subscribe to the podcast and plan to start listening to them tomorrow. Ken the numbers where helpful as I was overwhelmed and naturally assumed I should start at number 1.

Fr. Rich thanks for the welcome.

Getinthebible I thank you for the verses.

Lydia

Edited by mrsstench

I too just purchased Accordance. Thanks for the links, it's a bit overwhelming to learn how to make the most of a program such as this. I found by trial and error that if I hold control-option-command and left-click on a word it will define it, is there a listing of other shortcuts that would help someone new to Accordance? Thanks.

Yes, there is a list in the Accordance Help Files. Under the Help menu item, there is also several other venues for you to consider as you use Accordance in your studies [see photo below].

I think the Key to learning anything—not just Accordance—is to remember that learning is a process. Don't be overwhelmed with all the things that Accordance can do, but focus on what you currently want to do. Query the help files or the forums (or just get curious) about the various ways to accomplish your specific task. With continued use, your knowledge of the app will increase.

By the way, to call up the Instant Details, you only need to hold opt while clicking. You can also click and hold (the duration of the hold can be adjusted in system preferences) to call up the Instant Details.

Edited by James Tucker

Thanks. Option-LeftClick brings up the Greek etymology but Option-Command-LeftClick brings up the Mounds Greek Dictionary definition along with the Easton Dictionary definition which is one of the things I really need (parallel bibles help a lot too).

I too just purchased Accordance. Thanks for the links, it's a bit overwhelming to learn how to make the most of a program such as this.

The neatest thing for me was that, after I learned to do the things that I wanted to do, I began branch out and discover other things that I could do with Accordance. The whole process of learning to use Accordance actually enriched my appreciation for and my understanding of the Bible. It even lured me into studying Greek.