Greetings and naive question

Leopold Green

Hi,

I've lurked reading these forums and watching Dr. J's podcasts for almost 5 years but only finally got rounding to actually buying Accordance during the 20th anniversary sale. Now I seem to have acquired a good few extra modules in the month or so afterward...

It is a wonderful programme and I am enjoying finding my way around. I am also enjoying find my way around the Bible as I am not a member of any church [childhood experiences have rather made me quite wary of churches] but I do believe in God and I do want to understand better that thing I believe - I think I mean to say that I believe 'emotionally' and would like to be able to believe 'intellectually' also...

Anyway this is a really silly query but it does bug me:

I've just bought the Revised ISBE [while I save up for the Anchor] and even though I have set it at the top of my English Tools when I select a word in a verse, right mouse click and then select "Look up>Dictionary" it opens either Greek strongs or Mounce greek and never the Rev ISBE. This is really frustrating [especially as on the iPad the select>amplify>word works a treat].

I've added a screen grab to try and illustrate... I'm trying to look up Mary in Matt 1:20 in the KJVS on left hand screen and get Greek strongs on the right... it doesn't matter which word I select or which translation.

Any ideas grateful received.

Thanks and sorry for such a rookie query...

Leopold

post-29557-0-95085600-1402077279_thumb.jpg

Welcome, at long last to the Accordance family. So glad you finally took the plunge!

In a grammatically tagged text, your default dictionary is hard coded to the text. As you've seen, it varies on the bible text. If you were to try the same style look up on a non-grammatically tagged text you'll find that the search will open up in your default English tool.

The method you mention on the iPad will work the same on the desktop app. Just highlight the word, click the amplify button in the tool bar, the menu item, or if you have the library open, the amplify button next to Revised ISBE and you'll be right as rain.

[Edit: Thanks Dr. J for reminding me of the "shift" trick. Even working on the program, you forget the little things… ;) ]

Edited by Graham Buck

Welcome, Leopold, and thanks for watching our podcasts!

It sounds like you are using a Key Number text, which is linked to its Key Number dictionary. If you will hold the shift key down as you triple-click, it will open your ISBE (assuming it's at the top of your English tools). If you are looking at Instant Details, the ISBE article appears after the Key number dictionary article. Sometimes the Instant Details space is too small to show it.

If you'll press Cmd-opt when your cursor is over the word, Instant Details will open as a pop-up. It can then be scrolled to read both articles.

Again, welcome to Accordance—and enjoy! :)

Edited by Timothy Jenney

Very many thanks Graham and Dr. J! and thanks for making this forum so welcoming!