Two interface features

Ryan Kilgore

Hello OakTree and fellow Accordance users!

Two feature's I'm really missing in Accordance:

Windows that snap.

I usually keep the Resource Palatte and Instant Details windows open in addition to my search window. I like to keep them visible, but not overlapping the search window. If I decide to resize my search window, I have to move both of the other windows to a convenient location. It would be really nice if they would automatically snap to the side of the screen or to the side of the search window. Even better would be the option to make them part of the search window. :)

Home/end usage in search box.

Currently when I'm typing in a search string in the search box, but then decide I want to remove the first word or something, pushing the home key or Cmd-Left will not return my cursor to the far left of the text. In the same way, if I want to move the cursor to the end of the line of text, neither the end key nor Cmd-Right will take it there. I have to either hold down the right or left arrow key or move it with the mouse. I think this is a standard interface feature across the board and I'm confused why I don't find it in Accordance.

Thanks for taking the time to listen to my requests!

-Ryan

Home/end usage in search box.

Currently when I'm typing in a search string in the search box, but then decide I want to remove the first word or something, pushing the home key or Cmd-Left will not return my cursor to the far left of the text. In the same way, if I want to move the cursor to the end of the line of text, neither the end key nor Cmd-Right will take it there. I have to either hold down the right or left arrow key or move it with the mouse. I think this is a standard interface feature across the board and I'm confused why I don't find it in Accordance.

You can use the Up and down Arrow keys to jump to the front or back, respectively. I'm not sure when Home/End or Cmd-Left/Cmd-Right are generally used, but I've found most mac applications support the Up/Down method as standard. That may just be my limited experience.

Windows that snap.

I usually keep the Resource Palatte and Instant Details windows open in addition to my search window. I like to keep them visible, but not overlapping the search window. If I decide to resize my search window, I have to move both of the other windows to a convenient location. It would be really nice if they would automatically snap to the side of the screen or to the side of the search window. Even better would be the option to make them part of the search window.

You are right to keep these windows open. However, they should not become part of the Search window since they apply to many other windows.

By default these windows are placed at the right and lower edges of the screen, but if you reposition them, they retain their new positions. If you have moved them to the side of the Search window, you will need to move them any time you reposition the Search window. However, if you keep them near the edge, and use the Zoom button on an Accordance window, the window will stay inside the two floating windows.

There are a couple of upcoming features that will help the management of these windows when space is an issue. In the meantime I suggest trying the Window menu item Hide/Show Palettes (option-command-zero) which quickly hides and restores any open floating windows.

I hope this helps.

Archived