Search result shown in table of contents

Nick Laurence

I may have dreamt this, but I think I saw somewhere that it is possible to get the table of contents to show you in which article a result is found. But I can't find how to do this. Let me give an example:

In the Anchor Bible Dictionary I search for the word "typology". Some of the results come up in very long articles, and I don't want to scroll up and down looking for what article a particular search result is in. Instead, I want the table of contents on the left to simply show me where I am. Sometimes when I search like this a little red marker comes up in the table of contents, but the table is still condensed, so this doesn't really help (it might indicate the result is in volume D-G, but you can imagine that's not helpful at all).

I think there's a trick you can do to achieve this, but perhaps I was dreaming. Does anyone know?

Thanks

Try option-clicking on the Table of Contents button, it should open and scroll to right where you are, showing the full hierarchy.

In many of our resources, if you do a "Copy as citation" it will tell all that information when you paste it into a document (including page number in suitably processed texts)

AYBD is one of them...eg

"Most scholars now understand Genesis 1 in terms of the ordering of already existing material."

“WORD OF GOD,” AYBD, 6:965.

Many thanks everyone - just what I need. And I'm sure it must have been that blog post that I read and failed to memorize.

• Like 1