User Tool Browser

Justin Burt

This may need to be a new topic, but it is still under User Tools so I am going to continue to thread my questions here unless told otherwise.

After I close my User Tools with a outline for the browser saved, I am unable to edit the outline again. I click the red "T" to unselect a line from the outline, but nothing happens, even when I update, no changes have taken place. The only way to get rid of the red "T" is to delete the entire line and retype it. Should I wait to do the outline, or is their a better workaround?

I went ahead and split this into a new topic. I cannot reproduce this bug, so please send me the file and let me see if I can find it on your file.

Justin,

This may be a wild goose chase, but something to check while you wait for Helen's response. Bore down through the following folders:

HOME/Documents/Accordance Files/User Tools where HOME is your user name/home folder.

Are there any files there that begin with ...? If so, are any of the file names completely or almost completely made up of dots? If so, drag all those files beginning with .. to the trash, and try editing your file again.

Those ... files are left over from the updating user tool process. Accordance is supposed to trash them after processing the update, but sometimes that doesn't happen. I've experienced problems editing user tools when the ... files become too numerous.

Then again, you may be experiencing something completely different.

Lorinda

I had no problem with your user tool. I wonder if you are trying to remove a title that is at the head of an article. You cannot do that, since each article must start with a title. The solution is to page up to the previous article, and then if the articles are not too long, you can remove the next title. to merge the articles.

Remember also that your block length can be set in the Preferences. Bigger blocks need less frequent updates but they take longer.

Thank you both for your help.

I was halfway done with my reply to give you more specifics on what I was exactly doing, and it started working again. I know I am unable to move that initial "T" so I just put my Title in white font, so it gets everything that I want and I am able to retain my format. And all of the folder seem to be fine at this point. Anyway, Thanks.

It is happening again. Here is when it occurs.

Everything works fine for a while. Then after I quit Accordance and restart it, I am unable to edit the red "T". If I take it and move it to another folder then move it back, I am able to edit them again??? I did check the folders and nothing seems to be out of the ordinary. Thanks for any suggestions.

I am sorry you are having with user files. The 7.4 release was mainly a bug fix release and a few changes for Leopard. There was a change in where we store temporary files (so that Time Machine would not try to backup). I wonder if your setup is something we did not properly prepare for (in terms of using temporary files).

Please answer these questions to help us track this down:

1. Is your 'Accordance Folder' (the folder with the application and modules) on your boot partition?

3. Are the user tools/notes you are having problems with located on the boot partition in /Users/(you)/Documents/Accordance Files/ ?

2. Are you logged in as an 'Administrator' ?

Not a problem. I have a new problem too :(, sorry. First let me answer your questions:

1. Yes.

2. Yes.

3. Yes.

Also, I am running OS X 10.4.10, I know that shouldn't mean anything, but it might help.

The new problem. This also should be on a new thread, I think?

When I open Accordance and select "Greek for the Rest of Us" module, then open to edit it, I am missing a lot of information, mainly all the titles that I have entered without text under them. They are not yet in the Browser Outline. After I update and go back to the main Accordance window, all the text is there, but it is still not in the edit window. There does seem to be space where the text could be, but I highlighted it all and change the font color to black, and nothing shows up. I was able to successfully copy everything from the main menu and paste it into Pages, so I have not lost anything. Do you think it would be best to just delete the User Tool and start over to see if it occurs again? Just let me know.

Thanks for all your help.

UPDATE: There is not extra space where the text could be, but it still shows up in the Module, not the edit window???

What font is the text in? Have you tried selecting it all and resetting the font itself?

What font is the text in? Have you tried selecting it all and resetting the font itself?

Yes. I tried changing it all the Helena, then back to Helvetica. So it is Helvetica I am using.

Ok, I have got something extremely weird going here :blink: . I have completely deleted (emptied Trash, went to arrange modules and deleted it and restarted Accordance) the User Tool "Greek for the Rest of Us" and started a new User Tool. When asked for a name, I named it the same "Greek for the Rest of Us" and continued with copying everything from Pages 08 into the new User Tool. Once I updated it, I noticed that the extra headings were still there without appearing in my Edit window. I thought maybe something in my formating, so I deleted it once again, (same as above) and copied the first line into the User Tool. Same thing. After doing this about 5 times, I thought maybe I just need to retype what I have and start again. However, when I name a User Tool "Greek for the Rest of Us", these mysterious headings ALWAYS appear, no matter what I do. I have ran McAfee Anit-Virus, just in case, and my system checks out OK. I have checked my Disks in Disk Utility, even restarted as though I was going to install a new OS X and check it again. Everything seems fine. I have saved everything (except that User Tool), uninstalled and reinstalled Accordance (just by copying it to my external HD then putting it back on). I even created a new user and tried it, the same thing happened. Sorry for the headache, but I am running out of ideas on what to do?!? Any suggestions? Re install Accordance?

I am running Mac OS X 10.4.10.

Justin:

The actual file that Accordance uses is in your user/Library/Accordance files/User Tools. Are you deleting that file? And are you deleting the file in Accordance folder/Modules/Shared User Tools? If you are not going to both locations I suspect that you are not starting with a completely clean slate. Deleting the file from the pop-up menus does not affect the actual files on the hard drive at all.

Yes. I am deleting the file in user/Library/Accordance files/User Tools, but nothing is in Accordance folder/Modules/Shared User Tool. I have looked, but nothing has ever been there. Even my two other User Tools I am working on are not there.

I just did a fresh install of Accordance. Same problem. I deleted user/Documents/Accordance files/User Tools and let Accordance put the folder back there. I did notice you had "Library" where I have "Documents". Is that normal?

I am thinking of doing a fresh install of Tiger and see where things go from there. I have tried everything I know to do, and nothing seems to be working. I have also tried to recreate what I was doing when this happened, but nothing seems messing up! Which is a good thing. Maybe just a fluke. Unless there is a reason not to, I am going to do it tomorrow morning, tonight your time.

Just did a clean install of Tiger and everything seems to be working great. Still no idea what was causing it.

Archived