Teaching with Dual Screen

Tom Childers

I am teaching 1 Timothy in a Bible class using Accordance 8.1. Here is my goal: I want on my computer screen the text of 1 Timothy, a search window, Robertson's Word Pictures, and my user notes. On the projector screen, I want the audience to see only one or two verses of 1 Timothy in 28-36 points. Here is what I do.

I set up a window with the Bible text, the commentary, and my user notes. I do a word search from the Bible text which creates a new tab. I detach the tab and tile it with my main window. Next, I open another Bible text and detach it. I change the font to about 30 points, move it to the projector (mirroring is off), and resize to fit the screen. I tie together the main window and the projector window by using windows - set - tie.

Next, I hit tab twice and enter 1Tim 4 in the "go to" box. I now have the text of 1 Timothy 4:1 in the windows on the computer screen and projector screen and they are in sync. Now, from my computer I can do a search, read my notes or the commentary and nothing changes on the projector screen until I change verses in the search screen. BTW, I use CMD - down arrow to move the next verse. This is smoother than scrolling by line. CMD - up arrow will jump to the beginning of the previous verse.

Without a doubt, Accordance 8.1 is meeting the challenge of effective Bible study and how to teach it to others.

• 2 weeks later...

As a follow up to using Accordance in dual screen mode, once you have your two screens the way you want them -- one on the computer and another on the projector screen or second monitor -- then save the session (file - save session), and the next time you open this session, the location of the two windows will be remembered as long as you have mirroring turned off.

Archived