Widget pasted texts not printing fonts correctly

Karyn Traphagen

I'm using NoteTaker for my courses. I frequently paste in a text from the Accordance Widget (Hebrew or Greek). They display fine in the document. I export the document to a PDF, and the PDF displays the fonts. However, when I go to print, I get the dreaded blank boxes instead of characters. Any text that I manually cut and paste from Accordance itself is fine. It's only the widget texts that have trouble. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Karyn

The widget is pasting text in Unicode. I wonder what font you are using to display and print the pasted text? And are you exporting text from Accordance to Unicode or leaving it in our fonts?

I've got Accordance to export Unicode.

The document font that the Widget text is pasted into was set to Helvetica. That displays a Hebrew text... but won't print it from a PDF. It prints the cantillation marks, but no characters. I switched the font to Lucida Grande and that didn't work either (even though the PDF shows the characters fine and all fonts are set to embed) to work. I prefer to use SBL Hebrew... but in NoteTaker that font does not line up the characters correctly with the nikkud.

But how do you export text from Accordance itself?

Have you tried Cardo font, and have you tried the Mellel word processor which does a good job of lining up the characters, especially in Hebrew?

I use Mellel (and love it) for all my wordprocessing. However, for notetaking, I use the NoteTaker program and that was where I was having the problem. In the middle of class I often want to quickly paste in a passage that we are referencing, hence the reason I use the Widget. However, it appears that somehow between the Widget, the NoteTaker program, production of a PDF and the printing of the PDF there is a breakdown. As I said, the PDF itself looks fine on screen, the characters are all fine, it is only when it is printed (from my own computer) that the output is not what is expected. The only thing I can isolate is that it is only when I am using Hebrew or Greek from the Widget. Any other type of Hebrew that is pasted or typed works fine. Since I am in the middle of finals right now, I'm going to backburner this. I hope to remedy it before next semester. If anyone has any other suggestions to try, I'm really open.

It sounds like it might be a problem with your driver reading things. Does the text still fail when printing do a different printer? Also, have you tried redownloading that printer's driver?

Archived