Keystroke for <within ?> inoperable

Anon

This may be or may not be known. If it has please feel free to delete this post.

When building a search argument, with words selected, an error occurs when using the keystroke (⇧⌘W). For example, I begin searching for the lexeme פקד=

Then, if I want to search for this lexeme and the definite direct object (DDO) morpheme within a defined amount of words (<within ? Words>), I attempt to key in my <within ? words> command with they keystroke. It deletes what I entered thus far and inserts curly brackets:

Can anybody reduplicate this?

N.B.: If I type or enter the search command from the menu, this does not happen — which leads me to suspect the keystroke command.

Thanks Accordance Team for all the hard work! :D

James:

The keystroke is working for me, so you need to show me with screenshare exactly what you are doing.

James:

The keystroke is working for me, so you need to show me with screenshare exactly what you are doing.

Thanks for responding, Helen. Your response sent me on a search, since your keystroke was operable. I forgot that I wrote a macro for morph tagging and had not delimited the scope only to BBEdit. I delimited the Macro and all is fine with the keystroke.

Thanks!

Thanks for responding, Helen. Your response sent me on a search, since your keystroke was operable. I forgot that I wrote a macro for morph tagging and had not delimited the scope only to BBEdit. I delimited the Macro and all is fine with the keystroke.

That'll do it. TextExpander or something, I take it?

That'll do it. TextExpander or something, I take it?

In this case, it was QuicKeys. I use QuicKeys for tags that require escape codes. (it doesn't type the text, but inserts it; I have had problems with the escape code when it is automated with a type process). I also use Typinator for expansion needs. I like both, but use QuicKeys more for morph tagging. Typinator is very handy for keying in texts, reducing possible scribal errors.

Good for you for using a savvy solution.

If you do all your tagging inside BBEdit, using scripts (Perl/Applescript) inside of BBedit would be the most robust.

Still, if you need to use a third party solution, QK is a good choice.

You know, I think TextMate would clearly be the absolute superior tagging environment of all time. You could code your own scope, actions, etc., but I am not aware of a single bible tagger who uses it. It does have a steep learning curve.

Good for you for using a savvy solution.

If you do all your tagging inside BBEdit, using scripts (Perl/Applescript) inside of BBedit would be the most robust.

Still, if you need to use a third party solution, QK is a good choice.

You know, I think TextMate would clearly be the absolute superior tagging environment of all time. You could code your own scope, actions, etc., but I am not aware of a single bible tagger who uses it. It does have a steep learning curve.

I would like to implement more Perl/Applescript material in my tagging. I am just learning the ropes of programming, and have purchased several books on Applescripts, Perl, and Python. I hope to eventually phase out QK. Once I learn more about programming and if more tagging opportunities arise, then I may take the time to learn TextMate. As of now, I am using Tex-Edit plus for its RTF capabilities. I have written numerous scripts to tag the information within a Tex-Edit document (i.e., for a certain Critical Apparatus).

What are your recommendations when it comes to learning Perl? Do you have any manuals you prefer?

Thanks!

What are your recommendations when it comes to learning Perl? Do you have any manuals you prefer?

I don't know if it's a good recommendation, but I'm a pretty decent Applescripter and can get by with Perl text manipulations, and all I've ever done is parse code to learn. One basic intro/tutorial and then google to find code that doe the kind of thing you're interested in and learn it.

Joe

Archived