Crash when checking for content updates

R. Mansfield

I wonder if this happens to anyone else? When I go to check for content updates in Accordance for iOS 1.7, the app crashes. It does not do this if I merely run Easy Install. I've restarted the iPad, but the issue persists. I've got my iPad Air set to automatically send crash reports, so there should be a few of them sent by now.

I'm running iOS 7.04.

Rick – I usually install the updates by syncing with my Mac, but I have just given it a try through iOS directly. I asked Accordance to check for updates. I got a long list (there have been a bunch in the last few days!). I told Accordance to download them. They were all downloaded – more than a full page in landscape mode – in about 5 minutes without a hitch.

Also running iOS 7.04.

When was the last time you rebooted your iPad?

P.S. It would sure be nice to have a progress bar during the download process!

When was the last time you rebooted your iPad?

I did it when I was trying to figure out what was going on with the update. It didn't help.

Rick,

There is a switch in the Accordance section of the iOS Settings app to clear our internal downloads cache on the next app restart. I would quit our app completely, turn this switch on, and then restart the app. If this fails to fix the issue then I wonder if we have done a module update that is not compatible with the iOS app and this might be causing the crash.

Scott, it still crashes even after clearing the download cache.

• 6 months later...

I would like to revisit this issue because it was never resolved.

After wiping my iPad (not because of this) and completely reinstalling all my apps including Accordance, I can download titles, but I cannot download updates without the app crashing.

I am now using Accordance for iOS v. 1.7.4. and iOS 7.1.2.

I realize I can always sync with my MacBook Pro, but it is not always convenient to do that. I would like to be able to update when I just have my iPad with me, too.

Any ideas?

Are there specific modules that are causing the crash or any module update will cause it?

Well, since the issue has been spread out for over a half year, and because I have a fresh install on my iPad, I would guess that any module update causes it.

Will you provide an example? Perhaps a screenshot of your updates list on the device would be best since that shows the name and version number of the installed and pending update.

I don't even get a an update list. This is the last thing I always see before it crashes:

update.PNG

And it even happens if I've cleared the download cache.

Thanks for the screenshot. That likely means it's crashing while trying to build the list of updates. Which is very rare. I'll have to think about how to reproduce it.

Rare perhaps, but also coincidental since it happens even after I wiped the iPad and started from scratch (I did not recreate from a backup).

Hmm. If you used Easy Install first then the latest module versions should have already been installed and the only items in the updates list would be based on the default installed items. I can look at that scenario.

And are you behind a proxy firewall by any chance? Not sure if it matters. Just looking for unusual contributing factors.

Well, the new install would have been about a month ago. I know based on updates on my laptops that there have been quite a few updates since then.

I'm not familiar with the firewall where I'm writing this, but I'm sure there is a pretty significant one in place. But at home it's just my Airport router. I've tried to update in at least three places.

Just to try it out, I turned off wifi and tried to update using cellular data, but the app crashed like it normally does.

Scott, I'm in no rush on any of this, but merely wanted to revisit it since it was never resolved.

If you want to call me at any point if that would be easier, feel free, but again, no rush.

Understood. I'll PM you when I get a chance to spend more time on it. I think grabbing a snapshot of what modules and their version numbers you currently have installed will be helpful. Unfortunately the only way to do that now is by generating a debugging log during WiFI syncing with the desktop app.

I have similar problem with IVP-hard sayings.

Update to 2.0 didnt work. I disinstalled the module.

Now I cant install anymore the IVP-hard saying.

It just stays in the list of installs

I have similar problem with IVP-hard sayings.

Update to 2.0 didnt work. I disinstalled the module.

Now I cant install anymore the IVP-hard saying.

It just stays in the list of installs

That's a different bug that we've already identified and fixed for the next release.

Same problem with Nave Topical.

That's a different bug that we've already identified and fixed for the next release.

Ok, thx!

Do you have idea when you can release it?

post-32606-0-67686700-1405713906_thumb.jpg

Wait. You're showing it in the Easy Install list which is different than module updating. Is your issue an Easy Install issue or a module updating issue?

Wait. You're showing it in the Easy Install list which is different than module updating. Is your issue an Easy Install issue or a module updating issue?

Both

Both

So in that long list of purchases available for Easy Install, only those 2 modules will not install? Or none of the module will install?

Edited by Scott Knapp

So in that long list of purchases available for Easy Install, only those 2 modules will not install? Or none of the module will install?

So far I tried only those two.

And when you try the app crashes? Or the modules don't install? And if you try a third?

And when you try the app crashes? Or the modules don't install? And if you try a third?

No crashes so far. It just doesnt get installed.

Other modules are installed, whether I try one by one, or with the IVP-hard saying. But not the IVP-hard saying.