finding verse ranges in user tools

Harry Hoffner

It is quite possible that this feature already exists and I have simply overlooked it. But in creating my own user tools I would like to have the ability one has with the commercial modules like Eerdmans Bible Dictionary or HALOT of entering a Scripture verse and returning examples in which that verse falls within a cited range. If I enter in one of my own user tools "Rom. 3:1-28", I would like to be able to search all my User Tools for "Rom. 3:23" and find those references as well in which the sought for verse is in a range. I suspect -- not being a programmer or able to compose with XML tags -- that the reason one can find such verses in EDB and HALOT is that the range is entered with a tag that somehow includes the middle verses, or not? If that is the case, then I probably cannot manage this in my own User Tools. Too bad.

Any suggestions?

This feature should work the same in user tools as in tools: any overlap between the scripture reference in the tool, and the search entry in the scripture field will highlight the reference.

Harry,

I'd like to to confirm Helen's words. Searching for Scripture in user tools works like a charm. Just be sure to have selected the scripture search in the drop down menu next to the user tool module drop down menu (where the attached picture says title).

post-687-1151746863_thumb.jpg

If I read your question more carefully, though, it seems that you are asking how to search all of your user tools for a specific verse which lies within a range of verses which have been designated with a Scripture link in that tool. If so, it still works. I've never had occasion to do this until just a minute ago, but it certainly works. I entered a range and linked it as Scripture in a user tool, then defined a search group of my user tools, and did a search for a single verse within the entered range. It popped up without delay. Again, be sure that the Scripture setting is selected in the drop down menu. There are three choices for language: English, Greek, Hebrew; then there is a choice for Scripture.

post-687-1151747593_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps you do what you want.

Harry,

I'd like to to confirm Helen's words. Searching for Scripture in user tools works like a charm. Just be sure to have selected the scripture search in the drop down menu next to the user tool module drop down menu (where the attached picture says title).

post-687-1151746863_thumb.jpg

If I read your question more carefully, though, it seems that you are asking how to search all of your user tools for a specific verse which lies within a range of verses which have been designated with a Scripture link in that tool. If so, it still works. I've never had occasion to do this until just a minute ago, but it certainly works. I entered a range and linked it as Scripture in a user tool, then defined a search group of my user tools, and did a search for a single verse within the entered range. It popped up without delay. Again, be sure that the Scripture setting is selected in the drop down menu. There are three choices for language: English, Greek, Hebrew; then there is a choice for Scripture.

post-687-1151747593_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps you do what you want.

Thanks very much.

Archived