Changing Footnote Number Fonts in Mellel?

Dr. Nathan Parker

I'm using Mellel to write my Turabian-formatted papers this semester so I can better learn the interface and get ready when I have to start taking Biblical Hebrew classes, and the only thing I cannot figure out so far is how to change the font of the actual footnote numbers to a different font. My professors want everything Courier New 12, and while everything else in my paper is, the footnote numbers are showing up Times New Roman.

How can I go in and change the font on those? Once I do that and polish up a few more things to my papers, I think I'll have some of the main stuff down!

Thanks a bunch!

Hello, Nathan:

The footnote font is the 'Note Text' character style. If you open the character style palette and edit that style, it will change the footnote font.

BTW, if you have not upgraded to version 3, I would highly recommend you do so.

Hi Nathan,

I am assuming you are using Mellel 3.

When you change the regular *style* to courier new 12 (ugly, ugly font) it will change the in-text superscript to courier new 12. The footnote itself is governed by the "note text" style. When you change this, your footnote content and number will change to your selected font.

The easiest way to do this is using the style bar in the Mellel toolbar (see my attached shots)

post-29509-0-94097800-1348786701_thumb.jpeg

post-29509-0-81094400-1348786698_thumb.jpeg

Hope this helps

Edited by Ken Simpson

Thanks a bunch guys! That was perfect! I agree that the font is ugly too, but it's what my professors want. I'm hoping one of these days, academic institutions will break free from Courier and embrace a little creativity in papers. :-)

Schools are different all over. My school insisted on Times New Roman, though you could get away with anything that was a reasonably close resemblance. The advantage of TNR is that its unicode Greek and Hebrew aren't bad at all.

So, if you can't change font, maybe you should change school ;)