Copying Hebrew

M.Chris.Schwartz

I am trying to copy Hebrew into a pages document. Each time I do it, it reverse the lines. The first line is on the bottom. Is there a way to remedy this?

I think you are keeping the text in Yehudit, which is fine for your own use. You must make the text pane in Accordance narrower than that of Pages so that the text does not wrap. The lines you export must fit in pages without wrapping or dividing, since Yehudit is not a true right-to-left font.

The alternative is to set Preferences: Greek & Hebrew to export to Unicode, but Pages is not very good at righ-to-left unicode either, better than Word, but not nearly as good as Mellel or Nisus.

I would only add to Helen's reply that Pages will do better with Unicode Hebrew that has vowels and cantillation stripped from it (a checkbox in the Greek & Hebrew preferences). I also personally like the SBL Unicode fonts.

• 4 weeks later...

I would only add to Helen's reply that Pages will do better with Unicode Hebrew that has vowels and cantillation stripped from it (a checkbox in the Greek & Hebrew preferences). I also personally like the SBL Unicode fonts.

I wondered if you could help. I have been trying to figure out how to copy into Scrivener with the unicode SBL fonts. I have set the preferences in Accordance to export to Unicode, but when I copy and paste into Scrivener, the Lucida Grande font is being pasted into the document with Greek and Hebrew letters. I then have to highlight and select the SBL font from the font menu in Scrivener to get the font type I desire. Am I missing a step or setup option in Accordance?

Edit: Scrivener is built on OS X's text edit program, so I don't know if that is a limitation, but I have the same problem pasting into Mellel as well.

Edited by J A Miller

You cannot select the font in Accordance, but can you try pasting as plain text after setting the font in Scrivener?

You cannot select the font in Accordance, but can you try pasting as plain text after setting the font in Scrivener?

I am sorry, but I am not sure I am following you. I only have the option to "Paste" in Scrivener. E.g., sometimes I want to copy a root form from a Hebrew or Greek dictionary or highlight Hebrew or Greek text from the Hebrew or Greek testaments, so I highlight the word, right-click - copy, then in Scrivener or Mellel I right-click - paste. The results are the same for both Scrivener and Mellel: I get the text in Hebrew or Greek characters but the font is Lucida Grande. I then have to highlight the Hebrew or Greek and select the SBL Hebrew or SBL Greek font. Is there a different way to do the same thing?

In MS Word there is an option to paste as plain text, and many programs support shift-option-command-V to do the same thing. This then ignores the style information in the clipboard and continues the current font and style at the insertion point in the document.

• Like 1

Thank you for the response, Helen. I have learned something new today. I found out that if I switch to the SBL font in Mellel and Scrivener and then do a plain paste the text will be pasted in the SBL font.

I will use this option as a workaround for now, in the hope that a future version of Accordance will allow the user to choose which font to export for various languages (English, Greek, Hebrew). This is something I miss from my work in BibleWorks which does include this functionality.

Note that you can also create a Character Style in Mellel just for Hebrew. Once this is done, either select a portion of text and double-click the style (see shot below) or double-click it before pasting. This should save you some time in changing the font, and size every time you want to copy/paste Hebrew.

post-5629-125615636147_thumb.png

Note that you can also create a Character Style in Mellel just for Hebrew. Once this is done, either select a portion of text and double-click the style (see shot below) or double-click it before pasting. This should save you some time in changing the font, and size every time you want to copy/paste Hebrew.

post-5629-125615636147_thumb.png

Thanks for the tip.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Sorry for asking this here. This thread has been very useful to me. But I bumped into a minor problem that when I changed the font to SBL Hebrew in Mellel, there appeared an arrow pointing towards the left above some of my Hebrew characters. I don't have this problem when I changed the font to Yehudit. But as Helen has said, this is not a true right to left font.

How come?

YingLam

These are direction change indicators, and only appear in certain fonts. Try Cardo, for example. There is a post on this topic, but I cannot take time to locate it now.

• 5 years later...

Is there an updated way on how to copy and paste Hebrew Text over to MS Word (mac 2011; version 14.5.8)? When I try right now, the text pastes backwards. 

Be sure to set the export to Unicode. Word supports Hebrew much better now.

Thanks, Helen! 

How do set the export to Unicode?